HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Yes. Rana needs to keep pushing major issues. I was a conservative for years, and to a degree I remain one, but I am leaning towards Rana.
I am leaning that way as well..but only if she has a chance to win.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 9:25 PM
Ignore these four words.

I'm hoping Rana Bohkari steps up her game in the coming months before the Spring election because I can't stand Selinger and I can't see myself supporting Pallister.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 9:30 PM
BANNED

I think the province needs her fresh approach. I am particularly pleased by her pledge to phase out the payroll tax.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 3:00 PM
North End Troublemaker

Not really construction related, so I thought I would put this here... Has anyone gone over the new Condominium Act that got put in place in February of this year? What sort of changes/regulations have they set on condo corps?

I've glanced at it, and read a few pieces, but haven't had a chance to go over the whole thing. Anyone with opinions?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 7:21 PM

I didn't know where to post this tidbit, but the new "Star Wars" movie will be playing at the Regina IMAX theatre. The Regina IMAX is only one of 15 IMAX theatres worldwide that will be playing this movie. Well, since Star Wars is playing there, I may actually pay $$$ to see it. Lol!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 7:27 PM

I seen the original release about 10 + times. except it's opening in 4,000 theaters worldwide this time...

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
I seen the original release about 10 + times. except it's opening in 4,000 theaters worldwide this time...

Video Link
4000 theatres, combined with, say, 20,000 movie screens? Lol! It will be quite an opener!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
I didn't know where to post this tidbit, but the new "Star Wars" movie will be playing at the Regina IMAX theatre. The Regina IMAX is only one of 15 IMAX theatres worldwide that will be playing this movie. Well, since Star Wars is playing there, I may actually pay $$$ to see it. Lol!
Just booked tickets for the whole family. Incorporating an IMAX viewing within a trip to Regina to visit family for the holidays.

This movie is going to make an incredible amount of money. I heard a report that Disney expects to earn $4 Billion (yes, billion) from merchandising. That's above & beyond the $1 Billion that the film will gross worldwide.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Just booked tickets for the whole family. Incorporating an IMAX viewing within a trip to Regina to visit family for the holidays.

This movie is going to make an incredible amount of money. I heard a report that Disney expects to earn $4 Billion (yes, billion) from merchandising. That's above & beyond the $1 Billion that the film will gross worldwide.
Holee! I reckon that the IMAX here will have a loooong run with Star Wars. ( . . amongst other theatres of course.)

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 12:35 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Holee! I reckon that the IMAX here will have a loooong run with Star Wars. ( . . amongst other theatres of course.)
I think I remember the IMAX saying that they've had people from as far away as the UK inquire about/purchase tickets.

Maybe they'll be in town at the time anyway or something (like Crisis), but was interesting nonetheless.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 6:24 AM

I think the Libs have a good chance here for the same reason the federal ones did. The younger generation is sick of the same old, they are way more aware of what goes on in the world today, and they don't give a rats ass about how the province has historically voted. This is the key — I don't think young people (30 and under) are afraid of voting for the underdog. Also, I know a lot of older people who are sick of NDP but just can't bring themselves to vote for Pallister.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I think the Libs have a good chance here for the same reason the federal ones did. The younger generation is sick of the same old, they are way more aware of what goes on in the world today, and they don't give a rats ass about how the province has historically voted. This is the key — I don't think young people (30 and under) are afraid of voting for the underdog. Also, I know a lot of older people who are sick of NDP but just can't bring themselves to vote for Pallister.
If you are referring to the Saskatchewan Liberal Party, they are finished forever. Lol!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 11:57 PM

Saskatchewan is the second-fastest-growing province in Canada --- behind Alberta. (Officially)

We'll see if that holds true next year.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 12:21 AM

Alberta sure doesn't feel like its growing too fast any more haha - its been very rough here for a lot of folks.

If its still the fastest growing province, then our country must be in some dire straits right now

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 6:36 AM
surely you agree with me

So how do you explain this?

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quoti.../t003a-eng.htm

There is more construction in Calgary than Halifax, Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Vancouver and Victoria combined....more than Toronto.

I was also reading that Calgary's Class A office rental rates are the second lowest of the major CMA's, next to Winnipeg, yet they are building the most class A in the country by a mile...what's the deal?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post

There is more construction in Calgary than Halifax, Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Vancouver and Victoria combined....more than Toronto.

I was also reading that Calgary's Class A office rental rates are the second lowest of the major CMA's, next to Winnipeg, yet they are building the most class A in the country by a mile...what's the deal?
It is overwhelmingly residential. There is likely very little office. There is few hundred million of commercial but I would bet that is mostly retail, hotel, etc.

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documen...-oct-stats.pdf

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 5:24 PM
surely you agree with me

^ even if it is all residential, its pretty tough to say there is any kind of hardship happening in Calgary if 25% of the building permits issued in the entire country a month ago was in that city....someone is buying all those high priced condos.

I'm looking at the CBRE 2016 market forecast and it says there is nearly 4 million square feet of class A office under construction, yet they have 18% vacancy and the second lowest rental rates of the major cities.

Didn't I just see a new proposal in Calgary for another million square foot office complex?

none of it jives...

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 7:22 PM

There is still a lot of commercial construction underway in Calgary. Remember that major projects have a long gestation period before the final product is delivered. Most of the stuff underway had began before oil prices plunged and the NDP came to power. The Alberta construction market will start to show significant decline in 2016 and is likely to be very poor in 2017 - 2018.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
There is still a lot of commercial construction underway in Calgary. Remember that major projects have a long gestation period before the final product is delivered. Most of the stuff underway had began before oil prices plunged and the NDP came to power. The Alberta construction market will start to show significant decline in 2016 and is likely to be very poor in 2017 - 2018.
But these are new permits. Although for big jobs they pull several permits as they go.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post

Economic inertia.

The developers of those massive buildings are scrambling right now. The Bow is only half occupied. Their lease rates have plummeted as well.

Moreover, the stats which state that Alberta and Saskatchewan are #1 & 2 are extremely dated. Wait until the next stats are revealed; 30-dollar oil will seriously corrupt AB and SK's rankings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan