HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 10:52 PM

Urbanpdx, I'm going to trust James Howard Kunstler before I trust some petroleum-gurgling zealot at the CPI or the American Dream Coalition (dumbest name ever). I think you get the gist of bvpcvm's comment, despite your snide avoidance. Barking up the wrong tree is about right.

I just spent about five bucks for new brake pads for my late-70's Nishiki. How amazing is that?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2006, 12:04 AM
BANNED

I wonder if James Howard Kunstler has any Kool-ade stocked up. Doomsdayers like him have always attracted a certain type of person.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2006, 7:45 AM

Kool-aid versus petroleum... hmmm.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2006, 4:37 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

I will agree that Kunstler's latest tripe is a tad bit overworn. However, the original book or two he wrote - geography of nowhere - is a fair assessment of large swaths of the United States.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2006, 9:28 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanpdx
Of course you are welcome to skip over my postings as usual.
Thanks, I was just waiting for your permission. Consider yourself ignored.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2006, 11:06 PM

I think Geography of Nowhere is a classic.
Haven't read the others.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2006, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Coyotes have become so common in the Portland area, they've been spotted hopping on a light-rail car
i thought that was funny almost as bad as the monkeys on the new delhi subway

Old Posted Sep 4, 2006, 3:08 PM
No longer PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel
I will agree that Kunstler's latest tripe is a tad bit overworn. However, the original book or two he wrote - geography of nowhere - is a fair assessment of large swaths of the United States.
I enjoy Kunstler exactly because he's such a polemicist. I recently read the Long Emergency were he takes the peak oil/suburbia argument to the extreme. However I think he seriously underestimates the human ability to solve problems in a pinch. Even with oil near or at peak I doubt anyone's going to have to abandon the burbs to nature anytime soon if at all. Also I don't get the feeling he's really backed up any of his arguments with actual research, such as his statement that "mega cities" and skyscrapers will be abandon and we'll have to go back to living in small towns. A large building can be made to use much less energy per sq. ft. than a smaller one. I also don't like his distain for all modern architecture, yes there's a lot that doesn't work on a human scale, but there's a lot that does especially as of late. Everything doesn't have to be main street USA to be pleasant and inviting.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2006, 8:51 PM

I haven't read Kunstler, though he's certainly talked about a lot. What's this about abandoning the burbs to nature? Barring some major apocalytic event, population will continue to grow. The burbs will inevitably, or should we say hopefully turn to the use of towers. Unless this occurs, we'll be lucky to have any nature left to abandoned the burbs to, should such a notion have any truth to it.

For a large population, towers are the most efficient use of land space. Using them for housing and other human supporting activities is certainly better than methodically expanding urban growth, thereby further obliterating areas of life supporting nature we have left.

Which gets back to transit, and why non-fuel burning mass transit makes the best sense for high density population centers. Who really knows or is saying honestly about peak oil? Why spend time even wondering? The time to change from a form of transportation power completely unsuited to a dense population is now, not later when all the rich, powerful people start limiting the last reamaining drops of petroleum based energy to themselves.

I'm not so sure about the ability of humans to solve problems. They certainly are adaptable to changing circumstances, at least a few are. Actually humans seem to create far more problems than they solve. I lay that to their predominately competitive rather than co-operative nature.

Sounds contradictory, but I don't really disagree with tworivers below. I'd just say that human survival through civilization seems to cause great problems for the infrastructure most fundamental to us all: the earth. I suppose it's wrong to think it, but this seems to me to be due to the competitive nature of humans in the form of some civilizations such as our own western one.

Not that well read. Have seen tv production of Guns, Germs and steel. Excellent.

Last edited by Drmyeyes; Sep 5, 2006 at 2:19 AM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Actually humans seem to create far more problems than they solve. I lay that to their predominately competitive rather than co-operative nature.
It's just plain wrong to say that we are "predominantly competitive", rather than a highly adaptible species that can display any number of behavioral characteristics depending on the environment (ecological, social, economic, whatever) we are living in. For humans to survive on the African savannah, where we evolved into who and what we are today, we had to cooperate to survive. Most (not all) of the hunter-gatherer peoples that have spread accross the planet as we've migrated out of Africa over the last 65,000 years (proven thanks to DNA science), as modern anthropology has shown, have tended to be highly cooperative and fairly egalitarian. On the other hand, virtually all of the civilizations that have risen and fallen in the past 10 or so thousand years have been viciously competitive, expansionist, and generally built on a foundation of slavery. Thus, you could argue that the problem isn't so much with the species itself, but with the factors that have come into play in the development of civilization. Of course, you could also argue that the problems go deeper than that, and that our brains and hands, our adaptibility, our level self-consciousness and complexity of language, are just not biologically sustainable in the long term (any more than they would be for any other species of animal). And that we cause more problems than we solve. But then people will accuse you of being a misanthrope.

Quote:
Barring some major apocalytic event, population will continue to grow. The burbs will inevitably, or should we say hopefully turn to the use of towers.
There may not be an apocalypse, but there will certainly be some major shifts happening in the next century or so. The only question is whether places like Portland can make the landing softer than it might otherwise have been. This is guaranteed. There simply can not be an endless expansion, either of industrial technology or of human population. Contraction is inevitable eventually, and a natural response to over-expansion and exhaustion of resources. What it will look like, how creatively and happily we are able to adapt, and how events in other parts of the world will affect us, nobody can say. I don't think it needs to be a doomsday scenario, there are plenty of reasons for hope as well.

Has anyone here read "Guns, Germs, and Steel" or "Collapse" by Jared Diamond? "Against The Grain" by Richard Manning? Anything By Paul Shepard? The new book by Michael Pollen, "The Omnivore's Dilemma"?

Last edited by tworivers; Sep 5, 2006 at 6:24 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 12:24 AM

Has anyone noticed that on the Streetcar site, it now says that construction of the Lowell extension will be done next Spring, with the line opening summer '07? That seems remarkably fast. With the bubble in the housing market losing air as it is, I think the early opening of the streetcar down there may be especially important in terms of maintaining the construction schedule in South Waterfront.

Last edited by tworivers; Sep 5, 2006 at 6:11 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 1:58 PM

Happy 20th birthday, MAX!

The Portland Tribune 15.1 hours ago

Over the years, MAX light rail has helped define an image and the reality of the Portland region – both among local residents and to outside observers.

This week, as the region celebrates the 20th anniversary of the opening of light rail, it’s appropriate to reflect on where we’ve come from, where we’re headed and what we must yet address as it relates to how we move about.

The first MAX line – a 15-mile segment from Portland to Gresham – opened on Sept. 6, 1986. Light-rail lines now operate on the west side to Hillsboro, to Portland International Airport and along North Interstate Avenue. The region is actively making plans to add light rail along Interstate 205 to Clackamas Town Center and on the downtown transit mall.

Light rail has contributed to many features of the region:

• For the most part, employee and shopper access to downtown has been enhanced by light rail and mass-transit bus service – at a time when many other cities have seen their downtowns deteriorate.

• Light rail has prompted numerous pockets of dense residential and commercial development and redevelopment.

• The region’s air quality has improved, in part because of its above-average utilization of mass transit compared with other major U.S. cities.

Yet light rail has not been an unqualified success. Community-based mass transit is still a crying need in many suburbs.

Newer projects learned from early ones
East-side MAX hasn’t always lived up to its initial promise. Yes, we can see the evidence of an estimated $4.7 billion investment in development in some east-side MAX neighborhoods, such as the Lloyd District or at Gresham Station. But take a ride on the Blue Line, and we also see many examples of substandard housing, poorly constructed apartment buildings and shuttered stores between Interstate 205 and west Gresham. Residents of these neighborhoods rightfully may question whether light rail has benefited their communities.

Such lessons haven’t been lost on TriMet and Metro’s planners. As MAX expanded to Washington County, North Portland and the airport, light rail was built with greater attention to aesthetics. And nearby development was planned in conjunction with transit, not as an afterthought.

We strongly believe that the emphasis on light rail has in part obscured and distracted the region from better addressing a critical need to invest in improved and expanded highways, bridges and local streets.

Planning must consider whole community
Looking forward, the Portland region must change this and struggle with several questions. These include how to acquire increasingly limited state and federal transportation dollars. It must decide whether the I-205 light-rail extension is the end of the line for now, or if and when it can build light rail to Milwaukie and to Tigard. The region also must learn how to better balance dense, transit-oriented development and the wishes of citizens who prefer a house, a yard and a two-car garage. And we must learn how to not just talk about problems, but more quickly implement solutions.

The stakes grow ever larger. The pressure of 1 million new residents coming to the region is just starting to be realized. The region finally understands that congestion comes at an ever-increasing cost to people and the economy. And delays in decision-making only exacerbate things.

As the region celebrates light rail’s 20th birthday this week, it must renew and make more immediate its commitment to deal with these and many other remaining issues.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 3:23 PM

the rendering is small but it shows the rehabbed...gulp...Macy's and the MAX lines with the new train

Light rail, heavy impact
by Kennedy Smith
09/05/2006

In 2003, when Esmeralda Caldera first heard about construction of the MAX light-rail yellow line in North Portland, she was nervous about how the project would affect her business, Exodus Spa, on Interstate Avenue, south of Skidmore Street.

To mitigate any customer slowdown at her eight-year-old salon, Caldera said she "signed up for everything": Portland Development Commission grants, help from a small business loan provider, student assistance from the University of Portland and TriMet business assistance programs.

"I was adopted by the university," she said. "Six kids that were earning their master's in business helped me to get my business plan started by doing a spot analysis. Then I got (a loan) through PDC, and they helped with a storefront improvement matching grant."

With the $20,000 grant from PDC and a $25,000 loan from financial institution Cascadia Revolving Fund, Exodus was able to weather the construction and even gain new business from it. The spa gets about seven new customers a week because it's on the MAX line, Caldera said.

Teaming up again

Now, TriMet, the PDC and Portland State University are hoping to hear the same kinds of success stories with their small business support program for downtown's transit mall revitalization.

The program is modeled after the Interstate MAX support project, said Jennifer Nolfi of the Development Commission.

During construction of the Interstate MAX line, TriMet, PDC and the University of Portland awarded 15 loans to businesses. The transit mall program, Nolfi said, will be much larger in scale.

There are about 300 businesses along the transit mall, which stretches along Fifth and Sixth avenues from Union Station at the mall's north end to the Portland State campus at its south. Businesses eligible for assistance must be within a half-block east of Fifth or west of Sixth, or on cross-streets between the two avenues.

The challenge is that "all businesses are going to be impacted, but there are limited resources," Nolfi said. "We need to identify additional funds for the greater downtown area, collect that data and begin the process perhaps by next year."

The business outreach program will be run by Portland State, with financial support from TriMet and the PDC.

The Development Commission will provide tax increment funds to TriMet for its construction project, and TriMet will divert some of its construction money to the loan program. PSU will ultimately decide which affected businesses are best suited for assistance, said Mary Fetsch of TriMet.

"TIF funds are restricted on how we can use them," Nolfi said. "We made an agreement to make street improvements that (TriMet) was going to pay for in order to make funds available for loans. It's a legal, transparent way to make funding available."

The program, Nolfi said, will be two-pronged.

First, Portland State will identify which businesses are least likely to survive construction along the transit mall and then provide technical business assistance, "one-on-one help developing a business strategy, like deciding whether the business should have less inventory or make staffing changes," Nolfi said.

Second, a TriMet program will offer businesses low-interest loans.

"We're anticipating a 30 percent decrease in revenues (for impacted transit mall companies), so what we need to do is to determine a way to help mitigate that through small loans with low interest rates and favorable terms, as well as looking at options for marketing, looking at personnel expenses," said Gary Brown, director of PSU's business outreach program.

Same program, different businesses

Another, perhaps more open-ended, dilemma is how to model the program after the Interstate MAX plan while keeping in mind that businesses downtown are vastly different from those on Interstate.

"It's a different business community," said Ann Becklund of TriMet. "Typically (downtown) we have more established businesses that are larger, have been there longer, and are more sophisticated in terms of business and clientele. It requires different tools than we (used) on Interstate."

After canvassing the area and performing preliminary outreach, Becklund said, TriMet determined businesses downtown are most worried about marketing strategies.

Those concerns will be addressed, she said, through a TriMet campaign publicizing all of downtown. Plus, staff and student teams from PSU will provide personal assistance to individual businesses, she said.

Success on Interstate

On Interstate, Exodus owner Caldera was aided by her business' location within an urban renewal district. It's the same case for businesses along the transit mall, which extends through the South Park Blocks, Downtown Waterfront and River District URAs. The PDC may have to juggle funds from those URAs to contribute to the loan program, according to Nolfi.

"Being on Interstate, I had more grace from the city as far as permitting," she said. "The inspectors were kind and gracious and patient with me. I had a different vision - I wanted to revitalize this piece of land, and it was going to cost $700,000, and that wasn't feasible. They helped me see I needed to be more realistic."

Said TriMet's Fetsch: "We learned some valuable lessons from Interstate. We'll try and minimize the impact on businesses, by doing construction on three- to four-block segments for up to eight weeks."

Like those of the Interstate project, the transit mall's sidewalks will remain open, and in some areas crews will work double shifts to speed construction.

The transit mall bus relocation is slated to begin in January 2007 and finish by 2009.
http://www.djc-or.com/viewStory.cfm?...27838&userID=1

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 3:30 PM

happy birthday max! and those trains in the rendering look sweet!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 5:29 PM

I wonder how many other renderings like that Tri-met has floating around.

Last edited by tworivers; Sep 5, 2006 at 6:12 PM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2006, 12:20 AM

Notice the huge loss of trees. THe city, trimet and other government agencies don't seem to understand what a value large mature trees are for Downtown. I can't tell you the complements I get from travelers about the tree cover. These shots look so US city generic

Old Posted Sep 6, 2006, 7:41 AM

Re; to the absence of trees...of course it's just an idealistic rendering, but also notice what appears to be the absence of the vintage comfort station vestibules. Wonder what will become of them. Even in their current setting, despite their interesting design, their practical use as originally inended is archaic.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2006, 3:59 PM
BANNED

If we change our ideas of what constiutes "good design" every 20 years of so, should we build with a 20 yr designed lifespan? I remember when the city invested in the bus mall. I don't think anyone expected that those very expensive shelters would be scrapped in 2006.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2006, 4:53 PM

Blame the Business community. They are the ones pushing for increased auto traffic, tree removal and the removel of the very unique shelters. If this "redesign" bombs its completely on the PBA and the other Downtown Business owners who didn't understand the values of Portlanders.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2006, 7:50 PM

^^^ So true, cab.

I'm just hoping that they put bike sharrows on the "multi-modal" auto lane.

And they should at least re-use the old shelters elsewhere in town.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure