HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
For YFC, I may be blind to the current use, but I don't really see much use as a cargo airport for it, mostly because we don't really have cargo infrastructure around it to make use of it. Lincoln road would need updates; and really Fredericton isn't really the sort of place you think of when you think of Cargo.

I'm not sure if a Freddy-SJ Airport would happen; but if it did, YFC would probably be demoted to just a commuter/education airport, mainly for government and business traffic, and probably continuing/expanding use of the Flight School.

YSJ is pivoting already for more cargo use, and SJ already has a lot of cargo experience in general, so pushing YSJ further towards a Cargo purpose would make sense.
I thought I’d read it previously that YFC already has a higher cargo volume than YSJ, but I’d have to look into that again to be sure.

Seems getting any big idea to happen in New Brunswick is pretty challenging, but not impossible. While there tends to be some competition and even animosity between Saint John and Fredericton, working together on turning this idea into a a reality would be good for both cities in the long run. The two combined CMAs would be well over 500k one day, and an airport located 30 minutes from each CMA just makes logical sense, and not only would it be good for Fredericton and Saint John to have an airport to compete with YQM, it would be a good thing for Moncton too. 20 years ago there was only 1 major airport in the maritimes… I’d like to think 20 years from now it could be possible for there to be three or even four good airports in the Maritimes if PEI's population really explodes.

Lessening the confusion between Saint John and St. John’s would just be the icing on the cake for Saint Johnners, but the increased availability of flights is the real crux of why it should happen, for both Saint John and Fredericton.

Last edited by EnvisionSaintJohn; Jun 12, 2024 at 6:13 AM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
The E175-E2 has failed to generate any US orders at all (US regionals can't fly them) so I expect that would have increased pressure on Embraer to cut pricing to get sales.
And Porter likely got the benefit of that. They originally planned on the CSeries (I hate calling it the A220) when they were banking on the feds allowing it access to Billy Bishop. They probably saved a bundle in the end.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
And Porter likely got the benefit of that. They originally planned on the CSeries (I hate calling it the A220) when they were banking on the feds allowing it access to Billy Bishop. They probably saved a bundle in the end.
Yep, the two new Embrear E2's (175 and 195) aren't exactly selling like hotcakes. That usually means big discounts for someone willing to order a bunch. Less range and capacity for the 195-E2 vs the A220 must not be an issue for Porter's intended use.......or the $ savings offset any drawbacks.

https://epsilonaviation.wordpress.co...rline%20groups.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 12:27 PM

Some interesting comments from outgoing Flair CEO...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/fla...down-1.7234229

A couple of thoughts come to mind.....

1. With regards to predatory pricing and the Competition Bureau. A federal government body that is cumbersome, slow and ineffective......Gee, what a surprise.

2. user fees. Many countries treat air transportation as being in the national interest. Airports, ATC, security and safety regulation all receive significant spending and support. In Canada they generate significant fees from users.

Something to think about.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 12:37 PM

In a country the size of Canada with no contiguous HSR, I'd consider airlines (or maybe airpots) a form of essential mass transit (just like buses and local rail) and wouldn't be against subsidizing them (officially), at least for domestic routes.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 3:00 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Some interesting comments from outgoing Flair CEO...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/fla...down-1.7234229

A couple of thoughts come to mind.....

1. With regards to predatory pricing and the Competition Bureau. A federal government body that is cumbersome, slow and ineffective......Gee, what a surprise.

2. user fees. Many countries treat air transportation as being in the national interest. Airports, ATC, security and safety regulation all receive significant spending and support. In Canada they generate significant fees from users.

Something to think about.
If only there were some other ways for the government of NB and the government of Canada to raise more revenue and invest it in airports and subsidizing air routes.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvisionSaintJohn View Post
If only there were some other ways for the government of NB and the government of Canada to raise more revenue and invest it in airports and subsidizing air routes.
I don't think the government necessarily needs to invest more in airports or subsidizing routes. I expect most airports and airlines would be pretty happy if they would just stop sucking so much cash out of the industry.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post

Regarding WestJet's new Basic fare, you do realize Porter has had a similar fare category since day one. Porter Basic doesn't allow a carry-on.
Porter Basic doesn't charge $135 for a checked bag though. When I fly Basic the fee is only $40 for my checked suitcase. I also don't get automatically stuck at the back of the plane.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:54 PM

Lots of congestion at YQM this morning as there were 2 WestJet and a Porter flight all scheduled to depart with 35 minutes (0700,0715 and 0735). The security line was nearly out onto the sidewalk at 0600 and both WestJet flights ended up departing 30+ minutes late. CATSA needs to staff for demand......they charge enough in fees.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Big city problems.

Seriously though, the "lumpiness" of the departure schedule at YQM is problematic. Early morning hours can be very busy, but the rest of the day more sedate. I understand the reason for this (making connections) but, it would be nice if departures were more distributed during the day.

Eventually the airport may need to be expanded (more security lines and larger departure lounge).

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:55 PM

Might help if there was an airport serving both the Saint John and Fredericton regions that could actually compete with the Moncton Airports, so less people from SJ and Freddy end up using Moncton’s airport instead.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvisionSaintJohn View Post
Might help if there was an airport serving both the Saint John and Fredericton regions that could actually compete with the Moncton Airports, so less people from SJ and Freddy end up using Moncton’s airport instead.
Lol as if the people from SJ and Freddy are the cause of this congestion.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces