HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 1:55 AM

This whole vision for the WFCU centre and area that Eddie Francis sold us never came to fruition. The hotels and major franchises never came. We are basically building a sporting destination in the middle of a neighbourhood with no businesses in the immediate area.[/QUOTE]

I live on the East End and building WFCU outside of the core was the dumbest move regardless of what some East Enders think. WFCU is now 16 years old, every year is another step closer to having a new Spitfires Arena downtown, if our City Council isn’t run by air heads at that time in the future.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 3:33 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick42 View Post
This whole vision for the WFCU centre and area that Eddie Francis sold us never came to fruition. The hotels and major franchises never came. We are basically building a sporting destination in the middle of a neighbourhood with no businesses in the immediate area.
I live on the East End and building WFCU outside of the core was the dumbest move regardless of what some East Enders think. WFCU is now 16 years old, every year is another step closer to having a new Spitfires Arena downtown, if our City Council isn’t run by air heads at that time in the future.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how true this is, but I was told the city originally wanted to put the WFCU Centre where Adventure Bay is- but Caesar's said they'd pull out if the city put a competing stadium that close to them (in fear of losing events from the Coliseum). So they put Adventure Bay there, and the WFCU went where it is now. Again, I was simply told this and have no political ties, so it could all be hearsay.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 2:57 PM

It doesn’t surprise me that Caesars wouldn’t want an arena so close by. The Colosseum and WFCU have very similar capacities for concerts, so there would have been direct competition between the two venues.

I don’t see a downtown arena happening for a very long time, but I would eventually like to see it happen since WFCU is in such a trash location. I think the key would be something ~10,000 seats (similar to Budweiser Gardens in London) so the arena wouldn’t be attracting the same kind of concerts as Caesars anyway. The issue right now is that Windsor absolutely does not need an arena that big (the Spits only fill up 2/3 of WFCU regularly these days) and probably won’t for another 20-30 years. Windsor needs to focus on getting more development downtown before worrying about something like a new arena.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 3:33 PM

I don't think a Hockey arena will make it back downtown for years or decades to come. I did like the idea by the spencer/butcher group for the old Windsor arena to be renovated for our Basketball franchise. Although the city has designated that site for future housing.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 3:35 PM

2 storey townhomes planned for the west side off of Campbell street.
https://www.citywindsor.ca/documents...20&%20Topo.pdf

Tecumseh Mall gives Windsor Transit the boot. New east end terminal planned.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...inal-1.7249895

Last edited by inter777; Jul 3, 2024 at 4:23 PM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 4:23 PM

Noticed a large plot of land being cleared behind the Home Depot on the east end next to the Serbian centre. Couldn't find any information about it so I'm wondering if it's just being prepped for sale. I keep hearing about getting another costco but I highly doubt that.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inter777 View Post
Noticed a large plot of land being cleared behind the Home Depot on the east end next to the Serbian centre. Couldn't find any information about it so I'm wondering if it's just being prepped for sale. I keep hearing about getting another costco but I highly doubt that.
Interesting, putting a Costco right next to the Walmart seems wrong but who knows. Lakeshore area is ripe for a Costco.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 8:15 PM

Looks like it will be a commercial development consisting of approximately 275,000 sq.ft. of gross floor area over multiple buildings. Catherine Street to be extended to the development with additional access from Tecumseh rd.
More details at the open house planned for July 23, 6-7pm at the Serbian Centre.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 8:14 PM

$117m for Transit Windsor improvements
https://windsorite.ca/2024/07/more-t...ansit-windsor/

$30m for Windsor Regional Hospital renovations
https://www.link2build.ca/news/artic...h-renovations/

Flo-Telus investing in EV charging infrastructure along the riverfront
https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/pay-to-pa...ions-1.6955770

Tenders sought for the redevelopment of Belle River marina, pier, beach and facilities
https://windsorite.ca/2024/07/lakesh...redevelopment/

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 5:20 PM

Demo work has started on the Sears building at Devonshire mall.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2024, 6:40 PM

$358m natural gas project announced in Leamington
https://www.am800cklw.com/news/358-m...n-ontario.html

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario