HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 8:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdrummer82 View Post
But you forget that the Empire State Building was a much less complicated design, not nearly as many safety issues were brought up, they didn't have to clean up the biggest tragedy to happen to this country in history and also it was not nearly as tall as 1 WTC. Let us not forget that the original two North and South towers also took 10 years
Wow.. what a long slog. You'd think that they would be able to do it in half the time in this day and age.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 9:01 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Again, you people fail to understand that this is no ordinary building. After everything you've seen, and should know by now has gone into building this tower, which is really like 2 in one. But it's worth repeating I guess, that this is no ordinary office building.

Gammablog

John Fraissinet

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
First appearance on political propaganda?

No mention of the massive toll increase to pay for all that lol.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 11:44 PM

I'm sorry. I hate to be yet another complainer, but windows are taking so extreeeeeeemly loooooooong to install. They haven't even lifted up the netting in forever. With about up to only (5 floors) of windows installed in the past 3 months, I say that the cladding won't be complete till next summer or late Spring. What about the base cladding.......... LOL Next Fall?

I remember a year ago when they said that "spire" construction would begin in March....then April, June, July, August, then October.....now finally here it is.....December, and one little section is sorta installed.

Lets not even talk about the museum.

And now, Winter is setting in. SURE to produce more delays!

The World Trade Center is one hell of a project, yes. But it also appears to be poorly managed. But that is just my opinion.

Regardless, it will be one hell of an exciting day when 1WTC is all finished! .......in a few years lol. (frustrated, sorry lol)

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 11:52 PM

so is the Shake Shack the one going in the tower?
also is that the stairs they installed for?
does someone have floor plans for that floor.......

how many pieces of the spire have been loaded up top?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 1:24 AM
New Yorker for life

Finalists for the deck were announced in September...

http://gothamist.com/2012/09/27/dann...inalist_fo.php

Quote:
the three-level observatory won't have a Windows on the World-style restaurant, but it will have food options available, as well as an event space for private parties. So, who are the finalists?

■Legends Hospitality Management which is a company owned by the New York Yankees, the Dallas Cowboys and David W. Checketts that "runs food services and merchandise sales at a number of stadiums and arenas."

■GSM Projects This Canadian company is working with Danny Meyer who owns Union Square Hospitality Group and its beloved restaurants like Blue Smoke, Union Square Cafe and Shake Shack.

■Montparnasse 56 USA "an affiliate of the French firm that runs an observatory and restaurant at the Montparnasse Tower in Paris." The company recently bought the observatory on the 94th floor of the John Hancock Center in Chicago. For food they've "enlisted the Gerber Group, which operates the Whiskey Blue, Lilium and Living Room bars in New York, and Marc Murphy, the chef who owns the Landmarc restaurants in New York."

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Bottom two sound nice

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 4:05 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:

Cool ! A french firm at top of ONEWTC ! I know the restaurant At Montparnasse Tower, it's a charming place.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 8:20 AM
Sukaitsuri

Quote:

How funny, man! I live near the Montparnasse tower in Paris, and I've been once in the 'bar-restaurant' at the top.
Sure that if they do the same for 1WTC, it will be great.

Montparnasse Tower looks more impressive than 1WTC although it's only 200 meters tall; but it's surrounded only by buildings less tall than 30 meters. So, there's kind of "domination".
1WTC is surrounded by other supertall towers, then it looks less dominant.

Anyway, I hope they will had something like "WoTW" in 1WTC.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 3:37 PM

Maybe once the tower becomes operational in a few years, they'll consider something like Windows on the World. WoTW in the North Tower didn't begin operations until a few years after its opening if I'm correct.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 4:28 PM

Quote:
^ Again, you people fail to understand that this is no ordinary building.
And yet when all is done and people go to work in this building it will be just an ordinary office building.

All of the "special" things that they have done constructing it were unnecessary and wasteful.

The only thing extraordinary about it is its proximity to a special place.

This is and office building. Nothing more.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 5:13 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherRad View Post
I'm sorry. I hate to be yet another complainer, but windows are taking so extreeeeeeemly loooooooong to install. They haven't even lifted up the netting in forever. With about up to only (5 floors) of windows installed in the past 3 months, I say that the cladding won't be complete till next summer or late Spring. What about the base cladding.......... LOL Next Fall?

I remember a year ago when they said that "spire" construction would begin in March....then April, June, July, August, then October.....now finally here it is.....December, and one little section is sorta installed.

Lets not even talk about the museum.

And now, Winter is setting in. SURE to produce more delays!

The World Trade Center is one hell of a project, yes. But it also appears to be poorly managed. But that is just my opinion.

Regardless, it will be one hell of an exciting day when 1WTC is all finished! .......in a few years lol. (frustrated, sorry lol)

The tower doesn't open until mid-2014....why are you so concerned about the rate of glass climb in late-2012? Put your emotions and expectations in context to those of a project that costs billions and consumes thousands of leading professional's full attentions for more than a decade. Anyway, the glass on this building was always destined to be slow going.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 5:30 PM

I think they are squaring off the base at this time. Can anyone confirm this?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 6:33 PM

I think I'm done complaining about the details on this project
Spire, Antenna, what ever, Fancy restaurant or Mc Donalds at the top.
Anything has to be better than perpetual construction at this site,
the 9/11 familys need a peacefull memorial finished in their lifetimes.
I remember when the first glass went in and everyone went ape s@#!
bitching the glass was wavy, the wrong color, not going in fast enough,

NY Guy I dont know how you manage to moderate all these forums...all I can say is thanks,
most of us are guilty of typing and hitting the post button without thinking first.
Thanks for putting up with us all and keeping things on track, especially in a forum with so much
emmotion, frustration, and different points of view on the same subject.

Thanks Carlos for the constant updates and everyone else hunting & posting photos,
it takes more time than you realise to do this everyday-
THANKS EVERYONE!

Everyone Have a Happy Holiday, Merry Christmas, Hanukkah, Quanza, Festivus or celebrate nothing at all,
Lets Just be good to each other all year not just at the "holidays", The only good thing post 9/11 brought
was the sense of community and helping each other out right after it happened.....we have lost that again
lets not wait for another tragedy to feel that way for our fellow neighbors again.

I also want to keep Zen Steel Dudes family in our thoughts this time of year, his contributions and insight
on here are still missed, I never met him and dont know much about him but I will always think of him
and his love of skyscrapers when I see this building.

Here is to having some hope this entire project turns out better than we expect it to, even with the design changes.

-Jason

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 7:20 PM

I mean, they appear to be working on it.. certainly not "square" yet...

http://archives.earthcam.com/archive...gzmpr288_7.jpg

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 7:20 PM
Is That LEGO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack776 View Post
I also want to keep Zen Steel Dudes family in our thoughts this time of year, his contributions and insight
on here are still missed
No doubt. It's still hard to believe he is gone.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
I mean, they appear to be working on it.. certainly not "square" yet...

http://archives.earthcam.com/archive...gzmpr288_7.jpg
Part of the base is squared off.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 8:19 PM
Sukaitsuri

Once 1WTC is finished, do you think office floors will look like the original "open-space" office floors in the Twin Towers ?

Notice that the floors were not tall at all.. People taller than two meters must have had difficulties to work here.

Floors are taller in 1WTC because there are 75 "real" floors, compared to 110 in the former towers.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorque View Post
Once 1WTC is finished, do you think office floors will look like the original "open-space" office floors in the Twin Towers ?

Notice that the floors were not tall at all.. People taller than two meters must have had difficulties to work here.

Floors are taller in 1WTC because there are 75 "real" floors, compared to 110 in the former towers.
The floors were short, yes, but that was normal for the time. 10 feet and a few inches if I remember correctly, so unless you were a giant you would have had little trouble. Maybe some claustrophobia, yeah. 2 meters is only approx 6.5 feet.

The new tower has 13 foot+ ceilings depending on the floor. That is the normal for today's towers, as you said.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
The floors were short, yes, but that was normal for the time. 10 feet and a few inches if I remember correctly, so unless you were a giant you would have had little trouble. Maybe some claustrophobia, yeah. 2 meters is only approx 6.5 feet.

The new tower has 13 foot+ ceilings depending on the floor. That is the normal for today's towers, as you said.
I'f I'm not mistaken, the new One World Trade center is smaller.

Floor span were 60 feet between the outer wall and core in the twins and 40 feet for the new tower

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive