HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 9:46 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

today

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 12:31 AM

Great pictures! This structure looks so massive!! I can't imagine what it would feel like when walking on the sidewalks and having those huge "wings" tower above me... It is going to look so amazing!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 7:32 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

EarthCam shot as of today (3/22)...

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 2:03 PM

Why is there green and purple stuff near the Temporary PATH station?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 4:40 PM

^^

Leak testing??

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeworm View Post
EarthCam shot as of today (3/22)...

I cannot find that Earthcam angle. I only find ones where you don't get a full view of the transit center. Can you include the URL link.

thank

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 2:10 PM

It looks like they only have 5 more legs to install! This stage should be finished in the next few weeks. Then we'll get to see the wings start to take shape!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 401PAS View Post
I cannot find that Earthcam angle. I only find ones where you don't get a full view of the transit center. Can you include the URL link.

thank
http://www.earthcam.net/archives/0b3...03/24/1216.jpg

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1young View Post
thanks so much for following up on my request. that's the archive picture of that angle. is there one for the active camera from that angle?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 401PAS View Post
thanks so much for following up on my request. that's the archive picture of that angle. is there one for the active camera from that angle?
http://kerrigan.synology.me/earthcam.php?view=path

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 8:36 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noll View Post
This is the live cam. I think it updates every 15 minutes or so. The picture I posted above was zoomed in and cropped for a better image.

9/11 Museum To Open May 21, After Week of Private Viewing
Monday, March 24, 2014, by Zoe Rosenberg

Image from the Associated Press.

Quote:
The National 9/11 Museum will finally open on May 21, AP reports. Preceding admission to the general public, victims' family members, rescue workers, and others directly affected by the attack will have a week of free, 24-hour-a-day access to the museum. The museum made waves two months ago when officials announced that adult admission would run at $24. The high price tag comes as part of the museum's $63 million operating budget that allows it to remain an entity that survives without government support, despite the museum board and city officials' attempts to secure federal funding. The museum will always be free for relatives of September 11 victims and rescue and recovery workers.

The museum is comprised of two core exhibitions at the foundation of the World Trade Center complex. One exhibition, In Memoriam, pays tribute to the 2,983 men, woman, and children who lost their lives on September 11 and in the February 26, 1993 bombing of the site, NYDN reports. The other exhibition will tell the story of what happened on 9/11 at the three attack sites and around the world. New York Magazine reports that about 8,000 unidentified remains will be moved from the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner to an off-limits area of the museum and kept behind a wall inscribed with a line from the Roman poet Virgil: "No day shall erase you from the memory of time."

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Last edited by Hypothalamus; Mar 24, 2014 at 9:09 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 1:36 PM

Quote:
The museum will always be free for relatives of September 11 victims and rescue and recovery workers.
What about 9/11 survivors? They're never mentioned or included in these lists. People like my grandmother who fled from her desk on the 92nd floor of the south tower and made it out just in time while her boss and fellow co-workers did not? Is someone like her expected to pay $24?

and how do they identify who is a relative of a 9/11 victim and who is not? How do they verify who was a recovery worker? Is there going to be some list? Will you have to describe in detail why you shouldn't have to pay?

Honestly, this whole thing sucks terribly. The right thing should have been to operate with no admission fee but rather a "suggested donation" as the Metropolitan Museum of Art has for so many years.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
What about 9/11 survivors? They're never mentioned or included in these lists. People like my grandmother who fled from her desk on the 92nd floor of the south tower and made it out just in time while her boss and fellow co-workers did not? Is someone like her expected to pay $24?

and how do they identify who is a relative of a 9/11 victim and who is not? How do they verify who was a recovery worker? Is there going to be some list? Will you have to describe in detail why you shouldn't have to pay?

Honestly, this whole thing sucks terribly. The right thing should have been to operate with no admission fee but rather a "suggested donation" as the Metropolitan Museum of Art has for so many years.

Oh relax. Did you not read the article? They need 68 million annually to keep the place running. Are you going to give it to them? And the Met has a billion dollar endowment and deep-pocketed members, and still they are desperately trying to get out of their lease with the city that requires them to make the admission fee optional.

Just be grateful that you have your grandmother. And buck up kiddo.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
Oh relax. Did you not read the article? They need 68 million annually to keep the place running. Are you going to give it to them? And the Met has a billion dollar endowment and deep-pocketed members, and still they are desperately trying to get out of their lease with the city that requires them to make the admission fee optional.

Just be grateful that you have your grandmother. And buck up kiddo.
24 bucks is total bs.

Last edited by Renton; Mar 26, 2014 at 12:14 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 8:56 AM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post
I think U need to relax. 24 bucks is total bs. If your stupid enough to believe that it cost 68 million to keep this future museum running per year, your pretty delusional.
I don't think $24 is a ridiculous amount. I do however wonder where the 68 million is from. I mean seriously how could staff cost more than $5 million/year, and what else is there? They must be padding the ticket with the cost of the museum's failures in the past few years, there is no other explanation.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post
24 bucks is total bs.

I don't think it is. The Met, MoMA, Guggenheim, Frick: are all charging over twenty dollars. The average Broadway ticket is probably 70 bucks nowadays. Heck, you can't go to a movie in NY for under $15. And twenty four dollars will do nothing to deter the crush of people who will line up outside, mark my words. Heck, I wish they made it $100 and made it by-appointment-only so it wouldn't overrun with people while you try to observe and reflect.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 1:37 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 2:04 PM

Hub Irregularity

From the above image posted by NYguy, the sixth transition piece on the right side sticks out more than the rest. What's with this?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
I don't think it is. The Met, MoMA, Guggenheim, Frick: are all charging over twenty dollars. The average Broadway ticket is probably 70 bucks nowadays. Heck, you can't go to a movie in NY for under $15. And twenty four dollars will do nothing to deter the crush of people who will line up outside, mark my words. Heck, I wish they made it $100 and made it by-appointment-only so it wouldn't overrun with people while you try to observe and reflect.
This. I've been down there and even pre-completion the place is astounding. If the cost reduces the flow of people it would be a benefit. Would free be nice? Sure, but who's going to pay to keep this place in good order? I'd rather it was visitors than taxes.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 4:45 PM

They've installed the first wing tip on the opposite end of the hub today.

EarthCam

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture