HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 6:50 PM

When reports say an "October groundbreaking" does that mean the current building will be torn down and site prep will begin before then, or that there won't be any movement on the site until October?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
When reports say an "October groundbreaking" does that mean the current building will be torn down and site prep will begin before then, or that there won't be any movement on the site until October?
The term "Groundbreaking" as used by developers is somewhat ambiguous. It could mean either.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
The term "Groundbreaking" as used by developers is somewhat ambiguous. It could mean either.
Okay thanks, I'm really looking forward to the renderings for this one. I'd say they'll release them when the sales center opens, which should be pretty soon. I hope The Independent takes a cue from 5th and West and just puts up signage and a fence out of nowhere.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
What 'groundbreaking' really means is the date that all the senior executives and stake-holders (and random politicians) can agree to show up on site with their hard hats, business suits and golden shovels for their press photo-op and self-congratulating.

*Full disclosure, I've participated in a few of those.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 10:21 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Their instagram posted a photo of a sign painted on their sales office window: "Icons never look like anything else."

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 11:30 PM

Haven't seen these posted yet.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
Haven't seen these posted yet.
Funny, I took a picture of the Austin Monthly ad just the other day! Project seems to be for real. Wish we could see some new renderings.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 2:55 PM

The Independent tower renderings have been available for quite some time. In fact they have already been posted in this thread. Here's two of them - one on each side of the Urban Space Realty guy's head:

Zoomed and cropped from this place: http://www.independentaustin.com/

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 3:04 PM

Quote:
The Independent tower renderings have been available for quite some time. In fact they have already been posted in this thread. Here's two of them - one on each side of the Urban Space Realty guy's head:

Nice find. It would be awesome if the architectural piece that tops it off changes colors. This building could be a true masterpiece and will balance the skyline.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 5:45 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:

Yes, but it's from far off, we can't really see detail. We want the digital copy!

Also, I think those might actually be high tech more detailed massings, rather than renderings.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Yes, but it's from far off, we can't really see detail. We want the digital copy!

Also, I think those might actually be high tech more detailed massings, rather than renderings.
You sir, are always so serious.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 9:31 PM

A piece of NYC coming to Austin. I want to credit the former on here that said that this tower would resemble one of the new towers that is currently going up in NYC.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
A piece of NYC coming to Austin. I want to credit the former on here that said that this tower would resemble one of the new towers that is currently going up in NYC.
Wasn't that ahealy?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Wasn't that ahealy?
It might had been.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 10:40 PM
Rundberg & I35

The Independent sales team just sent out some details about the project including the floor plans. Looks like 370 units (20 floor plans) ranging from ~350k to over 3 million.

http://www.independentaustin.com/residences/#1bed

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 11:22 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
This project is definitely serious.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Nice find. It would be awesome if the architectural piece that tops it off changes colors. This building could be a true masterpiece and will balance the skyline.
It won't just balance the skyline, it would almost become the signature tower. I say almost because I'm still hoping for an office signature tower somewhere east of Congress, north of 6th.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
It won't just balance the skyline, it would almost become the signature tower. I say almost because I'm still hoping for an office signature tower somewhere east of Congress, north of 6th.
If this one is truly 750 ft, it will be the signature tower, I just mean the Austonian won't look so alone, as there will be two focal points now. If I were to guess, I think Austin's first 1,000 ft tower will be office and not residential, or more likely it will be mixed use.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 4:27 AM

Floor Plan Clues

So the Independent has yet to release exterior renderings or an official height... but the good news is that the floor plans offer some clues. First of all, the walls have window symbols along the entirety of the exterior facing sections, meaning it looks as though this building will be mostly glass. Unit C5 is the largest unit at 3,485 SF. It is described as a 3 bedroom, 3.5 bath, with a study, media room, and butler's pantry. So, I would think this is the penthouse, even though it isn't labeled that officially. However, the site says that this floor plan exists from levels 52-58. So we know it will be at least 58 stories! This makes me think that floors 59-60 could house two-level penthouses and that those designs just haven't been released yet. This would mean floor 61 is mechanical, if original floor projections were accurate. It says that the most expensive unit will be over $3,000,000, and that's what makes me think the 3-bedroom floor plan isn't actually the penthouse because that would put the price point at over $861 per square foot, and that's if the price was at exactly $3,000,000, which it will be more. At 61 stories with 12 foot ceilings, this building would be 732 ft, which is in line with initial projections. I'd think they would go for high ceilings to compete with the Austonian, but they could opt for just 10 ft, because only 8 ft ceilings are the standard for residential buildings. Even at 10 ft ceilings, this building would be at least 610 ft. It looks like that top cube part, may not be an architectural addition after all. It appears as though the first 10 floors will be office or amenity floors because residential units don't start until the 10th floor. From there, the design calls for 3 tiers, that proceed to alternate the direction they jut out. It appears as though what they label as the "4th tier" is that cube at the top. So it's unclear if they'll add a spire, or crown. What do you guys think?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 4:34 AM

Quote:
What do you guys think?
I think you must be a late night coffee drinker

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin