HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Just noticed that the Feep has anointed Bartley Kives the new restaurant critic. Not sure if this matters to anyone anymore, but the old critic Marion Warhaft certainly had a lot of haters. Also, it's kind of weird that they are publishing the identity of the reviewer because now restaurants will know when they are being reviewed (or assume they are being reviewed if they see Kives). Warhaft never published a photo of herself.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/art...368340361.html
Well the one thing Kives does is criticize. Most restaurants will be lucky to get 2 stars out of 5. Mr Negative.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I first remember Kives as being the music reviewer at the WFP. Unless I'm totally mis-remembering things.
Some might remember this gem:

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 8:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Just noticed that the Feep has anointed Bartley Kives the new restaurant critic. Not sure if this matters to anyone anymore, but the old critic Marion Warhaft certainly had a lot of haters. Also, it's kind of weird that they are publishing the identity of the reviewer because now restaurants will know when they are being reviewed (or assume they are being reviewed if they see Kives). Warhaft never published a photo of herself.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/art...368340361.html
Who said Warhaft was a her?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Who said Warhaft was a her?
These people in this documentary on Winnipeg Food critics: http://www.nsi-canada.ca/2012/03/mar...estaurant-spy/

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Some might remember this gem:
Nice find! That is a blast from the past. Makes me sad to see most of those places gone today. What year is this?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 7:13 PM

I guess I just haven't been paying attention lately, but I walked through the Lombard Concourse and noticed that there is a new Starbucks up and running beneath the Fairmont.

That's now Starbucks locations on three out of the four corners of Portage and Main, although only one is visible from the sidewalk...

I recall reading that there is one coming in the WPS HQ on Graham, which I'm pretty sure would be about all the Starbucks locations that downtown could handle, save perhaps for one more in the Exchange District area.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I guess I just haven't been paying attention lately, but I walked through the Lombard Concourse and noticed that there is a new Starbucks up and running beneath the Fairmont.

That's now Starbucks locations on three out of the four corners of Portage and Main, although only one is visible from the sidewalk...

I recall reading that there is one coming in the WPS HQ on Graham, which I'm pretty sure would be about all the Starbucks locations that downtown could handle, save perhaps for one more in the Exchange District area.
Portage Place Starbucks too

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
Portage Place Starbucks too
That one has been there for years...

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That one has been there for years...
And it's probably just about the best cost:profit ratio any business can have haha. It's always got a big line and yet it's just a little kiosk in PORTAGE PLACE. PP probably pays them to be there. Lol.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 10:48 PM

Heard a new freshii location is going to go somewhere in the garden city shopping area.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 12:27 AM

You folks would piss yourselves in Toronto trying to avoid gross basement washrooms.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 7:36 PM

Canadian Brewhouse is open. I went there last night. Very much a sports bar style place with the focus being a large Cheers-style island Bar in the middle of the place and seating around the perimeter.

It was packed. A very buzzy loud atmosphere. I imagine it would be a bit quieter for lunch. Felt a bit claustrophobic with it being jammed but I liked it. Lots of TV's. Bunch of the red goal lights. Tons of staff

Food was good beloved the burger. It was $22 so it better be good. Only had bottled beer but they had some special where you take the tankard home as many were doing.

Good place for a bunch of buddies. Id go back.

They are doing shuttles to jets games for free. There and back.

And during nfl season they have speakers you can plcr at your table to listen to your choice of game as you watch on the TV's. I imagine the patio will be a lot of fun as it over looks their little man made lake.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 3:17 PM
Aspiring.

Sous Sol

Went on Saturday right at opening (5:00 PM).

We were the only table for most of our time there, but it was early for most people on a Saturday.

The food was spectacular. Not in a fireworks and flamboyant way but in a way that shows a confident kitchen.
I had duck breast and potatoes dauphinoises, DH had sea bass and Parisian dumplings. Dessert was Frangelico crème brulée and a clafouti that was dotted with red wine-infused cherries.
It was honestly one of the best meals I've ever had in this city. Flavours were absolutely wonderful.

The ambiance was also just great. The dining room is chiefly lit by candlelit and décor was reminiscent of a French countryside hunting lodge.

We will definitely be back.

BTW there was a photog from the Firewalled Press there taking pics of the cocktails. Mr Kives had recently been in the dining room so we can likely expect a review soon.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 3:26 PM

^ Thanks for the review. Sounds like that spot has a quality restaurant for the first time since Mise moved out.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 11:41 PM

^^ Reg: Sous Sol

Great review, you should do it on a regualar basis and let us know. I'm tempted to go on your review alone..

4 stars?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
^^ Reg: Sous Sol

Great review, you should do it on a regualar basis and let us know. I'm tempted to go on your review alone..

4 stars?
No, in the new world, good = 2 stars.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 9:32 AM

Times certainly have changed..

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Times certainly have changed..
Well, our reviewer has anyway..

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 6:34 PM

Does anyone have an update on Brown's Social House in Centrepoint? I recall some on here saying it would open by May, but there has been no activity in there for months. There is still a Brown's sign ... but I wonder if maybe they've also backed out?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 8:48 PM

Ok I don' understand why people keep asking this. There's work going on in there every single day. No way it will be May, but it's rolling along. They're just backfilling the concrete now after roughing in the electrical and plumbing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan