HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
If you look around the city a lot of places that were store fronts before are still closed and empty to this day.

Which hurts every citizen regardless of economic status, race, religion, etc.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Yes, he's saying they didn't start looting because they were oppressed in some sort of communist regime in N.Korea for 100 years and finally had a breaking point and went to loot stores to get justice, and things they never had.

He's saying they went to loot because they are opportunists, and they knew they could break into stores while protesting were going on because police were otherwise occupied.

Also here's some numbers for you 76 Incidents Reported last night, 46 Adults Arrested and 3 Teenagers arrested, there would have been more teens if they didn't get away, but those adults knew what they were doing as well, so please stop.

Also, you don't solve societies issues from not doing anything, when you were a teen, and you did something wrong what was the punishment? No Weekend privilege? no car? Loss of respect? and grounding? Or did they just let you do anything? You don't learn anything unless you have consequences, and in this city right now there hasn't been consequences.
Your translation didn't clarify anything. Dude is talking about fight of flight, free speech, and seems to be defining an insanity plea for some reason? My honest first thought was uppers. You're talking about North Korea?

I think part of the issue is that some of you are still trying to respond to things that have not been said. No one here has said they were not opportunists and no one has suggested there should not be consequences. I don't know if this is an intentional straw man or if you're all just imagining shit.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 7:27 PM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Your translation didn't clarify anything. Dude is talking about fight of flight, free speech, and seems to be defining an insanity plea for some reason? My honest first thought was uppers. You're talking about North Korea?

I think part of the issue is that some of you are still trying to respond to things that have not been said. No one here has said they were not opportunists and no one has suggested there should not be consequences. I don't know if this is an intentional straw man or if you're all just imagining shit.
Lets break it down for you.

Quote:
From screamshatter
No sir. Stop.

The looting was premeditated. They were organizing and streaming it. (They were preparing to loot)

In order for your argument to make sense, they would need to be looting bc of an immediate reactionary fear against them personally which blinded their ability to know what they were doing. (They would need to feel like their lives depended on looting, which it didn't)

Fight or flight type behavior. (Ya know fight back or run.)

Systematic grievances do not classify into that bucket nor are they protected with free speech from protest. That’s not the case. This is simple. Criminals being criminals. (Being poor does not mean you can go loot stores, it doesn't give you a right to be a shit head because there's a protest going on for a police shooting, and if you think it does you're spitting on those who have worked hard to build something up for themselves and their families.)

So there's a Highschool break down for you, and if we are using straw mans what are you trying to say?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 7:27 PM
Chris

Some on-topic news...

Drexel is in good hands. Rebecca Rhynhart joining the university.

Drexel taps former mayoral candidate and city official as CFO
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...treasurer.html

An interesting piece about the Bellwether District and travel into the site being limited to a car.
Construction starting this fall on 2 mega-warehouses.

South Philly’s former refinery site is the city’s next big job center. Can it avoid the Navy Yard’s mistakes?
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20230927.html

And SEPTA finally catching up...
SEPTA will begin allowing riders to tap their credit cards, debit cards or mobile apps like Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay at turnstiles for buses, trolleys, the Market-Frankford Line, the Broad Street Line and the Norristown High Speed Line, the agency announced Wednesday.
The local transit authority plans to launch the new payment methods on its Regional Rail lines in early 2024.

SEPTA riders can soon start using credit cards, mobile pay apps on some lines
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...t-rollout.html

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
This also. We live in perhaps the most uniformly walkable big city in the country and our cops sit in cars all day. It's absurd.

And bring back fitness standards. Why do fire fighters have to stay in pristine shape but cops can be 300 pounds? Half the time I see use of force issues (using a weapon unecessarily) I think it's because the cop has no option but given so many of them are in terrible shape.
It's funny cop equipment has gotten better but the training is just not improving in general. I'm not sure if cops today can handle all the situations given to them.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
Sorry - but the biggest opportunist of them all, DJT, is an R -- and he gloats about breaking the rules, so spare me the "liberals" stuff. MAGA is rotting this country from the core outward and yet these looters are the ones that are destroying the fabric of society. Please.

Point blank, this looting sucks and I hope the people are held responsible for it. Short of rethinking modern retail, or living in (even more of a) police state, I don't see hjow you stop this stuff that is at the confluence of hypercapitalism and social media.

I highly doubt that any of the looters identified as D or R, and have no idea what liberal or conservative means.
This has always been my thought. The numbers show that more people don't vote than those who do vote. Political nerds want to think that everyone identifies similar to them but most people just don't give an ish about politics. I often think back to the old Waters World segments from The Factor or the Jay Walking segments on the Tonight Show. The average Jane on the street has no clue. These looting opportunists are most definitely in that "majority".

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdawk View Post
This has always been my thought. The numbers show that more people don't vote than those who do vote. Political nerds want to think that everyone identifies similar to them but most people just don't give an ish about politics. I often think back to the old Waters World segments from The Factor or the Jay Walking segments on the Tonight Show. The average Jane on the street has no clue. These looting opportunists are most definitely in that "majority".
Agreed. However, there certain people with specific political persuasions that seem to make excuses for them, rationalize their behavior and enable them. The comments just on this site alone are evidence of that.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 9:38 PM

Parker weighs in…
Mayoral candidate Cherelle Parker said those behind break-ins and vandalism ‘should be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/el...-20230927.html

Gonna be a lot of angsty progressives over the next decade. They should move lol

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Agreed. However, there certain people with specific political persuasions that seem to make excuses for them, rationalize their behavior and enable them. The comments just on this site alone are evidence of that.
I personally haven't seen this alleged "excuse-making," but an acknowledgement that systemic intergenerational poverty plays a major role in social breakdowns, like looting and violent crime.

Once again, one can support the short-term issue of holding criminals accountable and acknowledge the long-term community (re)building that's absolutely essential in Philadelphia's poorest neighborhoods. They're not mutually exclusive. Presumptive Mayor Parker, a moderate, has rightly emphasized this approach.

We can all agree criminal behavior is rooted in a dysfunctional social breakdown, but no amount of law enforcement is going to fix that macro social issue alone. That's just common sense.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
I personally haven't seen this alleged "excuse-making," but an acknowledgement that systemic intergenerational poverty plays a major role in social breakdowns, like looting and violent crime.
Really? Fair amount of people saying, “if the judge just ruled the right way, this wouldn’t have happened”, implying that looting is a legitimate form of protest - or at the very least are writing it off as no big deal as insurance will cover it.

Moderate Dems really need to open their eyes sometimes..

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 10:06 PM

Quote:
That's nonsense. Which political leaders are excusing and making excuses for vandalism? This reeks of Fox News.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japmes View Post
That's nonsense. Which political leaders are excusing and making excuses for vandalism? This reeks of Fox News.
I dunno. I didn’t say leaders but maybe go back and read what certain people have said on this thread? Lol

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Really? Fair amount of people saying, “if the judge just ruled the right way, this wouldn’t have happened” and are implying the looting is a legitimate form of protest.
Well, I mean, that's an inaccurate take anyway, since the case is not concluded.

But Iogically that statement isn't necessarily condoning the outcome of looting; just reinforcing the point that repercussions are an obvious result of something controversial. Reasonable minds may disagree, but it's kind of benign.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 10:13 PM

Quote:
I dunno. I didn’t say leaders but maybe go back and read what certain people have said on this thread? Lol
I haven't seen anyone excusing vandals. I guess we should just scroll the Internet to find opinions to fit our narrative.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japmes View Post
I haven't seen anyone excusing vandals. I guess we should just scroll the Internet to find opinions to fit our narrative.
Really? Like I said, there’s a fair amount of people saying, “if the judge just ruled the right way, this wouldn’t have happened”, implying that looting is a legitimate form of protest - or at the very least are writing it off as no big deal as insurance will cover it.

In terms of the last one, you don’t have to go “scrolling for it” - there’s several similar comments on the Rittenhouse Facebook group page. There’s been several on this thread over the last few hours! Did you just wake up or something? lol

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 2:43 AM

Jesus guys. Why do we have to personally attack each other? I understand this is a sensitive topic and sensitive situation, and tensions and emotions are definitely running high after the Irizarry stuff and the looting/riots last night. It’s taking us all back to the pain and turmoil of 2020.

Can we all agree and understand that we’re all members of this forum because we love Philadelphia and all want the best for Philadelphia? With that said, we all come from different backgrounds and perceive life differently. We all have different points of views and opinions on things. Everyone should learn to talk productively and not result to personal attacks. At the end of the day, we agree on one thing = our love for Philadelphia. Through the good and the bad.

Now, I’m not punishing anyone. I am going to lock the thread temporarily until I can read and remove any posts with personal insults. When the thread reopens, this discussion will not continue. Please do not continue this conversation to any other threads. Anyone who does may be issued suspensions or more.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 10:34 PM

OK all - we’re back open. Please read my post above and adhere to it.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 1:19 AM

Hey, how 'bout those Eagles and Phillies!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 1:51 AM

I swear I don’t own any Tiki torches

Anyways, good news is that all Walnut shops seem to back up and running with the exception of Apple which apparently will be reopening soon.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 12:05 PM
Chris

Quote:
I swear I don’t own any Tiki torches

Anyways, good news is that all Walnut shops seem to back up and running with the exception of Apple which apparently will be reopening soon.
Are the Wine & Sprits all open? I'd be panicking otherwise, lol.

And I saw posts from the Ball in Rittenhouse last night, looked packed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development