HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
Seems we lost...

Judge OKs World Trade Center ‘fortress’ zone
What's even the point of remaking the streets if you're not gonna allow traffic? Isn't that the exact same as just making another superblock?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 8:35 PM

Except now we get to also clog up and block surrounding streets by installing military checkpoint style police screening stations!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 3:20 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

As of February 15th, 2014...

EarthCam

EarthCam

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 10:20 AM

I'm impressed with the rapid progress on the ribs recently, considering the winter weather. They seemed to pause several weeks back but recently it has picked up again.

Also, I was surprised that they have been building the ribs around the cranes. I had expected that they would slide the cranes inward as the ribs were put in such that the cranes would always be just inside of the most recently placed ribs. But instead they left the cranes in place and built around them, it will be interesting to see how their eventual removal is accomplished.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 9:05 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidinasia View Post
I'm impressed with the rapid progress on the ribs recently, considering the winter weather. They seemed to pause several weeks back but recently it has picked up again.

Also, I was surprised that they have been building the ribs around the cranes. I had expected that they would slide the cranes inward as the ribs were put in such that the cranes would always be just inside of the most recently placed ribs. But instead they left the cranes in place and built around them, it will be interesting to see how their eventual removal is accomplished.
Their removal is quite simple. A crane will grab the top, and another smaller crane will grab the bottom from inside. They can't slide because they are reinforced due to the tandem lifting action.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 2:02 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

WTC Museum Exhibits Set for Spring Opening
February 13, 2014

Original WTC observatory signage is part of the historical exhibit in the 9-11 Museum

Quote:
New additions to the National September 11 Memorial and Museum are now in place within the expansive underground complex, which is slated to open in May 2014. From a partially destroyed FDNY ambulance, to original World Trade Center observatory signs, to an intact bike rack with bicycles still locked on, artifacts of all sizes and from all corners of the site are part of now near-complete exhibitions filling out the museum's 110,000 square feet.

Museum officials recently shared a construction progress report, releasing new exhibit images and expounding on the interactive and multimedia features that will help tell the story of the WTC history, events of September 11th, and the long recovery process at Ground Zero.

In addition, a $24 general-admission fee will be implemented to visit the Museum. However, there also will be discounts for seniors, youth, and local schools, with free admission every Tuesday from 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. Family members of WTC victims also will have free access at all times.

"Following a decision made by the Board to ensure the organization's financial health, the 9-11 Memorial will charge an admission to the Museum to help fund the necessary operational costs," said Joe Daniels, Memorial president. "The 9-11 Memorial does not yet receive government support for ongoing operations as many other important museums of our national history do.

"A general-admission ticket of $24 will help fulfill our obligation to commemorate and preserve the history of 9-11 [and] enable educational programming," he continued. "Museum admissions also will ensure that the Memorial, which has had more than 11.5 million visitors since opening two years ago, will be free and open to everyone."

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 5:54 AM

wow great progress the last few weeks! Gotta hand it to these workers keeping up the hard work with all this snow and freezing weather this year!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
Their removal is quite simple. A crane will grab the top, and another smaller crane will grab the bottom from inside. They can't slide because they are reinforced due to the tandem lifting action.
Yes however will the remove the current cranes before adding the tips to the wings or after? That will make the reach of another crane much more difficult. Perhaps they will install the southern side, remove the cranes and then install the northern side?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelfannumber1 View Post
What's even the point of remaking the streets if you're not gonna allow traffic? Isn't that the exact same as just making another superblock?
So that the NYPD may enjoy another private parking lot, of course. Park Row wasn't enough to satisfy them, apparently.

If we're lucky, Fulton and Greenwich will become the new Broadway on Times Square, painted green with tables and chairs, allowing plenty of space for public events.

EDIT: Wouldn't it be cool to have outdoor concerts on Greenwich Street at the Fulton Street crossing? I've always thought that the concerts at the Austin J. Tobin Plaza were fantastic.

Last edited by Enigmatism415; Feb 19, 2014 at 10:52 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 3:00 PM

Yeah, too bad the powers that be will want to always keep this as a "solemn place of mourning". Loud up-beat concerts are no way to honor the dead! And by honor the dead of course I mean let the government remind you that you're weak and vulnerable and that a crazy "terrorist" could blow you up at any moment...

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 4:19 AM

Actually I read somewhere on that the plaza outside the Transit hub will host outdoor concert and events by Westfield.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 10:28 PM

Where did the EarthCam webcam go? For the Transportation Hub?
Link doesnt work anymore

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 1:26 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

As of February 18th, 2014...

Braving the freezing temperatures, Ironworkers continue to make progress at WTC Transportation Hub Oculus.

©WTC Progress on Facebook

As of February 19th, 2014...

Work continues at the WTC Transportation Hub upper “mezzanine” level walk-way, the home of future retail storefronts.

©WTC Progress on Facebook

Posted February 21st, 2014...

New PATH platform (A) at WTC:

©STT757 on Wired New York

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 1:39 AM
BANNED

That is a very nice station. Hopefully those new stations on 2nd avenue will look the same or similar.

Last edited by Perklol; Feb 23, 2014 at 10:32 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 4:19 AM

That is a seriously nice looking platform.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
That is a very nice station. Hopefully those new stations on 2nd avenue look the same/similar.
^^Different system, this is NJ PATH, and generally they take better care of their stations then the MTA. I wouldn't trust the New York subway in Pure white like that though..

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 10:06 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
^^Different system, this is NJ PATH, and generally they take better care of their stations then the MTA. I wouldn't trust the New York subway in Pure white like that though..
No, that would require janitors and routine maintenance. God knows that will never happen.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 5:34 PM

I love the attention to detail. The warning strip is white not yellow, the 3rd rail guard is white not yellow... It's a very clean, modern platform. I can't wait until this whole thing opens up.

The plan right now is to open platform A tomorrow. Maybe if I have time I'll get some pictures.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 5:46 PM

Will these platforms be air conditioned?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 6:00 PM

Some photos from today's opening:

Source:CBS News

Source:CBS News

Source:Getty Images

I love this platform... The slurry wall is really an excellent touch as well. Very well done. Look at that LCD information screen in clean white type hidden within frosted glass... If this is any indication of the rest of the terminal, then I can't wait to see the whole thing when it's done...

Oh, and to the above poster, yet this will all be air-conditioned, although at the platform level they will probably rely on ventilation from trains (piston action in the tunnels)

Last edited by drumz0rz; Feb 25, 2014 at 6:15 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture