HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am not a climate change denialist.
Well then don’t even ask a god damn question then, not matter if it’s simply to educate oneself, it makes you look like a deniar and you will be ridiculed and shamed.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
Well then don’t even ask a god damn question then, not matter if it’s simply to educate oneself, it makes you look like a deniar and you will be ridiculed and shamed.
"Just asking questions."

The rallying cry of science deniers everywhere from antivaxers to climate denialists.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
"Just asking questions."

The rallying cry of science deniers everywhere from antivaxers to climate denialists.

Questions from others… the rallying cry for greenies to ridicule, and undermine, and shame those that don’t follow their exact agenda or simply don’t understand the subject entirely. Like, what the fuck is an atmospheric river!?! And how is it different than any from the past?

Hahahahaha omfg you’re mindset is awesome! Don’t ask fucking questions, soldier, LISTEN to what I say!!!

And your anti-vaxxer analogy is fucking elementary that makes one look like a fool… cause guess what, I gotta admit, I went to health care professionals, including my family doctor, to ASK FUCKING QUESTIONS, to make a better, more informed decision…. Or should I just read the experts on Financial Times and dump my money where they see some “hot” coming up… “stop asking questions”, OMFG

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 3:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
"Just asking questions."

Haha. I am a climate change worrier and pro-vax and pro-vaccine passport even.

Climate change is a serious problem, but immediately shutting people down who ask annoying or uncomfortable questions is also a worrisome trend in society.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 4:11 PM

Quote:

Climate change is a serious problem, but immediately shutting people down who ask annoying or uncomfortable questions is also a worrisome trend in society.
It’s not even just “shutting people down” it’s the tag of “climate change deniar” that is what’s dangerous and spurs these ridiculous arguments.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 4:36 PM

Quote:

There is a difference between genuine questions asked in good faith and leading questions asked in bad faith.

In this particular case, it wouldn't have taken much googling for you to figure out why people think this particular flood is related to climate change. You chose to raise doubt in the forum instead. If it's not a matter of accepting climate science, were you just trolling to stir shit up?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 4:43 PM

Quote:
There is a difference between genuine questions asked in good faith and leading questions asked in bad faith.

In this particular case, it wouldn't have taken much googling for you to figure out why people think this particular flood is related to climate change. You chose to raise doubt in the forum instead. If it's not a matter of accepting climate science, were you just trolling to stir shit up?
Disagree.. it was a good faith question, is it entirely climate change fault for the destruction? Or is it a combination of climate change, logging, mismanagement of forestry, continuing to build infrastructure on flood plains… or does that all just put into the climate change category…

Here’s another legitimate question… if Canada had no population at all, and therefore did not contribute to man made global warming in any way whatsoever, would these atmospheric rivers happen in the same places, at the same times, with the same intensity, due to the remaining globes contribution to man made global warming?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Here’s another legitimate question… if Canada had no population at all, and therefore did not contribute to man made global warming in any way whatsoever, would these atmospheric rivers happen in the same places, at the same times, with the same intensity, due to the remaining globes contribution to man made global warming?
They obviously would. These atmospheric rivers start out in the middle of the Pacific. They just unload when they hit the continent.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 4:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Actually, logging contributes to climate change, right?

All these things we do that are damaging to the environment contribute to problems like we see in BC.

I guess I am in some ways a think globally, act locally type of person.

I don't much see the point of blaming Jason Kenney, Scott Moe, Stephen Harper or even Donald Trump for the flooding in BC...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 4:48 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Disagree.. it was a good faith question, is it entirely climate change fault for the destruction? Or is it a combination of climate change, logging, mismanagement of forestry, continuing to build infrastructure on flood plains… or does that all just put into the climate change category…
And what caused the record heat dome that led to record wildfires? Then in a vicious loop there's a flood and the ground can't absorb any of the water because the trees are dead. Sure the Sumas stuff was built in a drained lakebed but that is hardly the only affected area. These extreme weather events and their increasing frequency are exactly what has been warned about by scientists for decades.

Quote:
Another version of the blame game? Passing the buck to others like China?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 4:49 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Interesting. What is their corn in Europe like?
The corn in Europe is the same as what we use for animal feed and to produce ethanol. It has a much higher energy content than sweet corn, but it's tough and tastes terrible. Sweet corn is a result of genetic mutations, and this mutation only occurred in the Americas, and not in Europe.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 4:49 PM
Fake News

Quote:

All these things we do that are damaging to the environment contribute to problems like we see in BC.

I guess I am in some ways a think globally, act locally type of person.

I don't much see the point of blaming Jason Kenney, Scott Moe, Stephen Harper or even Donald Trump for the flooding in BC...
Is anyone doing that?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 4:57 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Contrarianism primarily for the sake of being a contrarian is a vexing trait of some on this forum.

Almost as annoying as the logical algebraic equations trotted out to explain things that are not easily reducible to cold hard facts without the slightest shade of nuance.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Not quite. Very much depends on the type of logging. If cutting down plants automatically led to climate change, humanity would have been wiped out a while ago.

Quote:
Nobody is blaming them for the flooding in BC. This is some ridiculous strawman. People do criticize them for denialism, lack of action/policy, etc.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
And what caused the record heat dome that led to record wildfires? Then in a vicious loop there's a flood and the ground can't absorb any of the water because the trees are dead. Sure the Sumas stuff was built in a drained lakebed but that is hardly the only affected area. These extreme weather events and their increasing frequency are exactly what has been warned about by scientists for decades.
Was it the record heat dome and climate change that lead to the cause of the wild fires, or were they human caused? I read a Gov of Bc reported stated that >80% are human caused... But I would certainly attribute the intensity and longevity to climate change, certainly.

Quote:
Another version of the blame game? Passing the buck to others like China?
Another question to answer a question, to not have to answer the question?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Contrarianism primarily for the sake of being a contrarian is a vexing trait of some on this forum.

Almost as annoying as the logical algebraic equations trotted out to explain things that are not easily reducible to cold hard facts without the slightest shade of nuance.
A poster asked a, arguably, legitimate question, which lead to them being tagged as a denier… you for one, doc, should be in favour of such questions being asked for, not only to allow the certain individual the opportunity to learn, but also generate better discussion surround the cause and effect of the issues we are seeing in BC. Rather, they are a damned denier. End of story.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 5:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
A poster asked a, arguably, legitimate question, which lead to them being tagged as a denier… you for one, doc, should be in favour of such questions being asked for, not only to allow the certain individual the opportunity to learn, but also generate better discussion surround the cause and effect of the issues we are seeing in BC. Rather, they are a damned denier. End of story.
I wasn't talking to you, but anyways, your crabby comment is par for the course.

What is your occupation, since you always bring up mine? Are you a full time advocate for the Albertan oil industry? Quite frankly, the disingenuous tactics used by Big Oil to promote their industry and deny how terrible their products/activities are for the environment, are nothing less egregiously foul than those used by Big Tobacco back in the day.*

You never seem to comment on anything other than the oil industry. And you get very hot under the collar when someone criticizes said industry.

*https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-53640382

Speaking of Doctors, I'm glad I don't sell cigarettes. A decade ago, I did get asked to provide background research to support puff pieces by Altria, but I turned them down, despite the $$ being waved in front of me.

history.com

bbc

just look for the BS contrarian facts being peddled in the above advertisements. Enough to make a Madison Avenue man blush.

Last edited by MolsonExport; Dec 3, 2021 at 5:22 PM. Reason: shits and giggles

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 5:15 PM

Quote:
I wasn't talking to you, but anyways, your crabby comment is par for the course.
Sorry

Quote:

What is your occupation, since you always bring up mine? Full time advocate for the Albertan oil industry?
One would think hey? Nope, not oil industry, the sustainable energy industry.

Quote:
You never seem to comment on anything other than the oil industry. And you get very hot under the collar when someone criticizes said industry.
What are you talking about?? This discussion on this topic, which on this thread,
Is not even about the oil industry! And I know you are able to utilize the search function on this forum, cause you’ve done it before to try to accuse me of something, which you failed, btw… so do yourself a favour, instead of asking such ludicrous questions, go use the search tool function to answer your own damn question…. Here’s a snippet. Skyscraper thread, stadiums thread, fed gov thread, nhl thread, cfl thread, prob economy thread, climate change thread, and there’s probably more.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 5:20 PM

Quote:

*https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-53640382

I'm glad I don't sell cigarettes.
Lol, why are you being so contrarian!?! Eat your own words… btw, while the industry denying climate change is inexcusable, thankfully those who do smoke cigarettes have the oil commodity which has lead to such massive human innovations, by even as simple as generating billions of dollars of revenue, to saving the lives of those who developed health issues from the use of tobacco…. Such a simple minded argument that whole tobacco comparison is… seriously you should do an elementary comparison, what benefits to humanity has the tobacco industry produced, and what benefits has the oil industry produced

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 5:23 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Was it the record heat dome and climate change that lead to the cause of the wild fires, or were they human caused? I read a Gov of Bc reported stated that >80% are human caused... But I would certainly attribute the intensity and longevity to climate change, certainly.
Reckless idiots are just a part of society. Extreme drought and fire hazard from Climate Change are becoming the norm now. Which means that seasonal forest fires aren't going anywhere.

Quote:
Another question to answer a question, to not have to answer the question?
I don't understand the point of your question? BC just broke another record for hottest day in December at 22 degrees (also a Canadian record). Having an extreme heatwave and fires in the spring and summer and 6 months later extreme flooding is not natural. This is the third atmospheric river event in less than a month.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada