HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 26, 2023, 3:27 PM
Look at me!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2023, 6:14 PM

Gorgeous pics Rico. I really like the light.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2023, 7:12 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

YYZ from IAD
by PJMixer, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 26, 2023, 10:27 PM

Just when you think Toronto couldn’t possibly get any bigger - meh.. I guess there’s room for the rest of Canada in that pic

Rico - jeez, knocking it out of the park lately! Some nice fresh shots and perspectives! Great composition and framing which really highlights Montreal’s wonderful mulit-dimensional layers.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2023, 10:39 PM

With the new TOD land use policy coming next year, Vancouver is going to make Toronto look like Charlottetown!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2023, 11:52 PM

Man Toronto is beast mode! Love all the green that still finds its way into such an urban place.

Last edited by AuxTown; Nov 27, 2023 at 12:17 AM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 4:27 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
With the new TOD land use policy coming next year, Vancouver is going to make Toronto look like Charlottetown!

The homer delusion is unreal.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 5:18 AM
I am the law!

I don't think he was serious

Speaking of, Can fit Charlottetown's population in the proposed High Tech S(kyscraper)TOD. who cares about as of right zoning when the province is backing it.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 5:26 AM

Ya I was joking, but this new policy will transform the CoV. Imagine if Toronto were to implement such a policy.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 2:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.S MTL View Post

Mtlurb on Instagram
I had to do a double take as this looks very Toronto-ish.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 8:02 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Great shots G.S.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 8:38 PM

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 9:01 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Ya I was joking, but this new policy will transform the CoV. Imagine if Toronto were to implement such a policy.
What would it change In Toronto? There's 50 storey towers proposed at transit stations all across the system. Proposals with approved zoning is not an issue despite the drawn out process.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 9:08 PM

That is a fascinating shot of Toronto. Humber Bay skyline looks impressive from many low angles, but from this perspective, it seems quite small. The Yonge-University Line spurred an impressive amount of development over the years, but Bloor's development has been limited. Lots of low density otherwise.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
What would it change In Toronto? There's 50 storey towers proposed at transit stations all across the system. Proposals with approved zoning is not an issue despite the drawn out process.
I just assume Toronto gets nimby pushback like Vancouver. Towers along Danforth at a 400 meter radius would eat into a lot of single family homes.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 10:09 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Under the planned BC rules a lot of subway stops in Toronto would be radically upzoned and redeveloped, like say Woodbine where you find a subway entrance next to detached houses.

When you think about it, it's pretty remarkable how undeveloped some of these areas are, and it's not very equitable in a country with such limited infrastructure. Toronto doesn't have enough subways in general, and a significant number of stations that exist serve areas that have barely changed since the 70's.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 10:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
A bigger crowd than what I used to see in the dying days of the Expos at the Big Owe. Nice shot.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 11:48 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Under the planned BC rules a lot of subway stops in Toronto would be radically upzoned and redeveloped, like say Woodbine where you find a subway entrance next to detached houses.

When you think about it, it's pretty remarkable how undeveloped some of these areas are, and it's not very equitable in a country with such limited infrastructure. Toronto doesn't have enough subways in general, and a significant number of stations that exist serve areas that have barely changed since the 70's.
The point remains Toronto has enough proposals to fulfill development for the next 25 years. Upzoning around Woodbine Station expedites the zoning process. That's all it does. Perhaps upzoned as of right encourages assemblages that get flipped but, I question if it would lead to further intensification than what is happening now. It's too simple to revert to zoning why Woodbine hasn't seen the proposals over at Main Station or the borough proposed for the Golden Mile. There's actually an abundance of stations/ heck stops at the scale of development being proposed ... encouraged ... by the province and some are better than others. Not every station is going experience major development plans Danforth being small scale retail and single family properties is less attractive than the multi-hectare strip plaza and warehouses in the Golden Mile or the pocket of industrial/big box at Main Go Station.

As with as of right zoning, there's no need for the developer to publish their intentions until they are ready. That could be long after construction has started with rentals. The results may be fewer proposals to discuss.

The largest property at Woodbine ... the grocer with surface parking and right next to the bus terminal ... has a long standing two high rise proposal. Overall, Danforth would be different place if all the approved developments were suddenly built in the morning.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 11:53 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I wonder if capacity to build large developments is the same as smaller developments that could be undertaken by different developers (and maybe use wood frame, no crane, etc.). These smaller developments aren't economical on the more expensive sites and they're likely to be impacted more by regulatory costs including delays. You can go through a baroque planning process for a $1B multi-tower development but the same process is less affordable for a 6 storey building on a house lot.

Around here there is a pretty dominant "tall and sprawl" model where a relatively small and fixed group of developers built ultra high density multi-phase developments in commercial areas and then most construction is banned on most of the other land. It's more like an oligopoly situation rather than a free market with low barriers to entry. We should at least experiment with what it looks like not to have that constraint. If it turns out there are other bottlenecks like skilled labour such as trades then those should be addressed as well. Canada has a lot of these situations where there are 8 reasons why things aren't working and people say we shouldn't bother fixing reason #7 because it won't do anything on its own.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 12:02 AM
I am the law!

The number of high rises in Toronto is going to drop below 200. Large scale developers are struggling to get to those finish lines. How can there be an hope for smaller scale developers?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada