HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 1:17 AM

So unfortunate some of those old Victorian buildings were not preserved.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
So cool. I always had the sense there isn't much to see that hasn't been posted before, but new additions to the Memory Project definitely aren't that. Keep any you see coming.
Here are some others from the same collection that this forum might like:

Downtown

Residential

Osborn School (formerly at Osborn/Central, replaced by the Punchard Building in the 1960s)

Residential

Historic Phoenix Union High

This house looks like some of the historic homes that remain on Roosevelt, but I can't place it. The street sign appears to say 600 (?) block of N. 1st Ave., which would put it around 1st Ave./Filmore. Historic aerials show it might have been where the ASU dorm is now? Not sure though.

Crazy that we had better grounds at the Capitol 100 years ago than we do now (only half kidding):

Crazy to think the Salt used to flood down to where the Capitol grounds

Haven't tried to pinpoint this one but the label says Thomas/7th

Former Water Users' Association building, used to be near Van Buren/2nd Ave where the YMCA is now (https://www.henrytrost.org/buildings...sers-building/)

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 11:39 PM

Great photos

Did you know that in the 70s - there was serious consideration to leveling Willo? This was the time when there was debate on how the Papago Freeway was to enter into Phoenix. You might be able to find drawings - where the freeway was going to be elevated coming through central Phoenix. Now, Palmcroft and Willo are some of the most desired neighborhoods in Phoenix.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 3:58 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Here are some others from the same collection that this forum might like:

This house looks like some of the historic homes that remain on Roosevelt, but I can't place it. The street sign appears to say 600 (?) block of N. 1st Ave., which would put it around 1st Ave./Filmore. Historic aerials show it might have been where the ASU dorm is now? Not sure though.

By the massing and driveway, this looks like the NEC of 1st Ave and Fillmore where the Westward Ho expansion sits on now, photographed before the Ho itself. I wonder what this was, looks awfully big to be a house.

Casa de Rosas is at the SWC of 7th Ave and Thomas and still there as part of the church complex. Interesting how stately this building looks but disappears into the modern urban jungle.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 4:38 PM
Skyriser

Seems like the satellite photos for Downtown Phoenix were recently updated on Google Maps. Strange that after waiting for years there's two updates within months of each other.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 5:30 PM

More trees and more green

One thing is clear in the historic Phoenix pictures is that they planted more trees and grass! Grass was a common thing in public common areas, but not so today because of all of the climate change liberal nazis who hate people and want us to eat bugs and have no carbon footprint and who think we should just put rocks everywhere and not disturb the environment nor take dominion. We are ruled by people who hate you and me.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX-DUDE-MAN View Post
One thing is clear in the historic Phoenix pictures is that they planted more trees and grass! Grass was a common thing in public common areas, but not so today because of all of the climate change liberal nazis who hate people and want us to eat bugs and have no carbon footprint and who think we should just put rocks everywhere and not disturb the environment nor take dominion. We are ruled by people who hate you and me.
Its not so much that as misplaced priorities "we want to preserve water"

The best way to do this would be too go after big agg and make them use water more efficiently since they make up 70% of the water use.

Taking a shady green space and turning it into rocks and desert preserves virtually no water and makes the area hotter but it signals to others you are preserving water.

If it was up to me I would subsidize lawns (real lawns) and leafy trees for everyone in the city and instead focus water saving efforts on Big Agg. But thats sensible so it wont happen.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Seems like the satellite photos for Downtown Phoenix were recently updated on Google Maps. Strange that after waiting for years there's two updates within months of each other.
Am I missing something it looks the same to me!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

The best way to do this would be too go after big agg and make them use water more efficiently since they make up 70% of the water use.

Taking a shady green space and turning it into rocks and desert preserves virtually no water and makes the area hotter but it signals to others you are preserving water.

If it was up to me I would subsidize lawns (real lawns) and leafy trees for everyone in the city and instead focus water saving efforts on Big Agg. But thats sensible so it wont happen.
Thank you for a real answer to my off the cuff rant. I think you are right and I would vote for your solution/idea here. If they can get a Covid vaccine to every man woman and child in the world, then surely they can bring more water to Phoenix if they wanted. It is all just politics and power control, and not about scarcity.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 9:15 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Maybe we can spread blankets out on the grass while enjoying a picnic of bugs. There is room for compromise and bipartisanship even in times of polarization.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

Yep, neither side seems to actually want to go after big ag companies. It’s either we get no trees or we have to pay for desal.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Thank you for a real answer to my off the cuff rant. I think you are right and I would vote for your solution/idea here. If they can get a Covid vaccine to every man woman and child in the world, then surely they can bring more water to Phoenix if they wanted. It is all just politics and power control, and not about scarcity.
It is absolutely about scarcity. People really don’t understand how complicated the politics around water, water rights, and water infrastructure is. Look how difficult it was for the current state AG to stop just some of the water being used by Saudi AG companies. Remember all the conspiracies about the current administration paying farmers not to grow crops? They made it seem like they wanted to make food prices go up, meanwhile they were just trying to keep the Colorado river from entering more severe shortage declarations. There will never be a politician that can do what needs to be done on regulations on AG companies in this country, the propaganda pretty much writes itself.

It was also the AG community in this state that was pushing so hard from Pinal County to get the Israeli Desal plant built. It would have been the cities having municipal user pay for increased water prices, while their primarily ag dependent county would have been spared the same price increases.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
It is absolutely about scarcity.
Its only complex because nobody is willing to cut the Gordian Knot.

Dont worry I plan to become Sulla in 20 years and Ill take care of it

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 11:53 PM

CityNerd (an urbanist YouTuber) is coming to town and giving a talk on Thursday: https://events.humanitix.com/an-evening-with-citynerd

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest