HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 3:19 AM
surely you agree with me

I’ve been watching that one go up. It’s hilarious because it’s actually a regular gable roof with a false front like an old old west saloon.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I’ve been watching that one go up. It’s hilarious because it’s actually a regular gable roof with a false front like an old old west saloon.
I'm usually pretty pro-infill and pro-development but jeez: They took a duplex-split house, and replaced it with an uglier and more expensive duplex house.

Net effect: Zero change to density, less affordable, and substantially uglier.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 3:08 PM

Not to mention literal tonnes of perfectly good materials (including irreplaceable old growth wood) into the landfill, with the loss of all the energy embodied in the historic house. And then all the energy needed to extract, transport, process and assemble a new building that will not last as long as the old one would have with proper care. Without increased density, there is no justification for this.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
whew, the expectation vs. reality on that build

They even got rid of the balconies... wow. Anyone know if what was actually built was what got approved? And the render was just an early sike out. If not, send in the city!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulPessimist View Post
Not to mention literal tonnes of perfectly good materials (including irreplaceable old growth wood) into the landfill, with the loss of all the energy embodied in the historic house. And then all the energy needed to extract, transport, process and assemble a new building that will not last as long as the old one would have with proper care. Without increased density, there is no justification for this.
Does the CoW have any regulations around this kind of stuff? I know in Vancouver when you see a development application sign there's usually mention of environmental effect on demo/build.

Wait... dumb question. We're in the middle of a 5 year study on if better permit signage understandable to the average citizen is good or bad.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 7:59 PM

Little planned infill on Jessie near Nassau:

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbnevs View Post
Little planned infill on Jessie near Nassau:

It's blocking my sun! My dog poops on that lot! I plan to put a garden there one day! It's not suitable for the neighbourhood! Won't someone please think about the children?

Did I miss anything?

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 11:00 PM
surely you agree with me

those are full-on child killers there....

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 5:24 AM
surely you agree with me

Leopold’s opening in the old Cornerstone spot. Good news.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 4:51 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Leopold’s opening in the old Cornerstone spot. Good news.
How many Leopold's can coexist on the same street or neighbourhood?

I'm glad something is going there but that building is kind of a vibe killer for the corner, wish something a little more substantial was there.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 5:00 PM

I'm really happy to see something filling that prominent corner. Having it sit empty was depressing. That being said, I have mixed feelings about Leopolds.

Cornerstone always seemed like the perfect balance. A nice setting to hangout with friends but also a great place to watch a Jets game. It was a bit more upscale than Leopolds, but not in a way that you felt uncomfortable going in jeans and sweater. It had a great vibe.

But I'll support Leopolds, given the location its so often the perfect meeting spot.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 6:23 PM

Cornerstone had great food and was always busy. Anyone know why they didn’t make it? Pandemic losses or ownership just decided not to bother trying? Will miss their menu.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
How many Leopold's can coexist on the same street or neighbourhood?

I'm glad something is going there but that building is kind of a vibe killer for the corner, wish something a little more substantial was there.
That comment applies to pretty well every building along Osborne.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 11:04 PM
surely you agree with me

The other two urban Leopolds are packed every night of the week. I think it’s a perfect addition to the village. It’s a chain but it does a pretty good job of feeling like a local pub.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 10:39 PM

Walked by the old Dutch Maid/Antique Market building on Osborne... boy is that redevelopment due--the building looks ready to fall down!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 5:21 PM

The big planned mixed-use for the old Gags block is up for imminent approval

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/proposed...hood-1.5756924

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 5:33 PM

Good to see. Almost anything on that stretch of Osborne can only be an improvement.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 2:22 PM

Heritage bldg up for attempted demolition, 35 Roslyn Rd

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...576169512.html

Use this site if you have trouble with their paywall:

https://12ft.io/

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 2:37 PM

Here’s the city of Winnipeg agenda for this building: https://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/mob...ctionId=632987

Personally, I have mixed feelings on this. As someone who was fortunate enough to live on Roslyn the buildings like this are what define the character of that street. On the other hand that building is not in great shape and neighbourhoods must remain dynamic. Frankly Roslyn does need to modernize a little bit and with that highrise development replacing Saigon it looks like there is some demand for new development.

That being said I hope they can keep most of those mature trees intact. Also, the new development must have high quality materials. I haven’t seen too many new modern brick or stone buildings in the city but on Roslyn this should be the bare minimum because that’s the kind of architecture and care I expect to see on a road like this.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 2:58 PM

I love those old brick buildings. I wish it made financial sense to renovate that building. Those could be amazing apartments. The sad reality is that whatever replaces it won't be a nice brick and glass building, but likely some hardie board box on stilts with tiny windows and parking on the main level.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
I love those old brick buildings. I wish it made financial sense to renovate that building. Those could be amazing apartments. The sad reality is that whatever replaces it won't be a nice brick and glass building, but likely some hardie board box on stilts with tiny windows and parking on the main level.
Truth. The stuff from the postwar years always looked so sturdy and timeless with the masonry and steel construction. Just walk up and down the streets of Bro-Ass to see many quality builds from those years.

By contrast, so much of what's gone up in Osborne Village now is just a glorified shanty and you wonder how well they will age. I mean, it's nice to see new development but the way some of it looks... yeesh. I guess it would be easier to say goodbye to the old buildings if something a bit nicer than this calibre of design was replacing them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan