Quote:
Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
New trees being delivered today!!!!!
so they can do trees in the snow?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
so they can do trees in the snow?
Indeed they can. The trees are dormant--like hibernating bears. The only problem is that in the spring they may suffer Post Tramatic Transplant Syndrome waking up in a place they didn't go to sleep in.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
Indeed they can. The trees are dormant--like hibernating bears. The only problem is that in the spring they may suffer Post Tramatic Transplant Syndrome waking up in a place they didn't go to sleep in.
I had that same problem last Friday night.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2013, 6:39 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

This past December:

All photo credit to: WTC Progress @ Facebook / The Port Authority of NY & NJ

December 2nd, 2013:
The Port Authority of NY & NJ

Work at Cortlandt Street station #1 train continues above ground at WTC Transportation Hub.

December 3rd, 2013:

Workers weld and bolt the upper portals at the east side of the WTC Transportation Hub Oculus.

December 5th, 2013:

World-class masonry, continues at the WTC Transportation Hub.

December 12th, 2013:

Workers erect and weld steel ribs under the 1 subway line at WTC Transportation Hub.

December 20th, 2013:

IronWorkers install reinforcement steel for PATH platform B at WTC Transportation Hub.

December 24th, 2013:

Workers at the WTC Transportation Hub Transit Hall install lower level escalators.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 4:11 PM

Yep, this is going to be amazing. Once the entire mall is open I'll have to see if I can spend a full 24 hours down there. Hell, maybe even get a job at one of the Duane Reads that is sure to open up.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
Actually, the trees were grown in special boxes filled with sensors. Transplanting the trees to their permanent home is just installing these boxes in the hole and connecting the water line / power. The trees never leave the soil they were born in. Even with Obamacare, these trees have better medical care than most americans. lol

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 10:49 PM

DSC_9232 by calibratedzeus, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 3:30 PM

^^

Man, excellent shot find.

Loving that the underground portion of the Transit Hub is illuminated. With that and just enough of the exterior portion built out in, one can really get a good feel of the interior volume and scale. The hub is going to be one of the most badass places in the world when it's done. Absolutely cannot wait to see it.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 4:27 PM
World Machine

An aspect of this redevelopment that I've always liked is the reemergence of the street grid. That shot above reveals the grid starting to come alive.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 1:35 PM

Video Link

At 1:27 there is a shot within the Transit Hub Main Hall and the camera pans up to the East Crane. From this view you can really get a sense of how grandiose and remarkable this transit hub will be. I really can't wait until 2016. This is one of the best architectural works in the history of the city. Imagine if the original plan with the articulating roof was kept...

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
At 1:27 there is a shot within the Transit Hub Main Hall and the camera pans up to the East Crane. From this view you can really get a sense of how grandiose and remarkable this transit hub will be. I really can't wait until 2016. This is one of the best architectural works in the history of the city. Imagine if the original plan with the articulating roof was kept...
Thanks for posting!

The shot at 1:27 was breathtaking! It's like a temple to transit. The shot at 1:44 really shows how white and futuristic it will look. (The finished connector hallway kind of does, but it's more marble than the flowing white supports.)

It's obviously going to be used by Mission Impossible, 007, or other action movies as soon as it's done!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 5:56 PM

It looks like they're working on the west side of the memorial finally.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 9:52 AM
New Yorker for life

A look at some of the retail levels. I posted part 1 in the tower 3 thread.

Downloaded the videos...

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

http://tribecacitizen.com/2014/01/16...omment-page-1/

The World Trade Center Retail Floor Plans (Part 2)

1/16/14

Quote:
As you’ll recall from the post about the ground floor and upper floors of the World Trade Center retail, the second and third floors were being called “Upper Level 2″ and “Upper Level 3.”
That’s why I got confused when I saw two other floor plans called “Level 1″ and “Level 2.” Adam and I finally figured out that “Level 1″ meant the first level below ground, and “Level 2″
meant two floors down. CORRECTION: Ignore all that and read James’s comment: Basically, “Level 1″ is the lowest level, and “Level 2″ is above it (one level below grade).

Possibly even better than the floor plans, however, are three rendering videos. The first one is of Level 1, and the second is of Level 2. (CORRECTION: Or vice versa…) I actually get chills
when I watch them—they bring back memories of going down under the Twin Towers to get to the subway station. The third WTC video shows how the newly opened Brookfield Place/PATH
station concourse will look with stores, how it integrates with the PATH station and the Oculus. WATCH THEM!
http://tribecacitizen.com/wp-content...pper-level.mov

http://tribecacitizen.com/wp-content...01/Level-2.mov

http://tribecacitizen.com/wp-content...-WTC-video.mov

Quote:
Here’s how the whole “Level 1″ floor plan looks. I’ll break it up in the next two photos, so it might be easier to digest. The corridor leading to Brookfield Place that I was talking about above
is what you see in the upper left. All of these storefronts appear to be one floor only.

Quote:
The northern half of “Level 1″:

Quote:
And the southern half of “Level 1″:

Quote:
And here’s “Level 2.” [Remember, this is one level below grade.] Subsequent photos will show it broken up.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 1:36 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Off the 3WTC thread, by NYGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
January 19, 2014

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 3:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Here's another...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 2:52 PM

From therealdeal.com.

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/01/...admission-fee/

Quote:
9/11 museum to charge adults $24 admission fee

The National Sept. 11 Memorial Museum will charge adults a $24 admission fee, the museum announced Thursday. Museum officials have previously said that the entrance fee would be between $20 and $25 to help cover the high costs of running the institution.

The museum, which opens this spring, is looking to cover up to 70 percent of its $63 million budget through revenues such as ticket sales and gift shop sales, according to Crain’s. The rest will be solicited through fundraising from both the private sector and the government.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 6:03 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Facebook: WTC Progress

December 30th, 2013...

Ironworkers perform welding tasks on the Oculus.

January 6th, 2014...

Workers install escalators passengers will use on platform A at WTC Transportation Hub.

January 21st, 2014...

10 ton steel arch which is approximately the weight of three average size cars is lifted by WTC Transportation Hub crane.

January 24th, 2014...

Installation of the temporary protective frames will help control the extreme temperatures while work continues at the Transportation Hub.

Last edited by Hypothalamus; Jan 25, 2014 at 3:24 AM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeworm View Post
January 6th, 2014...

Workers install escalators passengers will use on platform A at WTC Transportation Hub.
"Platform A" Is that a PATH platform (will all PATH platforms eventually get that sexy makeover) or is that the Cortlandt St 1 platform we're looking at? Either way, it looks great.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 7:25 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

WTC fence to come down after 13 years
Hiten Samtani January 27, 2014 08:38AM

The fence at the World Trade Center site

Quote:
A fence that has cordoned off the World Trade Center site from the rest of Downtown for the past 13 years is set to come down – at least partially – in 2014. The move will allow visitors to the 9/11 Memorial to move freely between the memorial and the neighborhood, according to Joe Daniels, president of the National September 11 Memorial & Museum.

The exact timeline for pulling down the blue fence, however, is yet to be determined. A spokesperson for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the site, said earlier this month that the fencing would be brought down along the west side of the memorial plaza along West Street, the south end along Liberty Street and a portion of Greenwich Street.

Removing the fence is an important psychological step in healing from the tragedy of the September 11 attacks, Downtown residents and business owners told the Wall Street Journal.

“The design of the memorial has always been about connecting the site back to the city and making this part of the city whole again,” 9/11 memorial designer Michael Arad told the newspaper.

The move to bring the fence down is also likely to boost leasing at the site, Jody Durst, president of the Durst Organization, told the Journal. The Durst Organization developed One World Trade Center in a joint venture with the Port Authority.

“People have felt banished up until now,” Durst said.

@drumz0rz-- I'm not sure-- they weren't specific!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 7:45 PM

Meh - they obviously need to keep the fencing up around WTC2, the transit site and WTC 3, but why can't they fully open up WTC4?

I like to think that they're keeping the fencing up around WTC1 because it's still not fully built out (i.e. the external elevator is still up) but how long is it going to take them to finish exterior work on that building?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture