HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Developers and businesses won’t seriously go car free or car lite until the city/CapMetro get serious about transit service there. I ride the 803 myself, but that’s not the solution for tens of thousands.

Red Line improvements will help slightly, but that’s like 50M of the 7B project, less than 1%. The orange line spur to there was scoped out early in the Project Connect process. Heck, where are the center running bus lanes from the Burnet Road corridor planning from 10 years ago?

The saving grace is that all this development (even with all the parking) is providing the critical mass of jobs/homes to efficiently serve with transit eventually.
While a gondola may not make sense in Austin for the highest capacity routes, as a supplemental route in the Domain area, it could actually make a lot of sense.

It could connect the red line stops up in that area to the IBM campus redevelopment, the Domain, Q2, any potential densification of JJ Pickle, and even cross Mopac into the areas around the Gateway shopping center that are going to eventually be densified. There are no capital view corridors to contend with either.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 3:19 PM

I just moved to Cedar Park (North of Austin). I lived in NYC and other cities with good/fair public transportation. I like here and I don't want to change a thing, but some aspects could be optimized.

Sometimes I have to go to work at the Domain (my company's office is there)

I live 1 mile away from the light rail tracks, but the CapMetro nearest station is 6 miles away. So the idea is that you will drive to the station, but if I am getting into my car, I am going straight to the destination! Otherwise is like: Drive/Park/Ride/Walk another mile (because the station at the Domain is far from everything around)

I would be fine to walk 20 minutes, even 30 minutes to the station (people do that around the world), or hop in a quick conector bus well connected to the system.

But the system is designed to fail. Then almost no one uses it, and you see people campaigning to destroy it (inducing traffic demand)

Now the company I work for is moving to the new building at the LaQuinta Inn site, but it is okay, the thing is actually a huge parking lot with some offices on the top of it, Ill drive there, meet you on the traffic jam.

It is amusing to me that the people who oppose public transit are those who are most affected by the lack of such system, as all the other people who would like to chose an alternative transportation don't have the freedom to do it, thus are mandated by the state to use a car and contribute to more traffic jams.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
While a gondola may not make sense in Austin for the highest capacity routes, as a supplemental route in the Domain area, it could actually make a lot of sense.

It could connect the red line stops up in that area to the IBM campus redevelopment, the Domain, Q2, any potential densification of JJ Pickle, and even cross Mopac into the areas around the Gateway shopping center that are going to eventually be densified. There are no capital view corridors to contend with either.
Perfect!

Public mass transit has to be induced, if you are going to wait for a location to need a system moving 1 million people a day, you will be doomed.

Austin Metro has already tracks around and areas for stations, even in the suburbs. It is possible to build a scalable infrastructure without huge costs, that would induce people out of the roads, leaving the roads to the people who don't want public transit.

There is massive development going on all around Austin, people are talking about San Antonio / Austin megalopolis. Mass transit implementation is urgent.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
No it doesn’t. For the same reason it doesn’t make sense most places in Austin. There’s not the sort of topographic barriers that would make it (and its huge manpower requirements) worthwhile.

Everything you talk about could be done better with circulator buses.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiml View Post
I just moved to Cedar Park (North of Austin). I lived in NYC and other cities with good/fair public transportation. I like here and I don't want to change a thing, but some aspects could be optimized.

Sometimes I have to go to work at the Domain (my company's office is there)

I live 1 mile away from the light rail tracks, but the CapMetro nearest station is 6 miles away. So the idea is that you will drive to the station, but if I am getting into my car, I am going straight to the destination! Otherwise is like: Drive/Park/Ride/Walk another mile (because the station at the Domain is far from everything around)

I would be fine to walk 20 minutes, even 30 minutes to the station (people do that around the world), or hop in a quick conector bus well connected to the system.

But the system is designed to fail. Then almost no one uses it, and you see people campaigning to destroy it (inducing traffic demand)

Now the company I work for is moving to the new building at the LaQuinta Inn site, but it is okay, the thing is actually a huge parking lot with some offices on the top of it, Ill drive there, meet you on the traffic jam.

It is amusing to me that the people who oppose public transit are those who are most affected by the lack of such system, as all the other people who would like to chose an alternative transportation don't have the freedom to do it, thus are mandated by the state to use a car and contribute to more traffic jams.
You moved to a famously anti transit suburb, with 0 transit service, and complain that CapMetro doesn’t serve you well.

It wasn’t designed to fail. The red line was SRO pre-pandemic, and will be again. That’s the exact opposite of “almost no one uses it”

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 5:42 PM

Quote:
um... this is so wrong. yes, the system isn't great and could be massively improved, but plenty of people use it. during commute times, it is usually standing room only. the issue is that MORE could be using it if it had more frequent service, maybe more stops, etc.

don't shit on the ONE thing we have in this city.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
[...] the issue is that MORE could be using it if it had more frequent service, maybe more stops, etc.

don't shit on the ONE thing we have in this city.
Hahahah not my intention to shit in the ONE thing you have in the city.

And the bus system is not that bad too!

Thanks for rephrasing my thoughts in a better way, by the way!

I had NYC standards when I said "almost no one uses", which is not a fair comparison.

By the way, Ive lived in Louisiana, NY, Hawaii, Colorado, and Austin is one of my top places in the country to live. Actually I chose to live here (my employer allowed me to move anywhere). Austin is great, including CAP Metro. I am aware of the expansion plans and I am thrilled about it.

Old Posted May 7, 2023, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Hahahah not my intention to shit in the ONE thing you have in the city.

And the bus system is not that bad too!

Thanks for rephrasing my thoughts in a better way, by the way!

I had NYC standards when I said "almost no one uses", which is not a fair comparison.

By the way, Ive lived in Louisiana, NY, Hawaii, Colorado, and Austin is one of my top places in the country to live. Actually I chose to live here (my employer allowed me to move anywhere). Austin is great, including CAP Metro. I am aware of the expansion plans and I am thrilled about it.
Welcome to Cedar Park...... and the greater Austin area!

Also, wow! It's refreshing to see someone not get their proverbial panties in a wad when being critiqued on here for the opinion they've expressed while at the same time responding constructively to said criticism. Well played, sir/ma'am, well played.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 9:25 PM

Much appreciated. Years of flamewars of experience, I am trying to become more civilized!

Well, I don't want to deviate from the topic, as I am currently an employee of the company that is likely to move to one of the buildings mentioned in this topic I can't wait for the development. And hopefully I will hop in the CAPMetro on my way to work when I go back to office...

Old Posted May 14, 2023, 5:26 PM
Austinite

From Dos Salsas restaurant

Old Posted May 14, 2023, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
From Dos Salsas restaurant

Cool pic of the density, but this is screaming for buried lines and new sidewalks.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
Cool pic of the density, but this is screaming for buried lines and new sidewalks.
Exactly. Still waiting on the 2016 bond for corridor improvements to be implemented. Question is, how much longer should we have to wait for that to happen?

https://data.austintexas.gov/stories...ram/gukj-e8fh/

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_jeremy View Post
Exactly. Still waiting on the 2016 bond for corridor improvements to be implemented. Question is, how much longer should we have to wait for that to happen?

https://data.austintexas.gov/stories...ram/gukj-e8fh/
I wouldn't hold your breath. Under the new (old) interim City Manager, Transportation and Public Works were reorganized. The Corridor Program Office was disbanded and the responsibility for construction of the corridor program was transferred to the new Contract Management Department. The leadership there is apparently reviewing the program and delivery strategy, so who knows how long it will take them to get back up to speed.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I wouldn't hold your breath. Under the new (old) interim City Manager, Transportation and Public Works were reorganized. The Corridor Program Office was disbanded and the responsibility for construction of the corridor program was transferred to the new Contract Management Department. The leadership there is apparently reviewing the program and delivery strategy, so who knows how long it will take them to get back up to speed.
Oh, great. At least that explains why the CPO hasn't been getting back to my emails...

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 7:17 PM

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 4:59 PM

Here's my current list of the tallest North Austin projects:

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 5:45 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I may be behind...

1) What happened to "Domain Tower II" (Office, 330', 22 stories)?
2) When did "Brockton GT" go from Residential to Office?
3) What happened to "Domain Block C" (Office, 320', ?? stories)?

Thank you.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
I may be behind...

1) What happened to "Domain Tower II" (Office, 330', 22 stories)?
2) When did "Brockton GT" go from Residential to Office?
3) What happened to "Domain Block C" (Office, 320', ?? stories)?

Thank you.
Domain II is complete which means it is not on this list.

The Brockton GT tower listed is an office tower. There is also an 84' residential building which is not tall enough to list.

I need to add the Block C office tower.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 6:52 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Gracias!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 2:36 PM

I saw this morning that the RBFCU at 11901 1/2 Burnet Rd (just north of Uptown ATX) was being flattened.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin