HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 6:33 PM

I actually noticed the other day that I can now see it from my house. From Second ave & Fillmore it peaks up over the buildings to the south. I was shocked when I saw it. Never imagined it would fill the gap there. I'll try and take a picture later.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 7:27 PM
BANNED

I can see it today too. Peeking over science center.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 7:57 PM

That's a lot of peaking going on, you two!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 8:39 PM

Except John used the correct one...me fail english? - that's unpossible.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 8:42 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynnjamin View Post
Except John used the correct one...me fail english? - that's unpossible.
They could both be right... is the top of the tower currently pointy?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 10:23 PM
BANNED

the peak of the science center is pointy with the court tower peeking behind the peak.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 2:01 AM

Up to floor #10 out of 16 so it still has a bit to go. This thing will have some nice height and will be great for the skyline.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 12:19 PM
BANNED

Maybe it'll block the view of some of those old, ugly, 70's style, govt buildings.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 10:31 PM

Do you think it will be visable to anyone in town for the Phoenix Open.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 7:49 PM

Took this yesterday while eating lunch during Jury Duty.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2010, 2:01 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...urt-tower.html

Quote:
16-story court-tower effort on schedule, under budget
9 comments by Yvonne Wingett - Apr. 4, 2010 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic
Construction crews are close to topping out the 16-story court tower near First Avenue and Madison Street in downtown Phoenix.

Despite all the politicking and failed legal fights over the project, drywall is going up and the last steel beam is scheduled to be placed later this month.

The Maricopa County Criminal Court Tower will house 22 courtrooms when it's completed in less than two years and another 10 will be shelled for future use.

At $340 million, the court tower is the most expensive project in county history - and so far, it's on schedule and $6 million under budget, construction managers and county officials said.

Last week, the Board of Supervisors unanimously awarded $37 million in contracts to Gilbane Building Co. and Ryan Cos. The board also moved forward on a $276,000 plan to prepare for the demolition of the First Avenue Jail and to create a plaza that links the old court buildings to the new tower.

Over the last several months, supervisors have huddled with construction officials to consider whether to install an escalator to link the tower to existing court buildings.

"I'm real proud," Supervisor Max Wilson said. "The prices came down a little bit than what we had anticipated. And when you think of what we started with - a hole in the ground - and where we are today, it's a pretty good accomplishment."

The supervisors started planning the tower 12 years ago to handle future growth in the criminal-justice system. For years, they stashed away money for the project. A decade later, in 2007, the board authorized $340 million to design and build the project.

Not long after, Sheriff Joe Arpaio and County Attorney Andrew Thomas publicly criticized the project, saying the money should be spent on floating the county through the recession. The pair looked into legal contracts awarded for the project and later accused the Superior Court of blocking a grand-jury inquiry on the subject.

A judge disqualified Thomas from the investigation, saying he had a conflict of interest. The pair later used the project as ammunition in a broad federal racketeering complaint that Thomas later dropped.

Superior Court handles about 40,000 felony cases a year. Court officials expect that number to grow over the next decade, although the trend has recently leveled off amid the economic downturn, Court Administrator Marcus Reinkensmeyer said.

The tower will include a large jury assembly room for the entire criminal-court complex, state-of-the-art technology and separate waiting rooms for victims and witnesses.

So far, the county has spent about $89 million on the project, including construction, architectural and engineering fees, furniture, insurance, and project management, said Abe Thomas, court-tower project executive.

If approved, the county could spend another $6 million to demolish the First Avenue Jail and rebuild the plaza. That building is almost 50 years old, filled with asbestos and was closed as a jail in 1999, County Manager David Smith said.

Several sheriff's offices are housed in the building, including a 911 call center, telecommunications, a crime lab and a records section, which houses warrants.

Gerard Sheridan, chief of custody for the Sheriff's Office, said moving those offices without disrupting work would be complicated and costly.

"It's quite complex," he said. "Moving something like communications, you can't just say, 'OK, you're going to be down for a week.' You need an instantaneous switchover from one function to the next. That's costly."

County officials are looking for space for the offices, either in downtown Phoenix or near the Durango campus in southwest Phoenix.

The tower should be completed by fall 2011 and opened in February 2012.
I think thats the 1st Ive heard of possibly demolishing the jail. Lets hope it happens, that building (by necessity) is a fortress and a plaza would certainly be an improvement. Lets hope its not retardly designed like most of our public spaces.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2010, 12:06 AM
BANNED

I can see about 6 stories of that new building from my shower. It's kind of cool how it will affect the skyline at least from my point of view.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2010, 12:37 AM

I agree. How many more stories to go?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2010, 6:52 AM

It's never really been clear to me what the relationship is between the court tower and the failed Plaza de Maricopa.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2010, 9:13 AM
Skyriser

^ I dont think there is one. The PdM was cancelled because it was too "opulent" ... the court tower is a different, relatively utilitarian project.

Meanwhile, the county still leases around a million square feet downtown.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2010, 9:35 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Combusean, whoops, sorry forgot we had a special thread for this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxbyrd View Post
It's never really been clear to me what the relationship is between the court tower and the failed Plaza de Maricopa.
I think you're maybe just confused by the mention of a plaza?

What the article is talking about is knocking out the dingy, not used, 1st Street jail and creating an open plaza. See here:

The green square-ish shape is the 1st street jail, that would go away and become an open plaza. Madison Street will be closed and become a pedestrian only area and the orange square is where the Courthouse is going.

I actually really like the idea because opening up that parcel will help connect visually and for pedestrians the new County Courthouse to the historic courthouse just north of Jefferson.

Now if only that awful surface parking surrounding the Historic Courthouse can be done away with and replaced with grass like was originally there.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2010, 6:32 PM

Turns out I was confused about the jail that's going to be demolished but that wasn't really my question. I did actually think the jail they were going to demlish was the old Madison St. jail which also still houses sheriff's offices. I didn't realize that was a jail on 1st ave and not just the back of the court house.

But my actual question is was the Plaza de Maricopa building going to have any of the same functions as the court tower will? The article says the county approved the current project in 98 but I don't think the first building was axed until 2002 was it? Further, if the courthouse was economy engineered while they are currently are under budget and there are very real concerns about whether the county got the best labor deals they could have then I would label this project as disapointing.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2010, 10:18 PM
Skyriser

The PdM is dead and the County continues to lease space in office complexes around the central city. There was talk years ago about the County building yet another tower apart from PdM and the DCT on empty land they own near 7th Avenue west of their current complex as most of their leases were wrapping up a few years ago, but obviously nothing's been built so far. The DCT is only for courthouses and related functions and will have no general office space.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 12:28 AM

So the DCT was actaully aproved before PdM was axed and both were for a short time on the slate together? If that's true then that was very interesting news. I assume after Sept. 11 when the killed PdM that they also delayed the DCT since they didn't break ground until last year nearly 10 years after the article says it was approved.

Were the plans for the mysterious third building shorter or taller than PdM? I would think if the county could get its budget under control in the next couple years they could revisit the idea of building an office tower DT. After all, now is the cheapest labor market you are going to see until the next great economic crisis of this century and who knows when that's going to happen.

Here's a thought; MAG was talking about building a new headquarters before the bottom fell out, why not team up with the county to build a nice tall tower on land they already own?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 4:17 AM

What the hell...they installed a second tower crane for the court tower?! I wonder if this was always the plan or if they went "Uhh...crap...we need that second tower crane after all."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest