HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 5:50 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Needless to say Matt Gaetz is one of the particularly repulsive cast of characters in that party that I find solace in knowing will be relegated to the dustbin of history.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 12:16 PM

32-Unit Development That Will Replace Salvation Army Headquarters in DC's West End Gets Key Approval

Nov. 9, 2023
Urban Turf

Rendering courtesy of Urban Turf.

"The plans for the residences that will take the place of the former Salvation Army headquarters in DC's West End neighborhood got a key approval this week.

On Wednesday, DC's Board of Zoning Adjustment (BZA) approved the requested relief for a planned 32-unit condominium project that will take the place of the former headquarters. Velocity Property Management and Chevy Chase-based New Legacy Partners LLC purchased the 34,000-square-foot, five-story Salvation Army building at 2626 Pennsylvania Avenue NW in January..."

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...n_dcs_we/21675

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 8:38 PM

I took these photos the other day of a residential building under construction just north of Audi Field in Buzzard Point.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2023, 6:45 PM

85-Unit Hybrid Lodging Development Pitched For Middle of Chinatown

By Urban Turf
Nov. 20, 2023

"A revised plan is on the boards for a group of five townhouses in the middle of Chinatown.

Back in February, Rift Valley Partners pitched plans for a 47-unit residential development with a hybrid lodging use for the properties at 509-517 H Street NW (map). Designed by Cunningham | Quill, the project has gone through a number of revisions as it makes its way through the historic preservation review process in DC, and the most recently-filed plans are for a nine-story, 85-unit development that is somewhere between a hotel and an apartment building.

The units in the building will range in size from studios to junior two-bedrooms. Amenities will include co-working space, a gym, and a lounge and outdoor terrace on the roof..."

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...hinatown/21709

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 6:37 AM

A lot of these recent proposals are playing it safe. I’d really like to see more elevated design in these projects.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 6:37 PM

A 17-Unit Residential Project Is Planned For Trinidad

Urban Turf
Nov. 27, 2023

"A new residential project is on the boards for a DC neighborhood that hasn't seen much new multifamily development recently.

A four-story, 17-unit building has been pitched for 1725 Montello Avenue in Trinidad. Plans for the new project, designed by Dasol Engineer and Architects, were filed with DC's Board of Zoning Adjustment (BZA) last week.

The development will be made up of one- and two-bedroom apartments, ranging in size from 370 to 825 square feet. The project is permitted as a matter-of-right but the development team is asking for an exception from the parking requirements, as there is no alley access..."

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...trinidad/21718

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 8:03 PM

A New 50-Unit Development Planned Along Rhode Island Avenue

By Urban Turf
Nov. 28, 2023

"A large new residential development has been pitched for Rhode Island Avenue NE.

July Residential has filed plans with DC for a four-story, 50-unit apartment building at 2001 Rhode Island Avenue NE. The site, essentially where the Brookland and Langdon neighborhoods meet, will also include ground-floor retail.

The Bonstra-Haresign designed project will consist of one- and two-bedroom units, with 10% set aside as inclusionary zoning. The property at the address will be razed to make way for the new development. July Residential is looking for special exception relief from DC's Board of Zoning Adjustment (BZA) from the site's parking requirement..."

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...d_avenue/21725

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 12:57 AM

I took this photo of the Stacks development in Buzzard Point the other morning.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 10:15 PM
DENNAB

Is the Amazon HQ still a go? When would that start / I hope they keep the same design.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Is the Amazon HQ still a go? When would that start / I hope they keep the same design.
The Amazon II headquarters is paused, which is especially unfortunate because I own some shares in JBG Smith stock.

https://www.costar.com/article/17580...hood-wondering

Old Posted Dec 10, 2023, 7:16 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
The Amazon II headquarters is paused, which is especially unfortunate because I own some shares in JBG Smith stock.

https://www.costar.com/article/17580...hood-wondering
Didn't realize they stalled their Seattle / Nashville projects too although it sounds like they aren't outright cancelled.

Would love to see those come to fruition.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 4:10 PM

What an absolute disaster for Washington. I don't know what will happen with the Capital One Arena when the Capitals and Wizards depart for Potomac Yard. The WNBA's Mystics and Georgetown's men's and women's basketball teams will presumably continue to play there but that is about 15 games per year for each Georgetown team and aside from the games with Syracuse and Villanova, the crowds Georgetown attracts these days is nowhere near as large as either the Capitals or Wizards.

This is what happens when city officials (I don't want to use the term leaders) allow open-air drug use and drug dealing to continue to persist. The area around the Capital One Arena and Chinatown has really become sad and I can't blame visitors to be worried about their personal safety when they visit.

Personally, as noted above, I own stock in JBG Smith, which owns a lot of real estate in Crystal City and would build the new arena, so I would benefit but this is a complete disaster for DC.

Monumental, Youngkin announce deal to move Caps, Wizards to Virginia

By Michael Brice-Saddler, Jonathan O'Connell, Laura Vozzella, Laris Karklis, Meagan Flynn
13 December 2023
Washington Post

Rendering courtesy of the Washington Post.

"The owner of the Wizards and Capitals has reached a nonbinding arrangement that would move the teams from downtown D.C. to a new arena in Northern Virginia as soon as 2028, potentially upending the regional sports landscape.

Ted Leonsis, owner of Monumental Sports & Entertainment, and Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin (R) appeared together Wednesday at an event in Alexandria's Potomac Yard neighborhood where the terms of the framework were detailed.

"Virginia will not only be the best place to watch hockey — to watch basketball, but it will be the best place to innovate and press the envelope in what we can do together," Youngkin said..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...-potomac-yard/

Last edited by 202_Cyclist; Dec 13, 2023 at 4:51 PM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 9:21 PM

What a horrible idea.

A loss of DC and a loss for Potomac Yard, IMO, one of the areas of the metro attracting tech and white collar jobs. This is simply a bad relocation spot.

DC is discouraging to me lately.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
What a horrible idea.

A loss of DC and a loss for Potomac Yard, IMO, one of the areas of the metro attracting tech and white collar jobs. This is simply a bad relocation spot.

DC is discouraging to me lately.
My JBGS stock is up 12% this afternoon on this news but this is a complete disaster for Washington. DC needs to get crime and public drug use under control or we will continue to have more businesses and amenities close and leave for other locations. As I mentioned, the area around Chinatown and the Capital One Arena is sad and it is not particularly safe for visitors.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 11:29 PM

I expect the public outcry from Alexandria and Arlington to be severe.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 1:26 AM

Matthew Yglesias is completely right here. I am also worried a huge arena is going to sit vacant in one of the most centrally-located areas of the city, atop four metro lines. Shame!

The D.C. arena fiasco shows Bowser has taken her eye off the ball

By Matthew Yglesias
13 December 2023
Washington Post

"Ten or even five years ago, I would have greeted the news that the Wizards and Capitals are departing to a subsidized stadium in the suburbs with a simple "Good riddance."

Not that I wouldn't miss having the teams be a convenient walk or Metro ride from my house near Logan Circle. But economically, the idea of using precious taxpayer funds to subsidize a sports arena just didn't make much sense in the context of an expensive city. Let the building be torn down and replaced with new offices conveniently located near downtown and mass transit, and let the balance of development in places such as NoMa shift in the direction of more apartments and fewer offices. Meanwhile, we could use the money for teachers or cops or parks or anything else.

But under current conditions, the apparently imminent departure of the National Basketball Association and National Hockey League franchises to Alexandria is a fiasco and an indictment of poor leadership from both the D.C. mayor and the D.C. Council..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...-mayor-bowser/

Old Posted Dec 18, 2023, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
My JBGS stock is up 12% this afternoon on this news but this is a complete disaster for Washington. DC needs to get crime and public drug use under control or we will continue to have more businesses and amenities close and leave for other locations. As I mentioned, the area around Chinatown and the Capital One Arena is sad and it is not particularly safe for visitors.
Too many DC leaders are just determined to keep DC ghetto. Soft on crime, forcing "affordable housing" in every development, accepting behavior like from the dirtbike gangs as "DC culture". It just doesn't work. DC is crumbling back to shthole city days. Take that 500M and try to recruit more MPD Officers, who are at their lowest numbers in 50 years, and do it ASAP. Crime is only going to get worse from here.

As far as Cap One, the venue could still be used for concerts and events. Even more so now that thry don't have to compete with the NBA and NHL schedules. For example, a singer on tour might schedule 3 or 4 days at Cap One instead just 1 or 2.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2023, 6:23 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Dec 20, 2023, 9:35 PM

We want our 31 square miles back! National airport, Potomac Yards, and Old Town will once again be part of DC.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2023, 9:38 PM

It is good to see DC growing again after 20,000 residents moving away in 2020 during the pandemic.

2023 Census Data Highlights Continued Population Growth in Washington, DC

"The District is showing strong signs of growth with two consecutive years of population increase, reversing population declines during COVID-19. The growth from 2022 to 2023 is larger than the growth between 2021 and 2022 when the District gained 1,912 people. As of the July 1, 2023, DC’s population was at 678,972, with a population increase of 1.2% year over year. With this increase, DC ranks 7th among all states in terms of population percentage growth from 2022 to 2023..."

https://mayor.dc.gov/release/2023-ce...%20over%20year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations