HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Wegmans' aesthetic is dated generally,
You cannot convince me that one guy with a copy of Photoshop 2.0 didn't design the logos for Walgreens, Wegmans and the Washingtion Nationals in one night after drinking a 2-liter of Jolt Cola.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 5:31 PM
Philly Pholly

The Giant Eagle in W PA is very nice, in most locations. I've always been surprised they've not moved in here

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
You cannot convince me that one guy with a copy of Photoshop 2.0 didn't design the logos for Walgreens, Wegmans and the Washingtion Nationals in one night after drinking a 2-liter of Jolt Cola.
So true, every time the Phils play the Nationals, my daughters are like, "oh, they're playing the Walgreens team again."

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Lemme guess....you're a graphic designer. lol

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 9:17 PM

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/el...-20231024.html

I'm liking her more everyday. For now.

Enough is enough. Time to round up the crumb bumbs and create a negative incentive for open air drug use.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 2:54 AM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:

Enough is enough. Time to round up the crumb bumbs and create a negative incentive for open air drug use.
Que the rapid debate in 3 2 1.....

In all seriousness though, Kensington does need to be cleared out, no SIS or a soft hands on approach is gonna fix this.

Kensington is home to good working class people who deserve to have clean streets, Parks as nice as Rittenhouse Square, safe blocks, and a thriving economy.

Drugs, crime, and dilapidated structures is not what the people of Kensington deserve nor does the rest of the city.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 9:32 AM
Philly Pholly

automatic sidewalk sprays
everymorning

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 12:41 PM

Quote:

a lot of progressives will be clutching their pearls no doubt.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 3:37 PM
Chris

This is good news! Maybe planners are reading the complaints on this forum.
Too long to summarize, so I shared some important points...

Will a revitalized ‘cleaner, greener, safer’ South Broad Street rescue the arts?
https://www.inquirer.com/arts/kimmel...-20231025.html

But the Avenue of the Arts concept is entering its fourth decade and that streetscape is in need of a refresh. The checkerboard pavers, planters, and retro light poles installed from City Hall to just below Washington Ave. were products of their time, and now the nonprofit group that shares in overseeing the boulevard’s welfare has begun to consider the next generation of street furniture and other improvements.

The light poles and pavers are staying, but it’s time to look at what will draw people today, says Avenue of the Arts, Inc. executive director Laura Burkhardt, “and that is a cleaner, greener, safer Avenue.”

For many visitors, whether they’re in town from London or Langhorne, this is the stretch that defines the image of the city.

And yet since the pandemic, South Broad is showing signs of strain. Retail has largely left — a consequence of e-commerce as much as anything Philadelphia-specific, but troubling nonetheless. The street can be chaotic. Patrons leaving the theater are sometimes hit with the buzz-saw sounds of ATVs going up and down Broad Street (and elsewhere).

Some days it feels lonely. The number of visitors to South Broad from City Hall to Pine St. plunged with the pandemic. So far in 2023, the area has received an average of 10,304 daily visitors, or about half of the 18,395 who passed through the area each day in 2019, according to data accessed by the Center City District from Placer.ai.
Sitting on the cusp of the pandemic — as we are now — is instructive.

To help with making Broad Street safer and greener, Avenue of the Arts, Inc. has engaged Gensler (the architecture and design firm working on the proposed 76ers arena project on Market Street) and landscape and urban planning firm OJB to come up with concepts.

Planners are several months from having a blueprint for the next generation of streetscape improvements. But ideas are likely to include landscaping, signage, outdoor dining, and bringing art out onto the street, as well as new crosswalks and other changes to help reduce the power differential between pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
Avenue of the Arts, Inc. might not have the resources to re-ignite South Broad on the scale of the initial investment in the early 1990s, which included federal, state, and city funds. These new changes will be more modest and may have to roll out over several years as funding comes available.

But that doesn’t mean that a smart, ambitious project can’t be a powerful catalyst.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 3:46 PM

South Broad really needs work from spruce below. It’s honestly kinda depressing especially when just the north/south blocks directly to the west and east are decently charming and well kept. The block between Ellesworth and Washington is so depressing. The only saving grace on that block is Solar Myth lol.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 3:55 PM

The statement "retail has left south Broad" is the most impactful statement in that piece.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 4:12 PM

That’s great. Gensler is top notch. Tbh, South Broad was never a retail magnet and the significant ones that left (ie Banana Republic, Borders and RL) just sort of cycled out. Those spaces have or are in the process of being replaced with other decent tenants. Although, I’ll admit TD Bank in the Banana space was a downgrade.

The restaurant scene on South Broad is definitely a bright spot and I assume it’ll only get better as long as they get QOL issues under control. I walked by Loch Bar the other day and it really adds vitality to that corner.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
The statement "retail has left south Broad" is the most impactful statement in that piece.
The foot traffic needs to come back. Right now I think the traffic is to chaotic and Broad street needs more pedestrian and biking amenities. There are lots of cars but no one is stopping at Broad street to walk around.

I'm not sure what retail can fit that area, Maybe another Target? Replacing the one at 12th and Chestnut. Maybe a Wegman's?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
The foot traffic needs to come back. Right now I think the traffic is to chaotic and Broad street needs more pedestrian and biking amenities. There are lots of cars but no one is stopping at Broad street to walk around.

I'm not sure what retail can fit that area, Maybe another Target? Replacing the one at 12th and Chestnut. Maybe a Wegman's?
According to the July CCD report, foot traffic has reached 92% of 2019 levels. It’s apparently been boosted with the increase of the area’s residential population. I assume the article is just referring to non resident visitors/workers. So I think it’s probably doing okay in that respect - it’s never really been Midtown at rush hour.

There aren’t really any large retail spaces available on South Broad in CC for a Target etc. Everything that I can think of is occupied or is on its way to be which is a good sign

Last edited by skyhigh07; Oct 25, 2023 at 5:19 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post

If there are two anchors -- the complexes at Broad & Washington and then Broad & Walnut -- it will naturally increase foot traffic.

Then it's a no-brainer to fill in between the two. Honestly, it's astounding to me that it already hasn't happened. There should be a line of 10-40 story buildings from between these two anchors, with tons of cool retail and restaurants.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 6:35 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
According to the July CCD report, foot traffic has reached 92% of 2019 levels. It’s apparently been boosted with the increase of the area’s residential population. I assume the article is just referring to non resident visitors/workers. So I think it’s probably doing okay in that respect - it’s never really been Midtown at rush hour.

There aren’t really any large retail spaces available on South Broad in CC for a Target etc. Everything that I can think of is occupied or is on its way to be which is a good sign
Is that figure Center City or Broad Street specific? Center City at-large is near full recovery, but South Broad may be struggling, which wouldn't shock me.

But to your previous point, Loch Bar is a great addition, the new Insomnia HQ will help, the Hyatt renovations are underway, and hopefully Dranoff will start his next apartment tower soon. It's not rocket science as to what Broad Street needs, but it's a slow piecemeal approach.

Eradicating the dirt bike issue is also paramount to creating an inviting stretch of roadway. And I'm sure I will get flak for this, but the Broad Street Ministry should be relocated off a main avenue.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 6:40 PM

Quote:
If there are two anchors -- the complexes at Broad & Washington and then Broad & Walnut -- it will naturally increase foot traffic.

Then it's a no-brainer to fill in between the two. Honestly, it's astounding to me that it already hasn't happened. There should be a line of 10-40 story buildings from between these two anchors, with tons of cool retail and restaurants.
I’s say there’s a fair amount of nice restaurants from City Hall to Pine or so. You also have UArts and various performing arts venues occupying any potential retail spaces. CC retail is what it is.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
I’s say there’s a fair amount of nice restaurants from City Hall to Pine or so. You also have UArts and various performing arts venues occupying any potential retail spaces. CC retail is what it is.
There is a ton of space for new construction from Bainbridge to Washington. It is ridiculously underperforming. Again, there should be 10-40 story structures the length of Broad from City Hall to Washington. It can support it.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Is that figure Center City or Broad Street specific? Center City at-large is near full recovery, but South Broad may be struggling, which wouldn't shock me.

But to your previous point, Loch Bar is a great addition, the new Insomnia HQ will help, the Hyatt renovations are underway, and hopefully Dranoff will start his next apartment tower soon. It's not rocket science as to what Broad Street needs, but it's a slow piecemeal approach.

Eradicating the dirt bike issue is also paramount to creating an inviting stretch of roadway. And I'm sure I will get flak for this, but the Broad Street Ministry should be relocated off a main avenue.
It’d be surprising if there were significant foot traffic differences between S Broad and CC overall. Again, the article just referenced “visitors” so their point is somewhat unclear.

Honestly, South Broad always felt mostly dominated by students and staff during the day. Used to be a little drab pre-Cambria. That parking garage was horrible. The Bellevue food court and Borders were good anchors but those spaces are getting good replacements so I’m not too worried in that aspect.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 6:54 PM

Quote:
There is a ton of space for new construction from Bainbridge to Washington. It is ridiculously underperforming. Again, there should be 10-40 story structures the length of Broad from City Hall to Washington. It can support it.
I hope so. I’m not too familiar with that area. Hopefully 1001 S Broad will be the catalyst.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development