HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 5:53 PM
TL;DR

^ Or a consolation prize.

There's been broad consensus around this issue for several years. It would have happened sooner if Rahm hadn't asked Obama to wait until the election.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 5:55 PM
The City

No tenants, no problem for Sterling Bay's next project

Quote:
Sterling Bay aims to begin construction by this spring on its nine-story Fulton West development at 1330 W. Fulton Market, said Managing Partner Andy Gloor. The company plans to develop the project on speculation, or “spec,” without any tenant commitments in advance, a rare move in the office sector and a sign of Sterling Bay's confidence in the market.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 6:52 PM

Some Cabrini-area stuff:

847-861 N Larrabee [PDF] received zoning approval last month. Four five-story residential buildings (Axios Architects--yikes).

956 N Larrabee has been cleared of the single-story store that occupied the NE corner. No building permits issued yet, but the zoning amendment needed for the development has already been approved.

1018 N Larrabee was issued a building permit.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 7:09 PM

Also, white windows no more (restored firehouse on Illinois):

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 8:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post

Comedically out of scale with the rest of the neighborhood. Jesus, "architecture" these days...

Also a shame: this will ruin a lot of the character at Belmont and Clark.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 9:01 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^^Actually, you're right on both counts. This is pretty bad, as a building and for the neighborhood - is it just me, or was the earlier design a little better? Perhaps what's killing me looking at this is that ridiculous eave.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 9:12 PM

Out of scale compared to the much larger building (~2x the size) one block away on the corner of Clark and Aldine? Or the loft building near Sheffield and Belmont? Okay.....

Design wise, I agree with you. Scale? Definitely not.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 9:29 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Chicago View Post
Out of scale compared to the much larger building (~2x the size) one block away on the corner of Clark and Aldine? Or the loft building near Sheffield and Belmont? Okay.....

Design wise, I agree with you. Scale? Definitely not.
^ Gotta agree. I would actually have preferred something taller at this intersection.

Definitely beats a Dunkin Donuts parking lot

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 9:40 PM

If you want comedically out of scale, you only have to look a few blocks south to the medical building at Halsted and Wellington. This actually isn't too bad. The height and fenestration is very appropriate with the two Victorian buildings at this corner.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 9:51 PM

Also, comically out of scale with the neighborhood:

Source: DNAinfo Chicago
http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...orthwest-tower

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 10:02 PM

I'm presuming that Tom means the scale of the design elements of the building relative to the historic stock that surrounds it--not the absolute size of the building itself. Whether that's the interpretation of his criticism or not, it's my criticism of it: The windows are visually clustered together to create the illusion that this building is not as many stories as it is, and this was likely done to garner neighbor approval. The irony, of course, being that the impression of the building will be that of a much larger building than had they kept the facade elements proportioned similarly to the surrounding building stock; people don't perceive absolute dimensions of things as much as they perceive relative dimensions, and all of the design elements are going to look grossly ballooned compared to everything nearby.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 10:49 PM

Am I the only one who kinda likes that design?

The original taller version had better proportions, but supposedly this building is supposed to have real terra cotta cladding. It will look really sharp if it is bone white terra cotta and deep blue or smoky black glass...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Am I the only one who kinda likes that design?

The original taller version had better proportions, but supposedly this building is supposed to have real terra cotta cladding. It will look really sharp if it is bone white terra cotta and deep blue or smoky black glass...
I like it too.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
I'm presuming that Tom means the scale of the design elements of the building relative to the historic stock that surrounds it--not the absolute size of the building itself. Whether that's the interpretation of his criticism or not, it's my criticism of it: The windows are visually clustered together to create the illusion that this building is not as many stories as it is, and this was likely done to garner neighbor approval. The irony, of course, being that the impression of the building will be that of a much larger building than had they kept the facade elements proportioned similarly to the surrounding building stock; people don't perceive absolute dimensions of things as much as they perceive relative dimensions, and all of the design elements are going to look grossly ballooned compared to everything nearby.
I don't think they were trying to make the building look half as tall as it actually is, nor will their design really achieve what you are saying. If we believe the rendering, the alternating spandrel panels will only be slightly darker than the main building color, so it's not the same as if they had used glass spandrels. I argue that it gives necessary relief to the building by helping accentuate the verticality and tie some of the facade elements together to avoid a simple grid of punched rectangles.

If anything is problematic on this building, it's the bottom two floors, which do read as too tall and out of touch with the human scale.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
If anything is problematic on this building, it's the bottom two floors, which do read as too tall and out of touch with the human scale.
Other old buildings had those larger ground floors, but they meet it in such a more graceful way. Rather than just massive sheets of glass, which seems to be the default lazy option these days.

http://www.sfimages.com/images/Histo...nt.pos_400.jpg

How did we evolve from that to this? For such a simple building it feels incredibly confused.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 11:09 PM
The City

^ Good point. If this were downtown I wouldn't care as much, but Belmont St in Lakeview does have a good human scale going. Bringing better proportions to the first level should be a priority here.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 11:23 PM

So this is not exactly breaking news, but: has anyone been to the Pete's Fresh Market on Western and Madison? I don't know a ton about the project, except what I've seen having shopped there a couple times. But from that superficial point of view, it seems like an A+ community development project. The whole development is full of businesses, and always busy; the supermarket itself is gorgeous on the inside, and has one of the most diverse clienteles - by income and race - of any grocery store I've been to in the city.

The urban design, of course, leaves a lot to be desired. But otherwise, this seems to have established Madison and Western as a commercially busy corner, blown a giant hole in a food desert, and attracted middle-class whites (and blacks) to a neighborhood they would not previous have gone to, without excluding the existing residents. If the Mariano's at 39th and MLK is as successful, we should be pretty excited.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 11:55 PM
dream fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I like it too.
Am I the only '3rd' one who kinda likes this design? Haters gonna hate...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
I don't think they were trying to make the building look half as tall as it actually is, nor will their design really achieve what you are saying. If we believe the rendering, the alternating spandrel panels will only be slightly darker than the main building color, so it's not the same as if they had used glass spandrels. I argue that it gives necessary relief to the building by helping accentuate the verticality and tie some of the facade elements together to avoid a simple grid of punched rectangles.

I can respect that, but I look at the elevation of the chamfer or the elevations two bays (or, rather, four bays) out from it, and it virtually reads as "four stories" (or, more specifically, four segments--I know as an observer that they aren't floors) even though it is eight (despite the difference in shading for every other spandrel being slight, but the difference does its intended job of pushing the perception in a certain direction through suggestion). The piers are also thicker for every pair of windows on those elevations, and for those areas, I still see six sets of squares surmounting the double-height street-level area, rather than 24 discrete windows. Also, the way that the facades of the wings are treated exacerbates this phenomenon: For the elevations at the northern and western-most portions of the building, they changed the design of the facade every two stories, so the mind perceives the building ascending in four segments. The overall rhythm, then, is composed of too-large elements.

Similar to the Loyola law building downtown but not as severe:

source

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
the top kinda reminds me of a rain gutter

i like the density it will bring to the intersection, but not a fan of the design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development