HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 11:27 PM
Project manger

If that 12-14 floor condo on Landsdown gets off the ground it will truly change the look of the city.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 1:16 AM

Ya, I wonder what's going on with that one. Still shows 4 separate lots on CityMap. Development Permit still shows that it's open so maybe they went back for a redesign since that last submission was pretty bad.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 4:31 PM

Council just voted on issuing a liquor license for a scotch bar and distillery (Stills House) in the new Hive building which is pretty much complete. Got these shots just before the snow came. Will be taking up the corner unit with a patio under the awning.

Mexican restaurant is apparently going on this corner.

Dental office is on the 5th Ave side

Thought they did a good job lighting the building up. Lots of up lighting on the sidewalk and crown. Urban Systems new head office takes up the top 2 floors and have their signage on full display.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 8:33 PM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO View Post
I tell you, another sunny day with highs of +22 to +25 in Kamloops for today....
This keeps up and I'm going to start planting palm trees.
Well that weather sure left quickly!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 8:35 PM
BANNED

Glad to see this thread made a sticky. I really enjoy the Kamloops updates!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 1:18 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

HIVE turned out nice. thx for the photos

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 5:18 AM

Hope the next phase of the Hive moves forward shortly…

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 9:50 PM
Project manger

Yeah ... the weather went to crap pretty quick didnt it?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 10:29 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO View Post
If that 12-14 floor condo on Landsdown gets off the ground it will truly change the look of the city.
got a link for that one?

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 12:57 AM

Here's the report to council for that one. https://geoprodsvr.kamloops.ca/mynei...l%20Report.pdf

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 9:11 PM
Project manger

Eleven-storey apartment building to rise in downtown Kamloops

An 11-storey apartment building — the first residential tower to rise downtown in two decades — has been given the green light by city council.

Council has approved a development permit for Kesar Properties to build a 115-unit apartment building, with commercial space on the ground floor, overtop a parking lot behind the Thompson Hotel in the 600-block of Lansdowne Street.

Across from the transit exchange, the building will front the one-way Lansdowne Street, with access to a two-level underground parkade from that street. The apartment meets the required 109 parking space requirement — 92 underground and 17 surface spaces accessible from the alley.

The project includes landscaping and improvements to the boulevard on the south side of Lansdowne Street, as well as multiple patios, and consists of a mix of 86 one-bedroom, 28 two-bedroom and one three-bedroom units.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 9:12 PM
Project manger

Biggest issue is that it was approved over a year ago. Speaking with the people who are behind the project.... I dont think it will ever get off the ground.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 6:53 PM

I could have seen it being just a zoning exercise. I was never eager to see that one rise anyways, other than for much needed rental units.

The Colours building on the north shore has been finished for a year now, but they just now finished the food hall and bakery that take up the commercial units. For anyone that doesn't know Kamloops, this was built in arguably the worst block in the city. I was in the food hall a couple weeks ago and snapped these pictures because I couldn't believe the difference this building has made to the area. So many good restaurants are popping up around here now. Cool to see how development is one way to change a city.

Before

b

Now - same telephone pole

Before

Now - same sidewalk

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 7:13 PM
Project manger

Nice before and after shots!
I've been to the food hall and loved the experience that me and the wife had while there.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 2:51 AM

Why does every building in kamloops have that cold, bleak grey facade at street level. Kamloops seriously needs to hire a new architect

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 11:10 PM

Right! Same firm does everything in town and they're terrible. Wish there was a way to tag BlueGreen Architecture on here so they're made aware of how bad their product is. They have 1 style and it sucks!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 5:38 AM

So it looks like this year the province has been doing a transportation study for Kamloops, primarily on the #1 corridor between Copperhead Drive to Lafarge Road and the #5 up to Haltson Ave.

I really hope some people on here took part in that.

I really really want to see the #1 between the #5 junction and Kokanee way upgraded to full freeway standards. It’s already four lanes, largely divided, and uses access roads for most of that stretch, so it shouldn’t be that large of a jump to do so.

I know there is no hope in hell for Kelowna getting proper roads, but Kamloops does seem to have a softer spot with the province for such investments…

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 6:57 PM

I filled that out awhile ago.

I think the only reason Kamloops would see any cash from the NDP is solely from necessity of being such a large economic driver for the province. If there wasn't so much trade through the City the NDP wouldn't be entertainer a dime our way.

Totally agree on making it a full freeway through Valleyview East. This has been the plan since the existing freeway was built. They planned to reroute around valleyview on the bench land and connect back up in Dallas.

I think this is outdated and a waste of money. Would be way better seeing them just remove the lights and replace with 3-4 overpasses along the same route. No sense in destroying grasslands, filling in natural drainage ravens and building on unstable soils.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 11:53 PM
Project manger

I filled it out and commented that they need to be building multiple underpasses along the highway in Valley View . They have a way to eliminate all the lights in Valley View if they put in the underpasses. It is possible and it would make things work for the future. But.... THE NDP cant see 2 years down the road or anything beyond Langley

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 6:40 AM

Definitely agree that simply upgrading the existing highway 1 corridor is highly preferable over an entirely new build.

Seriously, it really wouldn’t take much. Extend the existing frontage roads in a few areas, and replace the 6 or 7 traffic lights with 2 or 3 diamond interchanges. Boom, done. The #1/5 interchange could be upgraded as well, but that would almost be a separate project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia