HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Someone posted this interesting juxtaposition of Winnipeg and Edmonton on reddit, thought I'd share:

http://mapfrappe.com/?show=37824
how cool is that

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^So basically if we fill out to the Perimeter (and associated densification) we should be at about 1.3 million.
Actually about 900,000. But if our Lorettes, Nivervilles, E. and W St. Pauls, Headingleys etc. grow to be as big as Edmonton's Spruce Groves, Stoney Plains, Leducs and Beaumonts, we wil l be at 1.3 Million.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 6:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
it's kind of wild to move the map to other big world cities and see just how piddly our density levels are.
LOL I hope you aren't referring to Edmonton as a big world city

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 4:15 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

^^^

No, like Paris & New York.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 11:58 PM

Here's a picture that I'm posting for the sole reason that I like it... 333 Main actually does a half decent job of interacting with the street but unfortunately it's plunked on a stretch of sidewalk where few tread.

Source: Winnipeg Free Press

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 12:04 AM
I am a typical

I suppose that's a half-decent job of interacting with the street... the missing half of that half decent would be using that other window bay as a storefront of some kind. Then you'd draw some people over there.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 1:59 PM

But no one can get there due to the barricades.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I suppose that's a half-decent job of interacting with the street... the missing half of that half decent would be using that other window bay as a storefront of some kind. Then you'd draw some people over there.
Normally I would agree with you but I think that for a corporate head office like that a little newsstand or deli would look a bit out of place.

I have to admit this photo loses a bit of its impact at the size shown... the smaller version on the WFP website was better. Is there any way to resize the photo as displayed without resorting to editing the image itself?

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 3:45 PM

I have always thought that is a very beautiful building. by far my favourite modern building in Winnipeg.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Is there any way to resize the photo as displayed without resorting to editing the image itself?
Not with the coding options availble on the forum. Only other option most are aware of is saving it to your PC, Uploading it to an image hosting account and choosing the size there, (Hosting site will edit it), and you post the image code supplied here.

I've tried editing the codes in numerous ways with no success in the past.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 6:28 PM

^ Thanks, but arrrgh that is such a PITA. How on earth is it that BBCode can't resize images the way you can easily with HTML?!

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 6:38 PM

^ I here you, that last image I posted in construction reg: Burnell was too large, You can edit the images in BB but those options are not available here. Controls limit what you can do for the obvious reason. I could post an entire page, already coded in (notepad) with anything i liked and paste it in a second..That's what I'd do for a website but you can see the problems in a forum structure like this..

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
I have always thought that is a very beautiful building. by far my favourite modern building in Winnipeg.
Same here.. very unique, asymmetrical design, yet simple.

That said, I'm sure many drones inside hate the complate lack of windows.

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 1:13 PM
Ignore these four words.

^^AND at night when it's lit with the blue lights, it looks like a vertical PlayStation.

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
^^AND at night when it's lit with the blue lights, it looks like a vertical PlayStation.
I've always loved the MTS buildings. And yeah that blue light is awesome, the only example of a tower actually with some light design in Winnipeg... It's small and simple but stands out drastically against the darkness of everything else at night. Off topic ish, but it's such a shame there is zero exterior lighting on CMHR. What a waste.

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 7:16 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
...Off topic ish, but it's such a shame there is zero exterior lighting on CMHR. What a waste.
This actually bothers me a lot. Such a wasted opportunity. Instead of contributing to the skyline at night it makes a big dark patch when on camera especially. The least they could do would be flood lights to illuminate the facade.

Last edited by optimusREIM; Jun 13, 2016 at 7:29 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
This actually bothers me a lot. Such a water opportunity. Instead of contributing to the skyline at night it makes a big dark patch when on camera especially. The least they could do would be flood lights to illuminate the facade.
The side that faces the Esplanade and St. Boniface has so many dramatic surface changes that would look incredible with some simple lighting at all the cuts.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 4:57 PM

CBC reports that David Sanders has died. For those who don't know the name, he was a senior bureaucrat/lawyer known for asking very tough questions at various council and committee meetings at City Hall, becoming a thorn in Sam Katz's side in the process.

He ran for mayor in 2014 although by the time he threw his hat into the ring it was really too late to get his campaign off the ground.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 6:01 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
CBC reports that David Sanders has died. For those who don't know the name, he was a senior bureaucrat/lawyer known for asking very tough questions at various council and committee meetings at City Hall, becoming a thorn in Sam Katz's side in the process.

He ran for mayor in 2014 although by the time he threw his hat into the ring it was really too late to get his campaign off the ground.

We need more people like him to ask the questions.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 6:22 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan