HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx14 View Post
Seems like this will really happen. Amazing considering Austin is not a major city but a college town with good night life and a quirky unique personality. However those who have said Austin is in the big leagues now seem to base this on our growing quite impressive skyline. But Austin has no major league sports (soccer is not a major sport just the big 4). We are over shadowed by Dallas and Houston and maybe San Antonio though that one is more of a large tourist town with a basketball team though it does over shadow Austin a bit. We have no major zoo or amusement parks. Austin needs a real sports team to establish its identity among the rest of the country also something for all Austinites to rally around. But until then cities with a smaller population such as Cincinnati near to me seem to be much more professional looking at the stadiums it gives you a felling you are in a major city. A major city can not be dominated by a college such as UT does to Austin. So again we are the least (major) city on Earth with a super tall.
Oh Lordy, Please .... not the "I need a sports team to create an Identity for me" crap again. Perhaps it's what makes Austin unique and a haven for people who are not defined by for profit sports teams. I'm still waiting for more "world class architecture. Not a stadium. You also have to realize that AUSTIN is just starting to really gain Philanthropic money that builds public Amenities. It's only been in the last 15 years that we have seen efforts like the Long Center and the Park Conservancy begin that large scale efforts that places that were large cities 100 years ago have. I'm happy for the slow burn. Better quality over time than filler.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 7:31 PM

And the smackdown keeps on going!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 7:36 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx14 View Post
Seems like this will really happen. Amazing considering Austin is not a major city but a college town with good night life and a quirky unique personality. However those who have said Austin is in the big leagues now seem to base this on our growing quite impressive skyline. But Austin has no major league sports (soccer is not a major sport just the big 4). We are over shadowed by Dallas and Houston and maybe San Antonio though that one is more of a large tourist town with a basketball team though it does over shadow Austin a bit. We have no major zoo or amusement parks. Austin needs a real sports team to establish its identity among the rest of the country also something for all Austinites to rally around. But until then cities with a smaller population such as Cincinnati near to me seem to be much more professional looking at the stadiums it gives you a felling you are in a major city. A major city can not be dominated by a college such as UT does to Austin. So again we are the least (major) city on Earth with a super tall.
WOW! I too don't know where to start with this malarky.

Let's please not bog down this thread with nonsense like this.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strayone View Post
...BTW has anyone come up with a nickname for this building? I'm stumped as to a fitting nomer for it.
Like Londoners have The Gherkin and The Shard? Well...I am stumped as well except for the crown reminds me an open lid of a can...therefore, The Lid.

As far as Austin being in the Big Leagues, in the early 1990's the five county metro area had about 850,000 people living here. Now it is close to 2,200,000 people. We are new to The Big Leagues, and as others have stated there are many different ways of being Big. Give us time; We are still very young!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
And the smackdown keeps on going!
oops

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 8:05 PM

Austin has more international presence than most cities in the US as stated by others with SXSW and F1 especially.

It lacks in domestic presence by not fitting the mold of traditional large American cities.

The fact that it doesn't fit that mold is part of the reason it has an international presence. Large American cities are dull, soulless, cookie cutter strip malls with slight variations in climate.

Which in turn is what makes Austin attractive to people who want to live in a city but don't want the same crap they left behind in their last city.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury6 View Post
this thread belongs in a dumpster
How dare you insult dumpsters

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 8:36 PM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
Like Londoners have The Gherkin and The Shard? Well...I am stumped as well except for the crown reminds me an open lid of a can...therefore, The Lid.

As far as Austin being in the Big Leagues, in the early 1990's the five county metro area had about 850,000 people living here. Now it is close to 2,200,000 people. We are new to The Big Leagues, and as others have stated there are many different ways of being Big. Give us time; We are still very young!
Minor correction: In the 2020 census the metro was just a hair under 2.3 million. In the roughly 2 years since it's grown by roughly 100,000 more to around 2.4 million or so.

By the 2030 the 5 county metro will probably be over 2.8 million, and only a few years away from breaking the 3 million people mark.

Of course it is possible more counties could be added to the metro as well, inflating the population even more.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 9:18 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
Of course it is possible more counties could be added to the metro as well, inflating the population even more.
It's been mentioned before, but I can't imagine Burnet County not joining the metro area by 2030. Spicewood and especially Marble Falls are set to grow significantly with large residential developments in the works. Also Liberty Hill is creeping closer to the Burnet County line along highway 29.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2022, 6:53 PM

Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center's beloved great horned owl is missing

https://www.mysanantonio.com/lifesty...g-16947850.php

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is home to two great horned owls, but the female of the pair, Athena, has been the more famous of the two. For the past 11 years, she has made her nest in a sotol planter above a courtyard entrance, giving visitors a rare look at a wild great horned owl with her owlets. As such, she has become a popular fixture at the Wildflower Center.

But Athena fans haven't seen her in her usual spot in 2022, leaving regulars nervous about her fate. After owlets fledge — the second of her two did on May 2 last year — horned owls leave the nest for the nearby woods, where they live and hunt before the female returns back to the nest the following winter. For the first time in more than a decade, Athena has not returned.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2022, 10:20 PM

Russia looks to be kicked out of SWIFT, a major blow to Putin's elite friends and the Russian economy..wonderful! https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/...96413492334599

Old Posted Feb 27, 2022, 2:50 AM

no politics

Old Posted Feb 27, 2022, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
no politics
Discussing a war in Ukraine is not a political discussion.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2022, 12:01 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
Discussing a war in Ukraine is not a political discussion.
War is politics. And even if it wasn’t, this is an Austin thread.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
El Mercado Downtown to close mid-March

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...a-st-location/
Sad.
Another step towards Dallas.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Sad.
Another step towards Dallas.
This is satire, right?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
This is satire, right?
If it is he sticks with the bit in every thread.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 5:33 PM

Yeah, I don't get it. So is San Francisco also becoming like Dallas everytime they build something new? I get that it sucks seeing local staples being turned over into new development. But calling it Dallas is an exaggeration.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
Yeah, I don't get it. So is San Francisco also becoming like Dallas everytime they build something new? I get that it sucks seeing local staples being turned over into new development. But calling it Dallas is an exaggeration.
For real. There's this crazy concept where building more space means that you actually get MORE local restaurants and businesses... lol. But seriously, local businesses get priced out just like existing residents if we don't continue to build more and some ppl just refuse to accept that.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
This is satire, right?
Not at all.
Stripping what’s left of texture and character away for the filler we are primarily getting …. Yields central Dallas. Cold. Soulless.
This is my neighborhood. I invested long ago in an Urban setting. The new high rise at 17th and Guad is great. Gutting one of the last remnants of the original texture of the area is not. The mix makes it better.!!!!!Sorry some of you can’t comprehend that. I know many folks on here get it.

So all you folks who express freely your “ build it taller at all cost ‘ rhetoric in my neighborhood. Please send me your address so I can tell you how yours should look and function. I’m ready! ;-)

Last edited by MichaelB; Mar 2, 2022 at 8:20 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin