HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Delts, yeah Yellowstone is great one for Utah. Perhaps more impressive than Kevin Costner, it's written and directed by Taylor Sherriden, who just did Wind River in Utah a little over a year ago, and who was recently nominated for an Oscar for writing Sicario. I was offered the Script Coordinator position on it, and it hurt like hell to have to decline, because I'll be working on a project in Pittsburgh and then in Croatia during the production. I really wanted to be a part of it!

There definitely seems to be real momentum in the film industry here right now. Yellowstone will be taking over the Park City Film studios as their production offices and base camp for the production. I really expected the PC Film Studios would sit empty most of the time, but I'm happy to be proven wrong about that.

When I was working for HBO last year, Mosaic and Westworld were both shooting here, as well as Blood and Oil, and another indie feature, on top of the usual day-to-day commercials and industrials that are always in production. I have an office at Redman Movies, which is the largest grip and electric supplier here in Utah, and their warehouse was pretty much bare. For those few weeks, Utah's film industry infrustructure and crew was maxed out. I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen again this year when Westworld is back.

Great to hear Scott, especially about Park City Studios. Sorry you had to turn Yellowstone down, but that's always a good sign when your so busy you have to turn business away.

Last edited by delts145; Jul 18, 2017 at 9:00 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 5:31 PM
Transit Advocate

Since filming has been a topic here wondering what has been being filmed in the Liberty Wells 400 East 1800 South area. Theyve been filming with Redman for over a month, never asked anyone what it is being filmed. Anyone know?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 11:21 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brankrom View Post
Since filming has been a topic here wondering what has been being filmed in the Liberty Wells 400 East 1800 South area. Theyve been filming with Redman for over a month, never asked anyone what it is being filmed. Anyone know?
That's a new series called "Relationship Status." It's relatively low budget, under 5 million. My business partner has been working as their production coordinator. They'll be shooting around town through late September. They're also an out-of-town production company who picked Utah primarily because of the incentive program through the Utah Film Commission and the State board of Economics, as well as the predictable weather.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 12:49 AM

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 3:30 AM

Really nice website Isaac. Keep the info coming!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 2:19 PM
They all float down here

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 3:43 PM

Last Sunday evening I took a drive around downtown, then through Sugarhouse on my way home. The west side of downtown definitely has a lot of construction going on, with 4th West/Hardware village, an apartment building just across the tracks from it, the building on the northwest corner of 3rd west and north temple, The building on 3rd west and Pierpont, the hotel and apartment building on 2nd south and between 2nd and 3rd west, etc. However, there really weren't many people out and about on the streets, except homeless/druggies/panhandlers. I guess my feeling was, well, with all this construction going on, much of it residential, I'm sure foot traffic and vibrancy will increase soon. But then I think back 12+ years, and how we've been saying the same thing the whole time; "with Westgate lofts, Broadway park, etc, there will be more residents and vibrancy in the area..." Obviously, things are moving in a positive direction, but it still feels like an inflection point hasn't been hit yet; and I'll go ahead and punch this horse, though it's covered in flies and I can't detect a heartbeat, I do think it has a lot to do with the drug/panhandling problems. My wife and I rarely go downtown, mostly because she feels uncomfortable there. Sure, there are lots of positive happy people around, but they feel outnumbered by the negative.
After checking out downtown I drove through Sugarhouse, and there were lots of people out walking, biking, and dining outside. It felt much more vibrant, active, and happy, hence that's where my wife and I tend to go. Of course, there is some of the negative element there, but it's proportionally much less than downtown, so the good sort of overwhelms the bad and it isn't scary or uncomfortable. I don't know what the proportion needs to be for downtown to turn a corner, but I feel it hasn't been reached yet.
People often talk about it, and I agree there is an absolute density level that needs to be reached for a city to have enough people around to feel vibrant, and downtown probably isn't at that level yet either, but I also feel like the proportion I've been talking about is important too. And yes, I'm over simplifying; there aren't just two kinds of people downtown, but when I walk a block and pass three people, two of which ask me for money and one is sitting in the bushes with a needle, it's hard for me to have a positive experience and want to come back.
For the record, I used to go downtown quite a bit when I was single, as the negative elements didn't bother me so much, but I'm a guy and feel fairly confident most places I go. Also, the problems really do seem worse now than they did ten years ago, but maybe that's just my perception.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 7:58 PM

Once the homeless shelter moves, downtown should improve.

Of course, the situation as a whole will not improve unless we actually have policies in place to prevent this homeless situation from getting worse, and I don't have much confidence in that.

And anyway, the west side of downtown does have less foot traffic for that reason, but I work downtown and central and east-side downtown seem to be doing alright in the vibrancy department.

West-side downtown seems to have more focus on the nightlife - there's more bars and clubs on that side. Most of the day traffic is going to concentrate on the eastern half, around Temple Square/City Creek and all the restaurants and what not in that area.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 2:13 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Haha... Drones on 500 West.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/5523475-1...r-says-efforts

The Road Home is also no longer accepting new families.

I think we should have a separate thread titled “Salt Lake Homless Crisis”

Last edited by ajiuO; Jul 20, 2017 at 2:33 AM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 3:13 AM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
Last Sunday evening I took a drive around downtown, then through Sugarhouse on my way home. The west side of downtown definitely has a lot of construction going on, with 4th West/Hardware village, an apartment building just across the tracks from it, the building on the northwest corner of 3rd west and north temple, The building on 3rd west and Pierpont, the hotel and apartment building on 2nd south and between 2nd and 3rd west, etc. However, there really weren't many people out and about on the streets, except homeless/druggies/panhandlers. I guess my feeling was, well, with all this construction going on, much of it residential, I'm sure foot traffic and vibrancy will increase soon. But then I think back 12+ years, and how we've been saying the same thing the whole time; "with Westgate lofts, Broadway park, etc, there will be more residents and vibrancy in the area..." Obviously, things are moving in a positive direction, but it still feels like an inflection point hasn't been hit yet; and I'll go ahead and punch this horse, though it's covered in flies and I can't detect a heartbeat, I do think it has a lot to do with the drug/panhandling problems. My wife and I rarely go downtown, mostly because she feels uncomfortable there. Sure, there are lots of positive happy people around, but they feel outnumbered by the negative.
After checking out downtown I drove through Sugarhouse, and there were lots of people out walking, biking, and dining outside. It felt much more vibrant, active, and happy, hence that's where my wife and I tend to go. Of course, there is some of the negative element there, but it's proportionally much less than downtown, so the good sort of overwhelms the bad and it isn't scary or uncomfortable. I don't know what the proportion needs to be for downtown to turn a corner, but I feel it hasn't been reached yet.
People often talk about it, and I agree there is an absolute density level that needs to be reached for a city to have enough people around to feel vibrant, and downtown probably isn't at that level yet either, but I also feel like the proportion I've been talking about is important too. And yes, I'm over simplifying; there aren't just two kinds of people downtown, but when I walk a block and pass three people, two of which ask me for money and one is sitting in the bushes with a needle, it's hard for me to have a positive experience and want to come back.
For the record, I used to go downtown quite a bit when I was single, as the negative elements didn't bother me so much, but I'm a guy and feel fairly confident most places I go. Also, the problems really do seem worse now than they did ten years ago, but maybe that's just my perception.
So you walked around "downtown", which sounds a lot like North Temple and 300-600 west - which is basically a giant construction zone, on a hot July weekday, declared it dead and went and loved the "vibrancy" of Sugarhouse? You know downtown is a very big place with lots of neighborhoods. Hint: avoid Rio Grande next time and don't be afraid. We won't bite you.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 4:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
So you walked around "downtown", which sounds a lot like North Temple and 300-600 west - which is basically a giant construction zone, on a hot July weekday, declared it dead and went and loved the "vibrancy" of Sugarhouse? You know downtown is a very big place with lots of neighborhoods. Hint: avoid Rio Grande next time and don't be afraid. We won't bite you.
My parents are a great example of this, all my life growing up my parents avoided downtowns of big cities like the plague! Unless there was a ball game going on. They were at the belief that because its 'downtown' that has to mean that its dangerous or guetto. I believe that is a huge misconception among a lot of Americans, that because downtowns tend to have a larger concentration of all types of people that they are automatically dangerous. I think cities like Detroit and Chicago, LA (in some ways) kind of made a lot of people skeptical of all big cities. Its pretty sad if you think about it. I've only been to Salt Lake a couple times (so my experience could be far off from the usual-) But the few times I went I remember it being really clean, a lot and I mean a lot of homeless people, a lot of freaks who wasted their time trying to denote peoples beliefs/religion. But overall during the day I felt completely safe. At night it would get a little sketchy with only homeless out and about. I think the reason why the homeless problem is so bad in Salt Lake is because they realize they can take advantage of all the religious people trying to become better people

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 5:04 AM

I don't think there's anything here that the forum doesn't already know about, but maybe promising to see 151 tower in this article..

Check out the new buildings planned in downtown SLC

http://fox13now.com/2017/07/19/check...-downtown-slc/

Quote:
The downtown skyline to continues to change, with more growth forecast in the coming years.

In its annual “State of Downtown” report, the Downtown Alliance highlighted a number of new projects including new housing, office skyscrapers and hotels.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 5:07 AM

First event for the rodeo arena

Days of 47 Rodeo marks opening of new arena at Utah State Fairpark

http://fox13now.com/2017/07/19/days-...tate-fairpark/

Quote:
The Days of 47 Rodeo is underway, and the event has returned to the Utah State Fairpark for the first time in decades.

The rodeo is the first public event at the fair park’s brand new venue, the Days of 47 Arena.

Officials hope the arena will help turn around the fortunes of the Fairpark, which has been home to the Utah State Fair since 1902.

The new facility boasts 10,000 seats and cost $17 million.

--

Already the arena has drawn in a permanent restaurant, Pat's Barbecue, which is open for lunch and special events.

--

Future retail space along North Temple is planned, with many of the improvements being driven by big events at the arena

--

"We've got some concerts that we're going to be announcing in the next few days,” Mullenax said. “We've got some additional rodeos in the next little bit."

The Fairpark's managers are also hoping to be able to build a large expo center in the near future to drive more large events their way.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 6:35 AM

Is that an actual, official rendering of 151 State, or just an old concept?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 6:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
I don't think there's anything here that the forum doesn't already know about, but maybe promising to see 151 tower in this article..

Check out the new buildings planned in downtown SLC

http://fox13now.com/2017/07/19/check...-downtown-slc/

I think this is just an old recycle article that Fox13 does once a year since we have been waiting for these "skyscrapers" for YEARS now.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Well, it was a Sunday, so a weekend, and yeah there was some activity around Temple Square, given the day. And I'm well aware there are different sub-neighborhoods around downtown, which I did check out, I just focused my comments on the area you identified. Probably because I lived around Gateway a couple years ago and have spent lots of time in the area. Rio grand is a mess, but other neighborhoods are getting inundated with it's issues too.
And to be fair, there wasn't an event going on. When there is a Jazz game, or a Twilight Concert, etc, then there is that critical mass and it's pretty fun just to hang out and wander.
Also, I didn't say I loved Sugarhouse, just that there was much more pedestrian and cycle traffic, and people congregating; which is an oft discussed topic on this forum. I was making a comparison between the two neighborhoods on a single day, which of course, is only one data point; I did notice a contrast though. Sorry if I came off as overly critical.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 2:54 PM
Engineer

It's funny my experience with downtown has been the opposite in the recent past. For many years I got used to the downtown you guys described. Not a lot of people, a bum here and there, extremely quiet like a ghost town, but the dozens of times I've been downtown this spring/summer, only a couple of times has it been a little too quiet. Mostly I've been surprised by the amount of people I've seen. I'm usually downtown for an event though so I'm bound to be surrounded by people. Even Sundays are generally busier than I remember, but definitely the worst time to go downtown if you're looking activity.

Perhaps the most surprised I've been was on Saturday. I stayed out past 11 for the first time in a long time and I couldn't believe how many people were hanging out and walking up and down 200 and 300 South.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 6:31 PM
One Thing At A Time

I'm soooooo over people blaming the west side's lack of vibrancy on the homeless. The homeless aren't why people are hanging out on the west side! There is nothing on the west side to get people to hang out over there! Pallet, The Rose Establishment, Finca, and The Depot. are the only businesses worth crossing West Temple for. It has nothing to do with the homeless. The Depot sells out shows all the time because it is one of the few things worth checking out over there but when the show is over they head back downtown to the bars. Not because of the homeless but because 'Bout Time is the only option over there and it's chain joke of a bar. The Gateway didn't fail because of the homeless. It failed because a bigger better mall got built in the heart of downtown. Anyone that thinks that homeless population destroys an area of a city has never been to Haight Street in San Francisco. The homeless people on Haight are mean and aggressive and yet it is a thriving part of town BECAUSE THERE ARE THINGS WORTH DOING THERE! The new owners of The Gateway are doing just what they should. Putting in entertainment that will attract people to the west side.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 6:47 PM

Last edited by DMTower; Jul 20, 2017 at 7:20 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West