HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 15, 2024, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Hey fellas. Huge admirer of the Phoenix Metro and Arizona as a whole here. I'll be leaving the Boston area for a Phoenix / AZ vacation on Halloween. Gonna spend a couple days in Phoenix Metro and then a day in Flagstaff / Sedona and a day in Grand Canyon Village area. Any recommendations would be warmly welcomed and greatly appreciated. Weather should be interesting because I'm expecting PHX to be low 80s during the afternoons and Flagstaff and Grand Canyon Village to be mid20s at night! Will be staying in Scottsdale, Flagstaff, and GCV. My goal is to see as much insanely beautiful and impressive scenery / landscapes as I can.
Sedona has far too many places to see on foot and too remote to do by car so be sure book the Pink Jeep Tours.

Metro Phoenix has a great variety of terrain types. Recommend using the hiking websites (e.g. https://www.alltrails.com/us/arizona ) to scout places to visit and motorcycle ride recs for great drives (e.g. https://www.theadvocates.com/arizona...ds-in-arizona/ ). Some good ones off the top of my head: Camelback Echo Canyon side, Piestewa Drive around Piestewa Peak trailhead, Different Pointe of View restaurant, Dobbins Lookout, Papago Park, Apache Trail to Theodore Roosevelt Lake (not sure how much of this trail is open), Lost Dutchman State Park, Ahwatukee Foothills from Desert Foothills Trailhead along Desert Foothills Pkwy to Chandler Blvd to the neighborhood on the 35th Ave hill, the Boulders, Fountain Hills, Highway 87 through the Salt River Pima Maricopa Indian Community, and McDowell Mountain Regional Park.

There's a lot of varied terrain within the Phoenix metro.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 12:45 AM

Smile Boston Back Bay ...Newton...Scottsdale...Jerome...Prescott...Tucson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenBuffett2024 View Post
Hey fellas. Huge admirer of the Phoenix Metro and Arizona as a whole here. I'll be leaving the Boston area for a Phoenix / AZ vacation on Halloween. Gonna spend a couple days in Phoenix Metro and then a day in Flagstaff / Sedona and a day in Grand Canyon Village area. Any recommendations would be warmly welcomed and greatly appreciated. Weather should be interesting because I'm expecting PHX to be low 80s during the afternoons and Flagstaff and Grand Canyon Village to be mid20s at night! Will be staying in Scottsdale, Flagstaff, and GCV. My goal is to see as much insanely beautiful and impressive scenery / landscapes as I can.
Be brave...and come now - you could save $$ on your hotel bill in Scottsdale! HA! Grew up in Scottsdale - old Scottsdale - and know Boston well - my parents came to Phoenix from there (Newton) many moons ago - when Phoenix was a small outpost. I spent many summers as a kid in New England - Mass. the Cape...Rhode Island...etc. Lived and worked one summer on Newbury St. from Arlington "Ahhhlington" (The Public Garden - "Gahhhden") to Mass. Ave. How did I survive what I did in my youth!

Scottsdale:
The Sugar Bowl on Scottsdale Rd. - just south of Indian School Rd. Been there for decades and decades. Simple ...old soda fountain style for ice cream and sandwiches. Old Family Circus cartoon prints on walls - cause Bil Keane lived on the side of Mummy Mountain from the 1950s - till he died.

Los Olivos Mexican Restaurant: The only Mexican Restaurant I ever go to in Scottdale - because I've been going there since I was a kid. 2nd St and Brown.

Taliesin West: Frank Lloyed Wright's winter home.

Paolo Soleri gallery: Double Tree - west of Scottsdale Rd.

Sedona:
I avoid Sedona. Yes, the red rocks are beautiful...and if you have never been there - you have to go at least once. The roads are jammed packed with tourist.

Jerome:
Just south of Sedona on Highway 89 - up halfway on Mingus Mountain ...is the old mining town of Jerome. Go during the week - beat any crowds. It has transformed into a great spot for shops and restaurants. Get a window seat at Haunted Hamburger - and you get a beautiful view of the Verde Valley below - including the red rocks of Sedona.

Prescott:
(where I live) continue south on 89 - go over the top of Mingus Mountain - you come to Prescott. The original territorial capital of Arizona. It is over 5,500 feet - 20 degrees cooler than Phoenix. It is on the edge of the Bradshaw Mountains - the Prescott National Forest. The courthouse square is a great place for shops, restaurants, and antique stores - Whiskey Row (has the oldest bar in Arizona). Senator Barry Goldwater announced his run for the Presidency on the steps of the courthouse. Up from the courthouse is the Sharlot Hall Museum. It has the original Fremont House. Fremont was the territorial governor. He later moved to California - became governor there - and Fremont, California was named after him. Right up from there on Gurley is the Liquor Deli. Great sandwiches.

Tucson:
If you have time - a quick 1 1/2 hour drive from Phoenix. It is nearly three times as high as Phoenix - and great big beautiful mountains surround it. The University of Arizona campus is a beautiful campus - with red brick buildings. On campus, is The Center for Creative Photography houses Ansel Adams photo archives. Just south of Tucson - west of I-19 - is the San Xavier del Bac Mission. It was built in the late 1700s before Mexico won its independence from Spain. The reason the right tower was never completed - if it had been finished - Spain would have stopped sending funds. There is also the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum...and the DeGrazia Gallery on North Swan.

Have a great trip!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 3:36 PM

Thank you both very much for your very thoughtful and considerate replies. I will reply with a more thorough and appreciative message later, when I’m out of work. @azcats I am from Fall River and currently work as a high school teacher in the city. Tough job. Do not recommend. Just a temp post-college transition job for me but nonetheless miserable. Anyways, I went to BC and lived in Newton for a few years. I also frequent Providence on a weekly basis. I’ll be leaving New England soon…good riddance.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 3:57 PM

Do anything along highway 89a

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest