HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 24, 2020, 12:49 AM

There is a tolerance of +10% -20% or something like that. Still need to be fair for sure.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2020, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Sometimes contractors get surprise awards. Tender evaluation is not open to the public. Bidders are frequently disqualified on technicalities. Important technicalities like insurance and bonding. Or math errors.
With the City of Winnipeg depending on the project value the tender awards are discussed publicly at the appropriate civic committee for approval, and things like math errors and other contract omissions may be mentioned if the lowest bid is not recommended. Its not common but I have seen it in the online meeting minutes.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2021, 8:48 PM

Happy new year everyone! I took a drive by st Anne’s and the perimeter the other night and barricades are up saying permanently closed. Bulldozers and excavation machines, and a work trailer are on site!! This is moving along nicely.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2021, 10:06 PM

/\/\/\

You are referring to the St. Mary's interchange, right. Not ST. Anne's?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2021, 11:03 PM

Nope the st Anne’s service road bridge over the seine!

I’m dying to hear some updates about st Mary’s though!!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 12:07 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
Nope the st Anne’s service road bridge over the seine!

I’m dying to hear some updates about st Mary’s though!!
Yeah, I noticed that they were gathering equipment there a couple weeks ago
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 4:43 AM

So exciting!! I hope they announce the interchanges for that area. It can’t go ahead until the service road is complete so it kind of makes you wonder

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 5:30 AM

MI is picking away at all the low hanging fruit (finally). The bridge is costing only 900k plus girders. So pretty cheap. I wouldn't hold this up as a sign of anything imminent in terms of st Anne's interchange. But is a good sign none the less.

If st annes does actually go ahead, the rail overpass would also need to be completed as well. 100 would be free flow from symington road to waverley.

Itll be like 10 years before that happens though. My cynical side.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 6:21 AM

Any at-grade access they can remove is a win in my books.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 2:30 PM

I was doing some online surfing and found out that in 2018 the City of Winnipeg was looking at moving the insect control branch office from Waverly St. and their helicopter site from Grey St. and putting it in land that Manitoba Infrastructure had identified as land needed for the St. Mary's RD/PTH 100 interchange since 1988.

As construction of this new complex has not yet started I'm guessing the city is waiting for MI to finalize what land they need for the interchange and buffer area.

From what I could figure out the land is city property that is part of the land holdings of the South Winnipeg sewer treatment plant. It would be north of the Ron Paul Garden Center.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
MI is picking away at all the low hanging fruit (finally). The bridge is costing only 900k plus girders. So pretty cheap. I wouldn't hold this up as a sign of anything imminent in terms of st Anne's interchange. But is a good sign none the less.

If st annes does actually go ahead, the rail overpass would also need to be completed as well. 100 would be free flow from symington road to waverley.

Itll be like 10 years before that happens though. My cynical side.
To add, I think pth 100 and mcgillivray is next up for upgrades. The province asked WSP for shovel read plans for both st marys and mcgillivray interchanges as part of the south perimeter study. It would likely be a simpler project with just the interchange vs st annes with the rail overpass.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 11:04 PM

It's weird how Trans-Canada Highway still goes through the heart of Winnipeg instead of around along the north side of Perimeter Highway. Shouldn't they update that? You can see the Trans-Canada goes along the Regina Bypass now, for example.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 11:24 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
It's weird how Trans-Canada Highway still goes through the heart of Winnipeg instead of around along the north side of Perimeter Highway. Shouldn't they update that? You can see the Trans-Canada goes along the Regina Bypass now, for example.
TCH follows the south ring, PTH-100.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
TCH follows the south ring, PTH-100.
Highway #1 does go through downtown Winnipeg via Portage Ave and Broadway and is signed as such, PTH-100 is the downtown bypass route.

Calgary appears to be the same way with Highway #1 as the city route and PTH-201 north as the downtown bypass

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 3:07 PM

McGillivray Is quite a large project as the highway is being moved north eastward, and all the associated roadworks. There is also a rail overpass to the north on that one as well.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
McGillivray Is quite a large project as the highway is being moved north eastward, and all the associated roadworks. There is also a rail overpass to the north on that one as well.
Was that railing overpass part of the initial stage design?

One advantage of having to move the highway is not contenting with perimeter traffic and needing to set up detours for it.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 4:48 PM

All the rail overpasses are part of the initial phase. And yes, McGillivray being built offline is great for a lot of things. Both schedule and cost.

The initial phase will still have a freeway. It'll be 4 lanes. The ultimate phase is a 6 lane freeway with reconstruction or alterations to all of the existing interchanges, and upgrades to the newer interchanges, such as St Mary's.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
To add, I think pth 100 and mcgillivray is next up for upgrades.
Not sure why it would be next but it really seems like Portage is quietly sneaking up renovations. The bulk City of Winnipeg water filling station which is impacted by the upgrades was completely demoed and rebuilt on the southwest corner. Now they are reworking the lights at Racetrack Rd just west of the Perimeter. Not sure why but they are putting in new underground wiring and moving the light locations. They also were doing "pavement" work suggesting some sort of changes to the switches for the lights as it wasn't a typically mill and fill operation. As west of the Perimeter is a Provincal highway and east is for the most part City of Winnipeg maintained roads that could explain the change.

That said they just finished a major overhaul of McGillivary and 100 in 2019 and it looks like they are now doing similar work with the traffic lights there. Definitely odd on both fronts. And worth mentioning it isn't some wider overhaul as Camp Manitou/Festival Dr about a KM west of Racetrack Rd isn't getting the same attention currently.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 5:49 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I was planning to spend 2 hours remaking the CentrePort interchange (just for fantasy). Stupid me, I totally misjudged how much space I actually needed so I ended up spending 4 hours on it instead. What pissed me off was that I didn't even have enough space to show all the ramps and to do the loops properly, and that it looked easy on the map but turned out harder on paper (once I needed to draw it).

Anyway, see what I did there?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 5:18 PM
Starring as himself

You should pretty it up with some cows and horses and trees.

You seem to be anticipating a lot of northbound to westbound (and eastbound to southbound) traffic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan