HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 3:10 PM

prob gonna be parking for the "80% leased" office building next door for the foreseeable future. too bad they had to tear down that nice little heritage building for this debacle.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 3:33 PM

Ya they filled in the whole. Not a good sign.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Ya they filled in the whole. Not a good sign.
I think this thread is officially dead haha. Shall we hold a funeral for Osborne Station TOD?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 3:48 PM

On one hand, I'm kind of glad to see that the second building didn't get built. It was ugly and had a huge above-ground parkade. On the other hand, Jeff is probably right about it becoming a parking lot for the building next door. Honestly really frustrating that such a valuable piece of land got bought by such an incompetent developer. At least O-Station Cafe is a nice little coffee shop, just wish it was open on Sundays haha.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 5:29 PM

That building is such an eyesore. It belongs in an industrial park.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
On one hand, I'm kind of glad to see that the second building didn't get built. It was ugly and had a huge above-ground parkade. On the other hand, Jeff is probably right about it becoming a parking lot for the building next door. Honestly really frustrating that such a valuable piece of land got bought by such an incompetent developer. At least O-Station Cafe is a nice little coffee shop, just wish it was open on Sundays haha.
Good news: There's no way on earth that the city will allow that property to be used as a parking lot.

Bad news: There's also nothing they can or will do to actually make anyone use that land. It'll remain a vacant lot for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 6:18 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Good news: There's no way on earth that the city will allow that property to be used as a parking lot..
Until they just start using it as a parking lot. And then the City says "tsk tsk. Next time don't do that!"

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Until they just start using it as a parking lot. And then the City says "tsk tsk. Next time don't do that!"
This is the thing that drives me crazy about the city. They'll never allow a parking lot as a use, but they also won't enforce any of their bylaws.

As far as I understand, the Albert/Arthur corner in the Exchange, for instance, is being illegally used as a parking lot. I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong) that the city ever approved this use. But the owners have added fencing, towing warning signage, etc. It's clear it's being used as a permanent parking lot.

Part of the total lack of accountability or performance management that the city audit pointed out...

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 5:43 PM

Word on the street is that the parking lot facing confusion corner is being converted into a plaza.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgRocksDude View Post
Word on the street is that the parking lot facing confusion corner is being converted into a plaza.
In exchange for the gravel parking lot (south of the building) becoming permanent?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
In exchange for the gravel parking lot (south of the building) becoming permanent?
I sure hope not, but that would make sense as to why they filled it up.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 8:52 PM
What could go wrong?

I think it was always the plan for the parcel in front of the building to be a park. The city put it out for tender last month. It is the people in the building that used it and the sidewalk as a parking lot. Hopefully the city does not allow them to turn the back property into a “temporary” parking lot.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan