HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 11:49 PM

Several projects popped up on the city's proposed development page including site layout for the long term care facility. Also another 166 units of townhouses in Westerra just south of the Coop gas station. And 162 units of townhouses opposite of Costco to the west.

https://www.regina.ca/business-devel...d-development/

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 11:59 PM

Yeah Avana is building alot right now. I belive both projects are Avana rentals, Westera forsure is.

Iv also heard Coop is looking to add liquor stores to there eastend location on quance, I believe a new standalone building and on rochdale, potentially old I live sushi spot.

Boardwalk has also had its brass in the city over the last bit doing tours, possible build out at there pines edge sites, original plan called for 6 buildings, currently there are three 4 story buildings.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougler306 View Post
Yeah Avana is building alot right now. I belive both projects are Avana rentals, Westera forsure is.

Iv also heard Coop is looking to add liquor stores to there eastend location on quance, I believe a new standalone building and on rochdale, potentially old I live sushi spot.

Boardwalk has also had its brass in the city over the last bit doing tours, possible build out at there pines edge sites, original plan called for 6 buildings, currently there are three 4 story buildings.
Huge demand for multi-family now with all the international immigration. Avana is building west of Costco - 162 units. Northridge just scaled back a 108 unit development in the Greens to 27 units due to local opposition. It also has 82 units going up nearby next to the former Glasshouse.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 3:04 PM

I see the zoning amendment is up for the Specialized Longer Term Care Facility to replace Pioneer Village. This is going up south of Polytech on the proposed health care campus. It will have 240 residents. The budget is only $10 million for this. That doesn't seem possible to me. You can't build anything for $10 million and more.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougler306 View Post

I have seen the development permit and the announcement for the Coop liquor store on Rochdale in the old I Love Sushi spot.

I have not seen anything about Quance. I live in that end of town and would love that option. If you have any info on that please share it. You said they were planning a standalone building for it?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 7:23 PM

https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...ity-for-regina
New $128.1-million aquatic facility announced for Regina
The facility will be heated by geothermal technology and is set to replace the aging Lawson Aquatic Centre.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 11:12 PM

https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...s-regina-mayor
Mayor Sandra Masters concluded her annual state-of-the-city address on Thursday with a casual quip that she will seek a second term as the city’s mayor come election time this fall.

“I still believe what I believed four years ago,” she said.

“I believe that we’ve got a lot of work to do, and we’ve got a really incredible opportunity as a city for growth, for investments, for the kind of life we all want for our grandkids.
All in all, the dollar value of that laundry list of projects totals more than $250 million in capital investment for Regina.

“I want it so my grandkids can see themselves living here, having world class assets, having flights out of the airport, that living here is affordable,” Masters told the room.

Masters also flagged the construction of a new main branch for the Regina Public Library, replacement the Brandt Centre and expansion of the city’s water and wastewater systems as projects on her radar

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...s-regina-mayor

Masters also flagged the construction of a new main branch for the Regina Public Library, replacement the Brandt Centre and expansion of the city’s water and wastewater systems as projects on her radar
Learn from Saskatoon's experience on the New Central Library up here. Don't put blind faith in your cost consultant(s) - consult with industry to get a realistic, current budget before pulling the trigger on the project. The same can be said for all major capital projects.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 4:37 PM

Northridge's latest condo complex is under construction in Evan's Court in Hillsdale. Good location, pedestrian architecture.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Northridge's latest condo complex is under construction in Evan's Court in Hillsdale. Good location, pedestrian architecture.

It's giving 1993 realness

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 5:23 PM

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/regina-s-b...rier-1.6799818
Regina's Brandt Centre experiences mechanical issues for second time in 2 days during Brier
Hopefully one day this orange buffoon of a building will be gone replaced by a new 17,000 seat arena. Well here’s hoping.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Learn from Saskatoon's experience on the New Central Library up here. Don't put blind faith in your cost consultant(s) - consult with industry to get a realistic, current budget before pulling the trigger on the project. The same can be said for all major capital projects.
How is the progress going on Saskatoon’s new Central Library? It’s actually quite beautiful.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 7:32 PM

Is anyone actually expecting Masters to win in the fall? She's the most hated municipal politician I've ever seen in Regina.

Rumor mill is that Fougure eyeing another term.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluBobo View Post
Is anyone actually expecting Masters to win in the fall? She's the most hated municipal politician I've ever seen in Regina.

Rumor mill is that Fougure eyeing another term.
Unless Doka Ryan beats her, she will be re-elected.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 7:46 PM

I agree with the RPL's decision to consider building elsewhere. Why move twice and have to find a place to rent for several years. I am guessing whoever they were negotiating with for temporary space made them an attractive offer for a permanent location. Cornwall Centre perhaps?

Other options would include Harvard's Tower 4 site - remember their proposal below?

Even the Namarind housing site on Lorne is a possibility. Rail yards would also work.

https://central.reginalibrary.ca/rpl...brary-building

Last edited by Stormer; Mar 8, 2024 at 8:14 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Loved the 2011 Library proposal.

Does remember this library? Proposal is actually quite nice.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 11:00 PM

Maybe the failed Namerind Housing Towers empty location for the new Library?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Huge demand for multi-family now with all the international immigration. Avana is building west of Costco - 162 units. Northridge just scaled back a 108 unit development in the Greens to 27 units due to local opposition. It also has 82 units going up nearby next to the former Glasshouse.
Where exactly is the development that was scaled back to 27 units?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 12:03 AM

The Douglas Ave project is on the proposed development page again with more detailed plans and an information session on the 21st. There is an alley off Douglas, so I wonder if that is intended to be the primary access instead of 20th Ave (probably not, plan shows parking lot access is one way).

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 12:47 AM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...tion-1.7138463
Regina Public Library broadens search for central library sites

Library board seeks information from developers for other potential locations

In the meantime, the library board plans for the central branch to relocate temporarily in the fall, then the old building will be demolished.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan