HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 12:31 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDENSITY View Post
All i can say is that the Norwegians have a suburban style that aims for large squares-- i think this site needs density more than open spaces. I really hope we don't get some crappy modern art strewn across a square with a three story "center piece" that's supposed to look like a bjork dress.

I guess im pessimistic. I know bjork is icelandic
They did the Times Square redesign. I'd say that is urban experience enough!

Or try taking a look at their portfolio, there is a vast amount of urban projects in it.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 5:01 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
Dude, its November right now. No April Fool's. Its Legit.
I think this might be the first time I am actually excited about this project and want to see it actually get built. I don't even know what Snohetta is going to design, but I know it is gonna be amazing.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 5:04 AM
A before E

Quote:
They did the Times Square redesign. I'd say that is urban experience enough!

Or try taking a look at their portfolio, there is a vast amount of urban projects in it.
I have seen the redesign they did of Time Square which looked awesome, and I had the chance of going to the 9/11 museum, which they did the building for that which again was an amazing piece of architecture.

Whatever they do for Portland, it is definitely going to be a world class structure.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 5:41 AM

Ha! Wow, I just noticed this. Huge news. I'm so glad it's not April Fool's Day because I can barely believe this under normal circumstances.

I've experienced this building in the flesh and it is a beauty in so many ways. Wikipedia article here.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 6:17 AM

One of the criticisms leveled at the Block 67 tower is that it doesn't really engage with the Burnside Bridge. Given Snøhetta's skill at working in section, I hope they'll come up with a really inventive way to make a feature out of those cloverleaf ramps.

I'm really struggling to believe that in a few years Portland could have buildings by Snøhetta, Kengo Kuma and Behnisch Architekten.

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 6:22 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
One of the criticisms leveled at the Block 67 tower is that it doesn't really engage with the Burnside Bridge. Given Snøhetta's skill at working in section, I hope they'll come up with a really inventive way to make a feature out of those cloverleaf ramps.

I'm really struggling to believe that in a few years Portland could have buildings by Snøhetta, Kengo Kuma and Behnisch Architekten.
Wait, what? We are getting a Kengo Kuma and Behnisch Architekten buildings as well? Which projects are these? And this too also sounds like great news.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Wait, what? We are getting a Kengo Kuma and Behnisch Architekten buildings as well? Which projects are these? And this too also sounds like great news.
The Japanese Gardens expansion is being designed by Kengo Kuma, with THA as the local architect. They went through the conditional use process earlier in the year, which was required to allow them to build anything in an Open Space zone. I haven't been able to find any images of the actual building designs, but I'm sure they'll be released soon. These were concept images released back in 2011, but I believe a lot has changed since then:

Behnisch Architekten are designing the PSU School of Business Administration expansion, which is due before the Design Commission on the December 18th, if they don't bump it back down the list again. SRG are the local architect. This is an image from PSU's website, but again, I'm not sure how current it is.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 9:38 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Behnisch Architekten are designing the PSU School of Business Administration expansion, which is due before the Design Commission on the December 18th, if they don't bump it back down the list again. SRG are the local architect. This is an image from PSU's website, but again, I'm not sure how current it is.

I'll see Urbanlife's "what?" and raise you a "WHUT?!" Where did this one come from? When & where is it planned to be built? I see cool glass, ledges and ghost-people. What I don't see is a location. I'm not familiar with this project at all.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
When & where is it planned to be built? I see cool glass, ledges and ghost-people. What I don't see is a location. I'm not familiar with this project at all.
This is planned, I'm pretty sure, for the vacant (landscaped) half-block next to the current business school. The image shows something like a MAX train and the building to the left looks like the huge gym they build on the urban plaza a few years ago.

Although wasn't there also some talk about knocking down some of the housing on the Park Blocks and putting the business school there (we're talking discussions that were at least five years ago)?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 4:40 PM

I did mention it in the PSU thread, but no one responded. It's an expansion and remodel of the existing business school, on the block bound by SW Broadway / Harrison / 6th / Montgomery. Here's the press release dated Jan 15th:

Quote:
PSU awards architecture contract to SRG Partnership Inc. for business school expansion project
Author: John Kirkland
Posted: January 13, 2014
(Portland, OR) — Portland State University (PSU) has chosen the architecture firm SRG Partnership Inc. to design a $60 million expansion of PSU’s School of Business Administration building. Groundbreaking for the project is scheduled for January 2015.

SRG will work closely with German firm Behnisch Architekten on the project. Behnisch Architekten is a world leader in sustainable design, with academic clients including the University of Baltimore, University of Toronto, and University of Heidelberg.

The PSU project will add 42,000 square feet of new construction and renovations to the building’s existing 52,000 square feet. In addition, the Graduate School of Education, which shares the building with Business Administration, will relocate, freeing an additional 53,000 square feet for the business school. The result will nearly triple the business school’s space and bring it under one roof.

SRG Partnership, with offices in Portland and Seattle, designed the 66,000-square-foot historic renovation of PSU’s Shattuck Hall in 2010. The LEED Gold-certified project transformed PSU’s oldest building and won awards from the American Institute of Architects, American Council of Engineering Companies, and the International Interior Design Association.

SRG has also designed major projects at other West Coast colleges and universities, including University of Oregon’s Lillis Business Complex, University of Washington, Washington State University, University of California-Riverside, and University of California-Berkeley.

The business school expansion will be paid for with a combination of $40 million in state funding and $20 million in philanthropic gifts. PSU has raised nearly 80 percent of its philanthropic goal, which includes an $8 million gift from MBA alumnus Rick Miller and his wife Erika. It’s the largest gift in the school’s history.

The School of Business Administration has about 3,000 students, making it the largest business school in Oregon. Students currently attend classes in multiple locations throughout campus. The project will bring all business classes to one building. It will add 25 project and team rooms, a full auditorium, five industry-specific centers, and several functional common spaces.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 5:50 PM

Where is the School of Education moving to?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 7:31 PM
A before E

That is so awesome, those are two different projects I didn't even know was in the works. It is so great seeing Portland get some of this international architecture firms, even though I do love the local firms, this is all great news.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 8:08 PM
A before E

Quote:
I'll see Urbanlife's "what?" and raise you a "WHUT?!" Where did this one come from? When & where is it planned to be built? I see cool glass, ledges and ghost-people. What I don't see is a location. I'm not familiar with this project at all.
It looks like it will be going on this block.
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5117...sTYw!2e0?hl=en

All I have to say is we should give maccoinnich a round of applause for keeping up with more projects than we can even keep track of.

It is good to see that the school has decided to move this project over to this project, hopefully that means the little residential building on the Park Block is safe. And also have to give those running PSU some serious props for pushing the level of design on campus because they seem to have some amazing buildings coming up in the next several years.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 8:55 PM

Actually, i THINK it was the Stratford, on 10th and Market. Not on Park.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 10:32 PM

I take back my criticism. I think they'll do an excellent job with the market. I'm just hoping and hoping and hoping for an iconic tower that has height restrictions forgiven. It could be magnificent... Especially, if it takes the form of the triangular lot; this will be a welcoming beacon into Portland from the Morrisson bridge and it will act as a flow divider of traffic. It could be a truly dynamic landmark presence... I'm hoping to be wowed by their proposals.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 7:51 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
This is planned, I'm pretty sure, for the vacant (landscaped) half-block next to the current business school. The image shows something like a MAX train and the building to the left looks like the huge gym they build on the urban plaza a few years ago.

Although wasn't there also some talk about knocking down some of the housing on the Park Blocks and putting the business school there (we're talking discussions that were at least five years ago)?
Here, I'll one-up you and give you guys the streetview of the existing condition:

SW 6th and Montgomery

PSU apparently thought better of splitting the business school into two locations.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 5:26 PM

Quote:
PSU apparently thought better of splitting the business school into two locations.
My understanding is that the current expansion is much cheaper than the whole new building idea. PSU couldn't afford the building they wanted, so they are settling for an expansion/renovation.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 6:13 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeade View Post
My understanding is that the current expansion is much cheaper than the whole new building idea. PSU couldn't afford the building they wanted, so they are settling for an expansion/renovation.
Hopefully that means we will see a gut renovation of the existing buildings on that block.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 9:48 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

This thread has been totally derailed, but the conversation is excellent. Any chance we can get these PSU posts moved to a PSU thread?

Also: I'm still kind of confused here.

Quote:
Here, I'll one-up you and give you guys the streetview of the existing condition:

SW 6th and Montgomery

Is PSU really going to build on that grassy park-ish lot? I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea, but I like that green spot. Ah well. And while I'm asking questions, I've always wondered why those buildings were connected by elevated walkways... or whatever we call them. In Minneapolis, they're called Skyways. I understand why they're so common in Minneapolis, but I always wondered why they were built in PSU.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 9:59 PM

Quote:
This thread has been totally derailed, but the conversation is excellent. Any chance we can get these PSU posts moved to a PSU thread?
Unfortunately I can only move entire threads, not specific comments.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland