HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 4:10 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I can whip up some pretty good nachos

Part of the reason I asked my question was because I was wondering if there were any plans for something like that in Toronto or Vancouver. If it's already happening in North America, it can't be long before those cities get their own venues.
Vancouver has The Gaming Stadium.

https://thegamingstadium.com/renders-and-concepts/

Again, not large. Larger eSports events can just use standard arenas and auditoriums if needed. Thing with eSports is that it's essentially made for watching at home.

Dota2 at Rogers Arena: https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...ort-tournament

https://rogersarena.com/event/the-in...championships/

Northern Arena at Bell Centre:
https://thelinknewspaper.ca/article/...at-bell-centre

NBA teams have bought into eSports more than the NHL but sports franchises are owning and operating eSports teams at increasing rates.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 11:31 PM

I can see a day not too far in the future where esports has tours like concert acts or maybe it will be something similar to UFC. Have your regular, larger cities in North America hosting events on a regular basis while smaller cities host on a more infrequent basis.

I always get a quick out of that ESports show on 1290 TSN on weekends. Mostly background noise, but the hosts like to speak with the utmost earnestness as to what the transition to the real world will be for an esports "athlete" once they have to retire. Oh and they usually rant every few weeks about how Esports will have to included in the Olympics at some point.

I'm sorry but NO. Yes, they are sitting there processing information at a incredible rate while communicating with their team and have impressive finger dexterity I guess, but there is no way a "sport" in which people are stationary in one spot should be included in the Games. They might as well include chess and darts while they are at it.

Offhand, I would love to see Crossfit as part of the Olympics. Now there is an exciting sport.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 2:40 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Oh and they usually rant every few weeks about how Esports will have to included in the Olympics at some point.

I'm sorry but NO. Yes, they are sitting there processing information at a incredible rate while communicating with their team and have impressive finger dexterity I guess, but there is no way a "sport" in which people are stationary in one spot should be included in the Games. They might as well include chess and darts while they are at it.
There's nothing really preventing the Olympics from getting in on this and creating something like an eLympics. Make it for tech/online/whatever. Have it be under the auspice of the IOC but separate from the physical Olympics.

At what point do you separate Olympic sports from non-Olympic sports? Do you consider Equestrian a sport? Motorsports? Archery? Shooting? etc. I'm always curious where people create their own imaginary lines separating acceptable and unacceptable.

Quote:
Offhand, I would love to see Crossfit as part of the Olympics. Now there is an exciting sport.
We'll agree to disagree, I suppose. I'm looking forward to sport climbing...breakdancing will be fun but I dislike judged events.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 3:35 AM

^ Sport climbing is already a World Games event... maybe that's where eSports will get its test run on the world sports stage.

Also, to play the Devil's advocate here, shooting is already an Olympic event... who is to say that the video game version shouldn't be too?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
There's nothing really preventing the Olympics from getting in on this and creating something like an eLympics. Make it for tech/online/whatever. Have it be under the auspice of the IOC but separate from the physical Olympics.

At what point do you separate Olympic sports from non-Olympic sports? Do you consider Equestrian a sport? Motorsports? Archery? Shooting? etc. I'm always curious where people create their own imaginary lines separating acceptable and unacceptable.

We'll agree to disagree, I suppose. I'm looking forward to sport climbing...breakdancing will be fun but I dislike judged events.
Motorsports is not in the Olympics. You could probably do away with things like Archery, Shooting and Equestrian as that is larger a pursuit of the European Bourgeousie that has a prominent influence on the IOC. It should be noted none of those things involve sitting in a chair stationary the entire time. Even motorsports requires a huge amount of endurance and concentration required for it is probably far greater then for video games.

Crossfit has gained quite a few inroads the past decade and the athletes involved arguably combine the greatest combination of strength and endurance in the world.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 2:28 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Motorsports is not in the Olympics.
Of course not, but sailing and equestrian are. Where's the line?

Quote:
You could probably do away with things like Archery, Shooting and Equestrian as that is larger a pursuit of the European Bourgeousie that has a prominent influence on the IOC. It should be noted none of those things involve sitting in a chair stationary the entire time. Even motorsports requires a huge amount of endurance and concentration required for it is probably far greater then for video games.
Target shooting and archery don't require much movement whatsoever. You're basically standing in one position the entire time. Is your requirement for a sport that the athlete is moving?

I'd argue that eSports require a huge amount of endurance and concentration, along with teamwork and situational analysis. It's certainly more interesting than something like shooting stationary targets.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 3:37 PM
I am the law!

I don't think it's just about attracting a new younger audience. You need more medals to allow for new record hauls to keep the existing audience interested.

I watched an E Sports competition. It is as boring as watching people shoot targets. Badminton is freaking hilarious but, the uniforms aren't as compelling as womens beach volleyball so it doesn't make it to TV. It's time for the IOC to stop fooling itself and approve a mens and womens bikini beauty pageant medal event.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 5:19 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:

Target shooting and archery don't require much movement whatsoever. You're basically standing in one position the entire time. Is your requirement for a sport that the athlete is moving?
For me it is semantics....many things can be competitive sports checkers/chess, eSports, football, hockey etc. It's the calling of participants "Athletes". Someone playing eSports is NOT and athlete. They are players of a game. High level chess players are not athletes. Hockey players and track and field competitors are athletes.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 9:52 PM
ARTchitecture

I guess this has never been posted before, but Red Deer's new downtown arena has been completed, as has a major new sports complex at Red Deer College...

Servus Arena - Red Deer - 1360 seats

https://twitter.com/hashtag/servusarena

https://www.gecarchitecture.com/servus-arena

Gary W. Harris Canada Games Centre

https://rdc.ab.ca/about/community/hi.../photo-gallery

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 11:12 PM

Between Servus and the Centrium, Red Deer has some fantastic facilities for hockey.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 1:15 AM
ARTchitecture

Most definitely. The Centrium is an amazing venue for sports and pretty much anything else a major arena could be used for. Surprised to read that their renovation in 2012 added a bunch more luxury boxes, I wouldn't expect those in a tier 2 arena, but very cool nonetheless.

https://visitreddeer.com/experiences/skating/

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Most definitely. The Centrium is an amazing venue for sports and pretty much anything else a major arena could be used for. Surprised to read that their renovation in 2012 added a bunch more luxury boxes, I wouldn't expect those in a tier 2 arena, but very cool nonetheless.
Even junior A rinks have those now!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Even junior A rinks have those now!
Our junior b rink has them

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 3:35 PM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
Our junior b rink has them
Yup, our local junior A/B rink has luxury boxes too - facility opened in 2004 and has ~2700 seats.

The rink also hosts our Senior A WLA lacrosse team - the Shamrocks - which also use the boxes.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 6:09 PM
ハルウララ

cc: esquire

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/.../Fortnite.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBD
The inaugural Fortnite World Cup Finals will take place at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in N.Y. from July 26-28, Epic Games and Endeavor announced today. The companies launched pre-registration today for fans interested in buying tickets when they go on sale. Tickets start at $50 for a three-day pass. The event will feature a $30M prize pool, with the champion individual player taking home at least $3M. The competition will include the top 100 solo players and top 50 duos teams.
If Stade Uniprix or York Tennis Stadium are looking for additional events to fill their calendar...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 6:17 PM

^ Mind. Blown.

This is one of the first times I've genuinely felt old, in the sense of "just what are those crazy kids up to?!"

But that said, I'm sure a lot of venues will be chomping at the bit to start booking these events given that they appear to be a legitimate draw.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 8:28 PM

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 9:02 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
^ Mind. Blown.

This is one of the first times I've genuinely felt old, in the sense of "just what are those crazy kids up to?!"

But that said, I'm sure a lot of venues will be chomping at the bit to start booking these events given that they appear to be a legitimate draw.
There's also an Overwatch League with teams in Vancouver and Toronto. Minimum player salaries are $50,000/yr. Watch out NHL!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 9:02 PM
ハルウララ

Westhills Stadium in Langford:

via van_islander @ Twitter

Pretty neat to see timber stands.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 5:56 PM
is watching.

Quote:
Westhills Stadium in Langford:
Pretty neat to see timber stands.
The assembly is moving pretty fast now - I'll get some more distant shots later this week to show how it all looks.

Footings are ready on the west side - no stands being put up there yet tho.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada