HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanrule View Post
this sentence does not actually mean anything.

you go to art school?
It's perfectly comprehensible. He's saying the bridge looks like a different bridge from different vantage points, a quality that complements the playful design of the rest of the trail even though it probably wasn't intended. Not sure why that's hard to understand.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 7:19 PM
BANNED

it doesnt look like a different bridge though. it just looks confused.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
That bridge is way too tall it looks ridiculous. The renderings made it look far shorter and much sleeker. This just looks ridiculously proportioned!
I assume the height has everything to do with it's structural nature.

Nice commentary here as usual. Part of why I love this forum and wish I stumbled upon it way earlier (even though I have lurked for many years).

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 7:37 PM

I didn't take this one, but wanted to post it to further PKDickman's point...

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
I have come to actually admire the design of the bridge.
The bracing is actually perfectly coherent. If you were to view it from an aerial shot it would look like this:

But there is no place on the ground to actually perceive it that way. From every angle it looks like a completely different bridge.
It may be an artifact of utilitarian design, but its illusory nature ties in with whimsical aspects of the trail.
The bracing is not perfectly coherent and they don't look like the image you posted. Go look at the bridge the beams are slightly jogged so they don't line up. btw EVERYTHING looks different from a different angle. The wonder in this case is that from every angle this bridge with it's sloppy bracing that ignores the curve of the larger form still looks like shit.

Here's a better pic of the sloppy bracing

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 8:07 PM
The City

What's up with Crains' website today?

Anybody know what's up with Crains today? Their website has been out of commission all day, kind of unusual for a Monday.

In addition, now when I try to load their website I'm getting this:

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 8:23 PM
BANNED

dns has been wonky across the net today.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Here's a better pic of the sloppy bracing
Wow that looks like shit. What a shame.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 2:43 PM

Totally wild and non-sensical rumor of the day:

Supposedly Google (or someone else huge), just bought the Finkl Steel site. There is another 90,000 SF loft building set to close any day now to an unknown buyer that is directly adjacent to the site. If it's not Google (which seems absurd to me given their Fulton Market investment) anyone have any guesses as to what is actually going on with that site?

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
The bracing is not perfectly coherent and they don't look like the image you posted. Go look at the bridge the beams are slightly jogged so they don't line up. btw EVERYTHING looks different from a different angle. The wonder in this case is that from every angle this bridge with it's sloppy bracing that ignores the curve of the larger form still looks like shit.
That's the joy of modern FEA analysis. In the old days when a structural engineer had to do calculations by hand he'd make everything line up and be symmetrical to make the math easier. (and add a bit of redundancy) Aesthetics flowed naturally from that and the design looked good.
But the software doesn't care about that. So an engineer can scribble an asymmetrical mess, run the numbers and presto: form follows "good enough".

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 4:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
That's the joy of modern FEA analysis. In the old days when a structural engineer had to do calculations by hand he'd make everything line up and be symmetrical to make the math easier. (and add a bit of redundancy) Aesthetics flowed naturally from that and the design looked good.
But the software doesn't care about that. So an engineer can scribble an asymmetrical mess, run the numbers and presto: form follows "good enough".
unless they farmed it out to a h1-b cheapest bidder in india or something, i cant see an engineer wanting it to be like that. ocd is part of the profession.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 4:22 PM

Quote:
unless they farmed it out to a h1-b cheapest bidder in india or something, i cant see an engineer wanting it to be like that. ocd is part of the profession.
So are you just completely ignoring the sketch or are you disagreeing with it?

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post

Supposedly Google (or someone else huge), just bought the Finkl Steel site. There is another 90,000 SF loft building set to close any day now to an unknown buyer that is directly adjacent to the site. If it's not Google (which seems absurd to me given their Fulton Market investment) anyone have any guesses as to what is actually going on with that site?
Interesting, would love to know more!

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 4:55 PM

Quote:
You are completely ignorant of how h1-b works. First of all, a h1-b worker would be working here, not in India. Second, look up the minimum required h1-b wage for structural engineers in Chicago. The minimum h1-b wage is comparable or HIGHER than the industry rate for structural engineers in Chicago.

http://www.flcdatacenter.com/OesQuic...ar=15&source=1

(Yes, I'm on h1-b. No, I'm not Indian, but stupid comments from ignorant people annoy me).

Also, wouldn't this be G.C./steel fabricator's fault? The braces look like they don't align. Also, wouldn't the architect (if there's one) have the final say in the aesthetic of the bridge?

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 5:32 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post

It actually makes sense for a large corporate campus type development. It's close to the expressway (although the Cortland bridge is very narrow) and right near the Clybourn Metra stop, so it's pretty good for suburban commuters. Plus, office use sidesteps the PMD issue. If they ever repeal the PMD, office use is also compatible with residential so they could infill to make a mixed-use area. This would be a great spot for one of the suburban giants like Walgreens or Allstate to go urban, although it would still unfortunately end up as a suburban-esque area akin to Goose Island or the Philadelphia Navy Yard.

The only downside is terrible, terrible CTA access. There's no Clybourn bus and the Armitage bus doesn't connect to the Red Line. It's about the same as Green Exchange in that regard.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 5:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu9 View Post
So are you just completely ignoring the sketch or are you disagreeing with it?
what was built is not what the sketch shows.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 5:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey2428 View Post
You are completely ignorant of how h1-b works. First of all, a h1-b worker would be working here, not in India. Second, look up the minimum required h1-b wage for structural engineers in Chicago. The minimum h1-b wage is comparable or HIGHER than the industry rate for structural engineers in Chicago.

http://www.flcdatacenter.com/OesQuic...ar=15&source=1

(Yes, I'm on h1-b. No, I'm not Indian, but stupid comments from ignorant people annoy me).

Also, wouldn't this be G.C./steel fabricator's fault? The braces look like they don't align. Also, wouldn't the architect (if there's one) have the final say in the aesthetic of the bridge?
i was being a dick, no one is using h1-bs for actual engineering.

also, minimum rates mean precisely dick. everyone violates them. everyone hires h1-bs before searching in the us.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 5:45 PM

A community meeting is scheduled for the Mega Mall redevelopment (2500 N Milwaukee) in Logan Square this Thursday, May 7 at 6:30PM in the Mega Mall. Per this flier posted on EveryBlock, it looks like (not surprisingly) the NIMBYs are getting whipped up into a frenzy about size/height/architecture/lack of their ideal commercial tenants being rumored to occupy the new space...

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 5:52 PM

Quote:
i was being a dick, no one is using h1-bs for actual engineering.

also, minimum rates mean precisely dick. everyone violates them. everyone hires h1-bs before searching in the us.
Based on what? Your experience? I'm on h1b, and any respectable company that would win this kind of project wouldn't risk violating labor laws. You're also forgetting that a lot of firms in Chicago do international work. Sounds like you're awfully bitter about h1b engineers.

Anyway, I'm done trying to educate an internet troll. Moving on.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 5:53 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post
A community meeting is scheduled for the Mega Mall redevelopment (2500 N Milwaukee) in Logan Square this Thursday, May 7 at 6:30PM in the Mega Mall. Per this flier posted on EveryBlock, it looks like (not surprisingly) the NIMBYs are getting whipped up into a frenzy about size/height/architecture/lack of their ideal commercial tenants being rumored to occupy the new space...
NIMBY douche bags, although reading their letter they aren't as annoying as some of the other "don't let successful people come here and drink cocktails" campaigns out there. They actually want better design and a good streetwall, which is what we all want. But stop bitching about density and if you want a grocery store, then make your neighborhood worthy of one.

Too many idiots in this world. Hence we have a representative democracy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development