HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150...ver-2300-homes

looks like they are going to get going on a slightly denser plan for Cabrini Green soon with phase 1 set to kick off

Still no word on the rowhomes as a lawsuit is preventing any progress there.
What is this? A proposal for ants?! The master plan has to be at least... three times more dense than this!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 4:16 PM
BANNED

Anyone know something about a 7 story condo building going up at North and Clark, replacing that old theatre that's been shut down for a few years now? Spyguy?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Anyone know something about a 7 story condo building going up at North and Clark, replacing that old theatre that's been shut down for a few years now? Spyguy?
It's been posted here before. Faux historic stone thing with lots of arches and crap. You'll hate it.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 4:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
It's been posted here before. Faux historic stone thing with lots of arches and crap. You'll hate it.
Lame. Yeah my buddy's one of the engineers on it. Said that theatre is coming down. Lame.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 4:40 PM

Quote:
The theater is not coming down, AFIK. It's landmarked. All proposals that I have seen have the building abutting the theater. It was approved in March. 48 DUs, 48 parking spaces (original proposal was 110+ DUs and 52 parking spaces).

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 4:47 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
On my way to work this morning, I noticed a couple of soil testing rigs. The one that really caught my eye was at Lincoln and Roscoe next to the Paulina Brown Line stop.

Here's a reminder of the proposal for that lot: New Transit-Friendly Development Planned for Empty Lot.
That article says it could be 5,6 or 7 floors. Which size was decided on?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Lame. Yeah my buddy's one of the engineers on it. Said that theatre is coming down. Lame.
It's not coming down.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
It's not coming down.
When the building was landmarked last year (or was it the year before) only the facade was very specifically protected. I believe I read that the auditorium was being demolished and a new tower was to be built behind the facade. I don't remember where that came from though.

Edit here it is:
http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...rks-commission

Tower goes next door but the theater would be replaced with retail.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 6:16 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
The TOD thing is really gathering momentum.
^ Ain't this the truth. I would hope that these early few developments are successful and ignite a new trend citywide.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 6:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
When the building was landmarked last year (or was it the year before) only the facade was very specifically protected. I believe I read that the auditorium was being demolished and a new tower was to be built behind the facade. I don't remember where that came from though.

Edit here it is:
http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...rks-commission

Tower goes next door but the theater would be replaced with retail.
Still will ruin the character of that block. Not a fan.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Ain't this the truth. I would hope that these early few developments are successful and ignite a new trend citywide.
Yeah if these become popular enough, maybe someday we can upgrade our transit system with quiter cars, more stops, etc

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 6:41 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Still will ruin the character of that block. Not a fan.
It hasn't been a functioning theatre in years, maybe a decade. Having something functional there will benefit the block. Losing the single-story corner diner is not, in my opinion, any loss at all. Those are the only things that change on that stretch of Clark, so I'm not sure how the character is harmed, only enhanced. Sure, the new building's architecture could be better, but as far as function goes, things will be better.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
The theater is not coming down, AFIK. It's landmarked. All proposals that I have seen have the building abutting the theater. It was approved in March. 48 DUs, 48 parking spaces (original proposal was 110+ DUs and 52 parking spaces).
Ah yes, I recall the meeting a year or so ago wherein the residents of the 43-story, 400' James House were aghast and offended by the prospect of the proposed 12-story building with a FAR of under 5.0 (that is, less than the allowable density under the B3-5 classification the site had until it was pre-emptively downzoned via aldermanic extortion/pandering).

One resident exclaimed "Germania Place is one of the, if not the, most congested streets in the city!"

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
One resident exclaimed "Germania Place is one of the, if not the, most congested streets in the city!"
Haha. I think I could walk down the center of Germania Place no problem. The things these people come up with to try and prevent their little slice of the city from changing...or their views from being obstructed.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Speaking of which: http://www.chicagomag.com/city-life/...s-no-problems/

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 9:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
It hasn't been a functioning theatre in years, maybe a decade. Having something functional there will benefit the block. Losing the single-story corner diner is not, in my opinion, any loss at all. Those are the only things that change on that stretch of Clark, so I'm not sure how the character is harmed, only enhanced. Sure, the new building's architecture could be better, but as far as function goes, things will be better.
Two of my buddies used to work the projection machine there from high school until like 2008 or 09 or when ever it closed… I don't really remember when exactly. I miss that place; I don't think I EVER paid to see a movie there.

Wish someone would restore it rather than sterilize the block with new development. :/

Hey guys, another question. What's being built at Honore and Division? Looks BIG.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Hey guys, another question. What's being built at Honore and Division? Looks BIG.
36 unit apt building:

courtesy of Curbed

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 9:33 PM
BANNED

Oh nice. Thanks!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 1:58 AM

Interesting - 8 new SFH building permits have been issued this year for the area bounded by I-90, Halsted, Pershing, and about 45th. Also 6 townhomes just north of Pershing around there. 5 of those are between 41st St, 42nd place, Wallace, and Normal. Would be interesting to see if this is the beginning of something in that area.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Is this the south side or north side of North Avenue? If we're talking about the southwest corner where the restaurant was then that building will be about 10 floors and will use real limestone and brick.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development