HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 4:26 AM
ARTchitecture

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 4:35 AM

It's nuts to think that except for the Marie-Guyart building and bit of Delta visible behind the Château Frontenac, nothing's changed at all in that view for nearly a century...

(Without the Price building, it probably immediately jumps to the Château Frontenac as the most recent thing in it!)

Edit: there's also the brown building with protruding window casings that has a Subway at street level, on St-Jean IIRC (one block east of the 175). I can see it peeking behind the Price building.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 6:15 AM

I remember being in both Lethbridge and Medicine Hat and both struck me as rather nice little cities but I was very unimpressed with Red Deer. It didn't really seem to have much of a downtown and seemed more like a string of gas stations connected by ugly suburban sprawl than anything else. It's been a while so maybe it's changed, I hope so.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 6:23 AM
ARTchitecture

Red Deer has a really nice downtown in my opinion, even a bit nicer than Lethbridge's. I did a photo tour of the downtown last year. Perhaps TriWolf could furnish us with some of his beautiful pics?

Did you perhaps just go around the city on the bypass, rather than going down Gaetz Avenue? Because there is really no other way to miss the downtown, if you're looking for it. The part of Red Deer you seem to be describing is Gasoline Alley, which is most obviously not the downtown of a city of 100 000 people It is a refueling and fast food hub on the outskirts of Red Deer, on the QE2, directly in the middle of the corridor between Calgary and Edmonton It's a bypass around the city, because the city didn't want an extremely busy highway going right through their historic core.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 6:36 AM

Here's a couple of Lethbridge my father snapped from a helicopter a while back. I believe I posted them somewhere else before, but what the hell.

[IMG]Downtown Lethbridge aerial looking NE by Brick Junkie, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Downtown Lethbridge aerial in November by Brick Junkie, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 1:53 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Medicine hat felt very disjointed from my brief exposure, but it wasn't exactly a comprehensive tour.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 8:03 PM

While Red Deer is generally fairly flat around the core and Lethbridge is entirely flat except for the massive river valley that separates the city, Medicine Hat is pretty hilly throughout the entire city. The hills have a tendency to break up street grid patterns. Also, the Trans-Canada doesn't exactly go right downtown. This is a GOOD thing, but it kinda gives 2 different development nodes for the town (the commercial stretch along the highway and another downtown). I've never lived there, but that's my impression, anyways.

I grew up in Lethbridge. I've always suspected that because it's a bit larger of a centre and has both a college and a university that maybe it offered a bit more for young folks to do than Medicine Hat, but I could be wrong. I certainly think their downtown feels nicer than Lethbridge's though. There may be a couple fewer midrise / highrise buildings in the Hat, but their riverfront is much more accessible, and the downtown seems to have less surface parking lots than Lethbridge's.

Again, I've never lived in Medicine Hat (or Red Deer). Those are just my impressions, and I could be way off.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 8:24 PM
Majestic

Gasoline Alley is actually in Red Deer County, not inside the city itself.

Flickr

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 10:03 PM

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 10:42 PM

I recently posted a thread in the general My City Photos section with lots of photographs, but in case you missed it, here's a couple skyline-focussed shots from that thread:

[IMG]076 by Brick Junkie, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]056 by Brick Junkie, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]040 by Brick Junkie, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]035 by Brick Junkie, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]068 by Brick Junkie, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by BrickJunkie; Jun 16, 2014 at 11:02 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 12:33 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Novel aerial perspective of downtown Moncton. From the 3+ Corporation website (formerly Enterprise Greater Moncton).

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 12:38 AM
ARTchitecture

Nice! New Brunswick isn't seen anywhere near often enough on here!! Thanks

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 1:36 AM

I like that intersection with three churches out of four corners.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I like that intersection with three churches out of four corners.
Yes, those are at Queen and (believe it or not) Church street. All three of those buildings are beautiful, one of the best looking intersections in Moncton. The one most to the right in the photo has been partially converted to office with the adjacent 4-storey addition connected via a glass atrium.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 1:54 AM

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 12:57 PM

True.. we don't see Moncton or NB alot on here...
Question; what is or why is there such a big "field" or piece of undevelopped land close to downtown in Moncton, couldn't it be put to better use?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 1:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Question; what is or why is there such a big "field" or piece of undevelopped land close to downtown in Moncton, couldn't it be put to better use?
It's marshland along the Petitcodiac River. The river used to be a lot wider than it is now, but a causeway was built a few km upstream in the 1960's causing a lot of downstream siltation creating this new marsh.

The river takes a large meander just in front of downtown, and the marshland along the south shore of the river is unusually broad in this location.

It is probably too unstable to build on, and very occasionally will flood somewhat. I'm sure it will remain in it's natural state (aside from some waking trails).

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 6:50 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Novel aerial perspective of downtown Moncton. From the 3+ Corporation website (formerly Enterprise Greater Moncton).

Tried to find my house from when I lived there.

Then realized I have no idea what it looks like anymore.

It had two entrances, old home, converted into multiple suites. Large lot beside it that was paved decades ago, grass coming up through it.

It was pretty close to the railroad bridge by the Times & Transcript.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 7:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From your description, I think it would be out of the picture, and I'm pretty sure (again from your description) that it would be one of the houses that was torn down several years ago for a new apartment building. I presume it was on the same street as the old bus terminal.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 7:43 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Aww... there was an Italian family there too. I dated the son for a bit - his ex-wife, sister, parents, and grandmother in one apartment.

And another unit with a chubby lesbian girl who could sing just like Pink.

And the works of them smoked weed. Every day.

It was hilarious because I felt SO at home, even though it's the opposite of my family. Mom was horrified when she visited.

I ended up renting a room with a respectable family in Dieppe. Just so she could sleep at night.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada