HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 8:47 PM

Looks like Korean is boosting YVR-ICN next summer up to 11x PW.

Still tons of time to change between now and then but that's up 1 frequency from this summer which I believe is 10x.

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/240522-kens25yvr

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 5:52 PM

Per aeroroutes

Quote:
Lufthansa once again converts Munich – Vancouver route to year-round service, scheduled 3 weekly between 27OCT24 and 29MAR25
https://twitter.com/aeroroutes/statu...64370085826652

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 8:52 PM

Finally! That's great news.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakafi_81 View Post
Munich year-round!! Das is wunderbar!!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 6:27 PM

Great to see LH converting MUC to year round, I didn't realize it was ever year round before, I thought was always summer seasonal (I am really getting rusty I guess, I used to have a sharper memory with past service levels, or at least seasonality). I posted last week about AF/KL, and how this winter AF will be daily 777, and KL is only 4x weekly A330. First time I can remember AF outpacing KL. And now LH is 10x weekly overall (7x to FRA and 3x to MUC). I think LH has always been bigger, but not by a ton. Before MUC, it was basically daily FRA, so not a big difference with KL's daily to AMS. I don't know if FRA ever went sub-daily in winter or not, I think AMS did sometimes, but I seem to recall sometimes it staying daily in winter? Regardless, LH and AF are at least adding something, KL is retreating a bit. But this could be because of the Amsterdam restrictions but I don't think so?

Also good to see CX increase to double daily in December. Along with AC's 10x weekly, it means there's plenty of days with 4x frequency to Hong Kong, nice to see again. CX drops back down in the shoulder months (Jan, Feb, Mar) but looks like ups to 12x weekly in mid April, at least so far. Maybe by next summer they will be fully double daily again.

I really hope the rumours of Vietnam are more than just wishful thinking. I'm not sure if it's just because of that article that mentioned possible destinations a few weeks ago (Air Canada Sets Sights On 12 More Long-Haul Destinations) and it's just making the rounds, or if there's something more substantiated. The prospective additions to their destinations served is pretty ambitious, and they have a lot of African destinations on there (Accra, Dakar, Lagos) so Africa is obviously big on their radar. But who knows which of their 12 possible new routes are closest to happening. I mean, Rouge previously served Berlin, Marseille, and Porto, so there's something there. And AC served MEL from YVR for one or two years I think? Not super long, SYD and BNE have always been more important. But just because they were previously served or were once top priority doesn't necessarily mean anything. The economics and demand from some of these developing countries/cities (ie. Nigeria, Vietnam, Turkey) could mean that certain new untested destinations are a better payoff than previously served spots (AC added new spots DXB, BKK, and SIN from YVR rather than bringing back NGO, MEL, or CDG for example). It's all guesswork and theory at this point until we get more clues or a formal announcement.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 7:17 PM

I actually didn't realize AC dropped BER altogether, I thought they were served non-stop year round? But apparently not, obviously I haven't followed closely. But I thought this route was fairly important, I know it's hard with Germany because they already have two giant hubs with lots of service to YYZ, so BER would be destination #3. But I would've thought Germany is large enough in two way travel with Canada to justify Berlin as well. I have no idea the demographics that support it though, maybe it is more a destination for the artsy young travellers, and Bohemian hipster kinds, and doesn't have the business or leisure demand that FRA or MUC have? In some ways, if you lumped Berlin in with "Eastern Europe" (it was very much in the eastern zone geographically, despite the city itself being split), then you can see there are struggles for travel to Eastern Europe.

Other than LOT from Poland (which seems relatively stable and has been a long term *Alliance partner), there is fairly limited service to Eastern Europe. I believe Toronto and/or Montreal had service to Prague, Bucharest, Budapest, and Kiev at one point (some obvious cancellations of course). But just shows how the market is so far behind Western Europe, it's shocking when you actually think about it. And it's not a Canada specific thing, it's those countries. Only two Eastern European/Balkan countries even has a long haul carrier (LOT from Poland and Air Serbia). Czech Rep., Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Albania, N. Macedonia, Bulgaria, Romania, Moldova AND Greece all lack their own transcontinental airline ie. no heavies in their fleet. That's absolutely bizarre to me, and wasn't always the case. At least some of those countries' airlines flew long haul at one point (Czech Airlines, Tarom from Romania, Malev from Budapest, Olympic from Greece are the ones I can remember specifically). But now the best scenario is just to still be in business, with only have short haul limited fleets of narrow bodies, if they're lucky! Many airlines just folded entirely, and now the dominant carrier at many airports is Ryanair or some crap, not the same as a flag carrier off to New York in a 747. Just so weird to actually look at and absorb it, the real underperformance of Eastern Europe, even all these years later. The fact that even a country like Greece, with all of it's famous sites, history, massive tourism, and cultural awareness across the globe, doesn't have its own long haul carrier anymore?! Something very concerning about that IMO, Greece is too important to not sustain its own foreign carrier (I think all countries of a certain importance should have at least one main overseas carrier, it isn't too much to ask considering at one point many of these countries had an overseas carrier. Greece isn't even part of Eastern Europe at all, but it's geographically connected to the Slavic world, so has some similarities (airline failure being a commonality lol). Just overall a bizarre observation, never sat down and put it in writing to see just how bad the aviation sector is there. It's actually substantially worse than even South and SE Asian countries (most SE Asian and South Asian countries have airlines with long haul fleets, even Ariana Afghanistan lol).

To be honest, even Italy deserves an honourable mention and would earn observer status in the Eastern Europe family of airline chaos. They basically were in the same boat as most of these countries, but they were not the same, Italy is a much bigger deal economically, population, cultural importance, tourism, etc. Yet their aviation sector is more like Hungary than it is like France lol. They luckily had a relaunch of a national carrier (ITA Airways, descended from Alitalia), but it was weak from the start financially. Within only a few months of operation, the big Euro hawks came circling (LH and AF/KL). After some back and forth, LH emerged the victor and ITA will become a daughter in the LH family (just like Austrian, Brussels Airlines, SWISS, Discover, and Eurowings).

I don't know why, but for some reason it feels weird that they will be part of LH... It will be the trouble child in the family I suspect, always making a mess and not behaving like the other kids (ie. the other airlines). I am not taking a side here, just stating my observation, but all of LH's other acquisitions are somewhat part of the German realm (German language/culture is dominant, shared economic strength, basically all on strong footing economically and stature). Not to diss Belgian, Swiss, or Austrian culture or to imply it's all just German, but they are undeniably linked in much stronger ways. There's only one tiny province in North Italy that is German speaking, and it's so different from the rest of Italy in a lot of ways, much more similar to Austria (where the rest of the province of Tyrol is located). There's even seccessionist movements, but not for independence, but to actually join Austria. And it actually has some kind of autonomous status within Italy. So basically a small part of the country and not enough to make Italy overall a Germanic realm in any sense of the word. It will be interesting if ITA rises and becomes like its adopted sisters, or like it's birth mom Alitalia lol! The history nerd in me wonders if Germany just likes dominating Italy whenever it can, WWII ideas transforming to current times. According to Wikipedia, not only did LH buyout small Italian carrier Air Dolomiti in 1999, but they operated a division called Lufthansa Italia at one point (pathetically bad operation, only lasted from Feb. 2 2009 to October 29 2011, not even 3 years). So they always seemed interested in Italy, even though the economics and track history of carriers screamed risky. If you ask me, they should have let AF/KL take it on, risks and all. Almost like it's revenge for AF/KL taking SAS from *Alliance. Scandinavia and Germany are very connected in many ways, LH made way more sense here. I think they should make a new deal that LH gives ITA to AF/KL, and then SAS goes to LH lol, makes way more sense.

I feel weird talking about carving up Europe and exposing some of these details, please nobody take this the wrong way. I'm definitely not implying some Germanic superiority at all, just making these observations. I'm no expert on European relations, so not sure what's at play between smaller Eastern countries and the big dogs, we tend to think of France/UK or UK/Germany rivalries, but they are all in similar leagues. Adding somewhere like Bulgaria into the mix, it's bizarre because they are in a different league (per capita of course, smaller countries with a high GDP per capita are seen as more important and connected). Bulgaria is so much lower than everyone else in terms of per capita GDP and other measures. And shockingly Greece is 2nd poorest, that blew my mind, I thought for sure it'd at least be above Romania! Even if Greece doesn't have a national long haul carrier of its own, Athens is decently connected to many global cities, and has a notable tourist economy at least. Ranking below Romania?! Shame, they can do better.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
I actually didn't realize AC dropped BER altogether, I thought they were served non-stop year round? But apparently not, obviously I haven't followed closely. But I thought this route was fairly important, I know it's hard with Germany because they already have two giant hubs with lots of service to YYZ, so BER would be destination #3. But I would've thought Germany is large enough in two way travel with Canada to justify Berlin as well. I have no idea the demographics that support it though, maybe it is more a destination for the artsy young travellers, and Bohemian hipster kinds, and doesn't have the business or leisure demand that FRA or MUC have?
Flying to/from Berlin from Vancouver on Star Alliance was crazy expensive when I researched it last month. Business class back from Berlin in September was something like $8500-$9000 (approx) ONE way. I was blown away.

I'll be awaiting a major seat sale before going to Berlin, unfortunately.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Flying to/from Berlin from Vancouver on Star Alliance was crazy expensive when I researched it last month. Business class back from Berlin in September was something like $8500-$9000 (approx) ONE way. I was blown away.

I'll be awaiting a major seat sale before going to Berlin, unfortunately.
That's crazy expensive. I paid $3k for YVR-AMS return on BA in Business early September. Got a match to my AC status and this will allow me to keep BA Gold for a year.

Fiji Airwways just officially joined One World.. will be great to have another OW carrier at YVR.

Ron.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 6:36 PM

Oktoberfest starts in September. (And yes, Berlin has an Oktoberfest event as well)

IFA Berlin is in September. (Consumer electronics trade show, the biggest in Europe)

Not to mention, BER has very few non stop flight options to North America.

All of these factors will drive up demand, and therefore prices, especially in September, and even on 1 stop options.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
Got a match to my AC status
Hi Newf. What did you mean by that?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Hi Newf. What did you mean by that?
I think he meant this.

https://princeoftravel.com/deals/bri...-status-match/

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 7:02 AM

AIR CANADA MAY 2025 VANCOUVER – OSAKA SERVICE INCREASES

Air Canada in May 2025 plans to increase service on Vancouver – Osaka Kansai route during off-peak season. The seasonal service in Northern summer 2025 season commences on 02MAY25, with 4 weekly flights scheduled for the month of May, with 787-9 Dreamliner.

This route in May 2024 and first half of June is scheduled 3 times weekly.

AC023 YVR1325 – 1620+1KIX 789 x247
AC024 KIX1800 – 1125YVR 789 x135

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/240605-acmay25kix

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Northlands Enabling Works

The Vancouver Airport Authority is preparing for future development of the Northlands properties located at the Vancouver International Airport in Richmond, B.C. The project will involve relocating approximately 2.5km of the primary security fence on the north side of the airfield. In addition to relocating security fence the project will include construction of a new 2.5 km gravel access road within the airfield parallel to the new fence alignment, excavation of a new drainage ditch and removing an existing building. The project may include additional modifications to underground utilities and drainage in the project area. The project will convert approximately 270,000 square meters of the airfield land to groundside land. This work is in response to a recent update to the Vancouver International Airport Land Use Plan which converted some of the north airfield land from Airfield Use to Airside/Groundside Commercial Use.
https://iaac-aeic.gc.ca/050/evaluati...projDocs=88486

Quote:
McArthurGlen Designer Outlet Expansion Phase 3

Templeton DOC Limited Partnership is proposing to expand the McArthurGlen Designer Outlet Vancouver Airport located at the Vancouver International Airport in Richmond, B.C. The expansion consists of approximately 6,130 square meters of new commercial retail buildings. Construction activities for the Phase 3 project will include some excavation of existing gravel base material, construction of new foundations, utilities and building structures. The operation of the expanded facility will be commercial retail, the same as the existing facility. This expansion was included in the original planning of the McArthurGlen Designer Outlet and the ground preparation for this Phase 3 expansion was completed in 2013 during the initial Phase 1 development of the site.
https://iaac-aeic.gc.ca/050/evaluations/proj/88548

Quote:
Vancouver Designer Outlet: Phase III – a significant 65,000 sq ft (6,000 sqm) expansion is currently in planning, introducing 27 new luxury and premium stores. This phase is set to open in Summer 2025.
https://www.mcarthurglen.com/en/pres...-year-to-date/

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 4:14 PM
life in the present

I guess they can move the perimeter fence northwards as soon as the old Ferguson Road is decommissioned.

Wonder what's planned for the parkade expansion?... looks 90% complete and with existing passenger traffic levels approaching 2019, the tiny existing parkade is likely near capacity. Also what's up with the formerly titled 'central utilities building'? Remember reading last year some proposals for repurposing it for commercial or hotel.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
I guess they can move the perimeter fence northwards as soon as the old Ferguson Road is decommissioned.
The fence is being moved south, changing the land from air side to ground side, allowing for commercial development.

Image from YVR https://www.yvr.ca/en/about-yvr/who-...37-master-plan

Last edited by madog222; Jun 9, 2024 at 5:33 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 8:06 PM

Looks like Virgin Atlantic is starting service to YYZ. Given that they used to serve YVR, and our YVR-London service is a fraction of what it used to be, I wouldn't be shocked if YVR was on their radar.

I wouldn't mind seeing their birds back here, even if it's to a place we already have service to.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 8:50 PM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Looks like Virgin Atlantic is starting service to YYZ. Given that they used to serve YVR, and our YVR-London service is a fraction of what it used to be, I wouldn't be shocked if YVR was on their radar.

I wouldn't mind seeing their birds back here, even if it's to a place we already have service to.
I recall the LHR-YVR service back in the early 2000s using an A340-300, didn't last long, maybe a year tops. The YYZ service was a 747 if I recall correctly but also wasn't around very long.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 10:36 PM

Well with AC more or less abandoning anything but bare bones european flying out of YVR I'd think there's more room for VS this time around than last.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Well with AC more or less abandoning anything but bare bones european flying out of YVR I'd think there's more room for VS this time around than last.
I'm struggling what AC's overall strategy these days. Is it a lack of metal and/or qualified pilots? Their downscaling in Western Canada is not helpful. I can only imagine what their shareholders must think these days, with how the stock has underperformed the last several quarters.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 11:30 PM

Well I think the frame and pilot shortage are real, can't fault them on that one. Their market performance on the other hand....

What I certainly don't understand is why then insist on cramming as many flights as they can into two capacity constrained airports, leading to major operation meltdowns and terrible press, all while more or less completely ignoring the second biggest airport in the country.

I get the impression Rousseau has never been west of Mississauga.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure