HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 9:28 PM

I think it has more to do with the security perimeter not being ready than unfinished construction of the towers. 4wtc will undoubtedly be completed by then and 1wtc will be very close to be fully wrapped up but I don't think the plan to secure the WTC is gonna be fully implemented by then considering it's being challenged by local residents.
I haven't paid much attention to this but can someone explain why they can't just turn it into a pedestrian mall if they're concerned about vehicles traveling thru the site? I understand they wanna restore the street grid but quite honestly, it would be more enjoyable for people to walk around.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 4:55 PM

The original plan called for returning the streets and breaking up the super block. That's why 7 WTC was built so small and tall (compared to the original 7) and unblocked Greenwich St. The plan envisioned was to reconnect the WTC complex with NYC. Having traffic flowing through would return the area still (incorrectly) referred to as 'Ground Zero' to normalcy.

So with that plan in hand, they went to work designing and constructing the center. It wasn't until a few years ago, that the NYPD decided that they needed to treat the area like a federal prison and determined that they would need to erect guard booths at every entrance, and restrict traffic flow (oh and guarantee a dozen or so jobs in perpetuity...). This was after the redesigned 1 WTC at the NYPD's request, to be the concrete fortress it is today.

Personally, I think the NYPD's plan to seal off the site is a horrible idea. It closes off the center from the rest of the city, and it gives anyone who visits this heightened security police state mentality. It sends the message that we're afraid and on guard, not the message that we're resilient and tough. Paving roads no cars can drive down is stupid. If the NYPD really wants to lock the site down, they might as well ditch the roads and turn it back into one big pedestrian plaza (hey, at least it would let us put the Sphere back on the exact spot (albeit 1 story lower) where it originally stood!)

The only other example of what the NYPD is trying to accomplish is around the NYSE. A short section of Wall St, Exchange Pl, and a few tiny alley roads were blocked by barriers and turned pedestrian only. Unlike the WTC plan, this works for 3 reasons:
1. The roads were extremely narrow and not conducive to traffic flow. Greenwich St on the other hand is a major thoroughfare or at least it was supposed to be.

2. Wall St is a major tourist destination, but there is no plaza or open public space for these tourists to congregate. By closing the roads, it has created a large public plaza much like closing Broadway in Times Square. They have also replaced the paved asphalt with paving stones to enhance the aesthetic. The WTC on the other hand has a multi-acre open memorial plaza available to the public.

3. The historic NYSE trading floor is only approx. 20 ft off Exchange Pl behind a thin masonry wall. A truck bomb detonated in front of the building would inflict serious structural damage. 1 WTC on the other hand has a 16 story bunker base with a concrete reinforced outer wall designed to deflect blasts. It is also built further off the road to minimize risk. Even the lower windows facing the open roads are reinforced against shockwaves. A truck bomb would do little more than break the glass facade.
Finally, the notion that 1 WTC is a terrorist target is a silly argument to push. While I'm not disagreeing that there are likely people out there who would love to attack these buildings, the same argument could be made for dozens of other unprotected sites around NYC. Are we going to close 34th Street because of it's close proximity to the Empire State Building? Surely we should close 7th Ave to protect the populated Times Square from bombers right? The Brooklyn Bridge is also a NY treasure. We should close it and make it pedestrian only (after passing through a security checkpoint) because god forbid someone could detonate a truck bomb mid-span and destroy that 131 year old treasure. Hell, terrorists could strike anywhere, we might as well ban all personal transportation and force everyone to take public transportation, after having their bags inspected of course.

TL;DR? The NYPD security at the future WTC is "security theater" and is a waste of time / effort. It undoes the progress and vision of the new WTC complex by promoting fear and an increased police state.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 5:18 PM

Very good post drumz.

I'd like to add that the NYPD has pretty much turned the Park Row area around their headquarters building (which by the way is ugly as sin) into a dead zone just like they would like to do here.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
"Platform A" Is that a PATH platform (will all PATH platforms eventually get that sexy makeover) or is that the Cortlandt St 1 platform we're looking at? Either way, it looks great.
I take it back, this must be what the PATH terminal platforms will look like. The Cortlandt St 1 will have side platforms, not an island.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 5:18 PM

Looky, looky....

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/...lleniumhilton1

Wouldn't it be sweet if they kept these angles.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 10:50 PM

Thank you for the new pic !

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 1:44 PM

Quote:
"Platform A" Is that a PATH platform (will all PATH platforms eventually get that sexy makeover) or is that the Cortlandt St 1 platform we're looking at? Either way, it looks great.
I'd assume it is a PATH platform due to the PANYNJ posting and today's:
"Worker tests the signage on PATH’s platform A at One WTC Transportation Hub."

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 4:43 PM

Does anyone have a link to some high res pictures of progress being made on this station?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 5:13 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
The original plan called for returning the streets and breaking up the super block. That's why 7 WTC was built so small and tall (compared to the original 7) and unblocked Greenwich St. The plan envisioned was to reconnect the WTC complex with NYC. Having traffic flowing through would return the area still (incorrectly) referred to as 'Ground Zero' to normalcy.

So with that plan in hand, they went to work designing and constructing the center. It wasn't until a few years ago, that the NYPD decided that they needed to treat the area like a federal prison and determined that they would need to erect guard booths at every entrance, and restrict traffic flow (oh and guarantee a dozen or so jobs in perpetuity...). This was after the redesigned 1 WTC at the NYPD's request, to be the concrete fortress it is today.

Personally, I think the NYPD's plan to seal off the site is a horrible idea. It closes off the center from the rest of the city, and it gives anyone who visits this heightened security police state mentality. It sends the message that we're afraid and on guard, not the message that we're resilient and tough. Paving roads no cars can drive down is stupid. If the NYPD really wants to lock the site down, they might as well ditch the roads and turn it back into one big pedestrian plaza (hey, at least it would let us put the Sphere back on the exact spot (albeit 1 story lower) where it originally stood!)

The only other example of what the NYPD is trying to accomplish is around the NYSE. A short section of Wall St, Exchange Pl, and a few tiny alley roads were blocked by barriers and turned pedestrian only. Unlike the WTC plan, this works for 3 reasons:
1. The roads were extremely narrow and not conducive to traffic flow. Greenwich St on the other hand is a major thoroughfare or at least it was supposed to be.

2. Wall St is a major tourist destination, but there is no plaza or open public space for these tourists to congregate. By closing the roads, it has created a large public plaza much like closing Broadway in Times Square. They have also replaced the paved asphalt with paving stones to enhance the aesthetic. The WTC on the other hand has a multi-acre open memorial plaza available to the public.

3. The historic NYSE trading floor is only approx. 20 ft off Exchange Pl behind a thin masonry wall. A truck bomb detonated in front of the building would inflict serious structural damage. 1 WTC on the other hand has a 16 story bunker base with a concrete reinforced outer wall designed to deflect blasts. It is also built further off the road to minimize risk. Even the lower windows facing the open roads are reinforced against shockwaves. A truck bomb would do little more than break the glass facade.
Finally, the notion that 1 WTC is a terrorist target is a silly argument to push. While I'm not disagreeing that there are likely people out there who would love to attack these buildings, the same argument could be made for dozens of other unprotected sites around NYC. Are we going to close 34th Street because of it's close proximity to the Empire State Building? Surely we should close 7th Ave to protect the populated Times Square from bombers right? The Brooklyn Bridge is also a NY treasure. We should close it and make it pedestrian only (after passing through a security checkpoint) because god forbid someone could detonate a truck bomb mid-span and destroy that 131 year old treasure. Hell, terrorists could strike anywhere, we might as well ban all personal transportation and force everyone to take public transportation, after having their bags inspected of course.

TL;DR? The NYPD security at the future WTC is "security theater" and is a waste of time / effort. It undoes the progress and vision of the new WTC complex by promoting fear and an increased police state.
Here Here!

As someone who works next door (1 liberty), closing this area off to traffic flow is a horrible mistake. Right now your North-bound options are West Side Highway, Water Street (which turns into a mess just North of the BK Bridge) and the FDR. None of which are easily accessible without going several blocks further South than you want to and getting caught up in traffic heading into the Batter Park Tunnel.

Reopen the Street Grid, and reopen lower manhattan!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 7:19 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Does anyone have a link to some high res pictures of progress being made on this station?
As of February 6th, 2014...

Earthcam

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeworm View Post
As of February 6th, 2014...

Earthcam
Nice shot. Thanks for that. What about progress being made on the inside?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 8:36 PM

Quote:
the notion that 1 WTC is a terrorist target is a silly argument to push.
Exactly. The terrorists have already firmly established their victory at the World Trade Center, as the once mighty Twin Towers have been reduced to a pair of large voids sunk into the ground, accompanied by the world's tallest bunker. I'm sure they'll strike NYC again, but not there; it would be beating a dead horse.

Quote:
The NYPD security at the future WTC is "security theater" and is a waste of time / effort.
Don't forget a supreme waste of money; the developers need all the money they can amass for more important things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I'd like to add that the NYPD has pretty much turned the Park Row area around their headquarters building (which by the way is ugly as sin) into a dead zone just like they would like to do here.
I was cycling through that dead zone once, and the guard at the booth wouldn't even allow me to pass through the Police Plaza underpass (by far the most convenient route between Chinatown and City Hall). I asked him if this road would ever be reopened to the public, and he responded: "Nope. You can thank the Taliban for that." Sure, I ultimately blame the terrorists for most of downtown's sorry state, but I blame the persisting paranoia and self-serving attitude of NYC politicians and NYPD bigwigs more, because they're ensuring that it stays this way in perpetuity. I used to live in FiDi for a few years, and getting through the Park Row 'green zone' was always depressing and inconvenient.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 3:50 AM

When is the Calatrava sculpture estimated to be completed? Seems like each spine takes quite long to place.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 3:30 PM

2016 I believe.

It interesting how you they're installed temporary cross bracing AND cable anchors holding the fins up. The opposite sides will only touch via a ribbon of glass, they won't support each other at all. While the fins will brace each other laterally, it seems like more of the support will come from the balance the tips will provide once installed. Seems rather delicate.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Here Here!

As someone who works next door (1 liberty), closing this area off to traffic flow is a horrible mistake. Right now your North-bound options are West Side Highway, Water Street (which turns into a mess just North of the BK Bridge) and the FDR. None of which are easily accessible without going several blocks further South than you want to and getting caught up in traffic heading into the Batter Park Tunnel.

Reopen the Street Grid, and reopen lower manhattan!
Seems we lost...

Judge OKs World Trade Center ‘fortress’ zone
Quote:
THE CITY’S plan to impose a series of restrictions around the new World Trade Center was upheld Thursday by a Manhattan judge who dismissed a lawsuit by downtown residents who said the security was akin to the Berlin Wall.

Justice Margaret Chan said that the NYPD did a proper environmental review before adopting the plan and she rejected the claim that the plan will isolate a 16-acre area and create more hazards.

Downtown residents argued that the plan will create a 'fortress' environment with strict vehicular and pedestrian access restrictions, cause more air pollution as idling tour buses wait nearby to be inspected before discharging tourists coming to see the 9/11 Memorial, and create a terror threat because cars parking under the new WTC would be inspected for bombs only after entering the garage.

After taking a walking tour of the area with advocates on both sides, Chan said city lawyers had convinced her that the NYPD had thoroughly evaluated alternative plans.

"While the NYPD has to consider a reasonable number of alternatives, these alternatives do not have to be the same as those proposed by the (opponents)," the judge wrote. One alternative proposed by WTC neighbors was to have tour buses idle further uptown before being inspected.
Source:NY Daily New

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 5:07 PM

From WTC Progress Facebook Page:

"Work continues at WTC Transportation Hub PATH Transit Hall."

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 3:00 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 4:50 PM

It looks like a brotherhood of nod building.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 5:30 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

As of February 10th, 2014...

Ironworker welds steel arch segment at WTC Transportation Hub.

©WTC Progress on Facebook

As of February 11th, 2014...

Building of the temporary partition around the perimeter of the Oculus to protect the workers from extreme conditions continues.

As of February 12th, 2014...

Sixty-six Oculus steel segments and seventy-six upper portals are installed at the WTC Transportation Hub.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 5:41 PM

The transportation hub is amazing in person. It's just so huge and crazy looking, I'm sure it'll win tons of awards upon completion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture