HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Yeah, I was sort of wrestling with the concept of how this could be more statistically robust, but I don't think there's any reasonable way given the privacy of this information. But to Esquire's point about this, I think what you're saying is the exact reason that places like Assiniboine Landing, Wellington Crescent, Headingly, etc... should top that list. Hell, George Richardson would have made his entire municipality the richest in Manitoba just by virtue of his worth alone.

I think the study is mostly full of shit, to be perfectly candid
I completely agree it's full of shit, but I can see Wellington not making the cut because lots of the houses on the south side are no different than what you'd find anywhere else in RH, and many of them need a LOT of work... leading me to believe those families are just like "normal" folk.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I find it hard to believe that a few of those Tuxedo neighbourhoods belong on Canadian Business' list of 25 wealthiest neighbourhoods in Canada... I mean, given the sheer number of wealthy people in places like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver (and the resulting size of their wealthy neighbourhoods), I would expect the list to be dominated by those cities.

The homes in much of Tuxedo are nice, but by no means palatial... go down Newbury and it looks like the kind of place that maybe a vice president of a reasonably successful SME, or an accounting firm partner might live... prosperous, but not really truly wealthy on a national scale. Or is this just a case of that Winnipeg understatedness where a millionaire is probably more likely to drive a six year old Camry than a new luxury car?
Millionaires who drive Camrys tend to take as much if not more of an issue with paying $15k in property taxes.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I completely agree it's full of shit, but I can see Wellington not making the cut because lots of the houses on the south side are no different than what you'd find anywhere else in RH, and many of them need a LOT of work... leading me to believe those families are just like "normal" folk.
Normal folk who pay $20K in taxes annually

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 2:13 AM

I remember we were having a discussion about the effects of public housing in close proximity to more affluent neighbourhoods.

Interesting article here from CityLab with some compelling findings about how those with resources react to the concept. With the caveats of small sample sizes and single-study reliance firmly in place, the study tends to confirm what others have noted in the past which is almost outright hostility as a default and little in the way of positive assimilation from the higher status group. But even more interestingly, this was really only the case when the differences were obvious. If there was no perceived wealth gap, the groups identified in a positive way.

Anyway, take a read if anybody's interested...

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 8:37 PM

^ I read that last night and ruminated a little on it. It's not entirely convincing in that it doesn't necessarily matter whether or not the wealthier cohort doesn't help or cooperate with the less affluent types.

Looking at a Winnipeg hypothetical, a bunch of families moved from Manitoba Housing in, say, Centennial or Elmwood to a new complex in Bridgwater Forest might not result in those families being invited to their neighbour's cottages for the weekend, but it may have a positive impact in terms of the kids being exposed to fewer negative influences (less crime, gang activity, etc.) and the benefit of being in well resourced schools where there is less strain from high demands.

It still seems worthwhile to me. If you're going to build the complexes anyway, why not spread them out into different types of neighbourhoods instead of concentrating them into small parts of the city?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 3:53 PM

Electile dysfunction

I knew someone would find a name for our election process for this year.

Electile Dysfunction:

The inability to become aroused over any of the choices for PRIME MINISTER

put forth by any party in the 2015 election year!!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 4:22 PM

Anybody notice the paywall is down at the Freep? I assume lack of paying customers and pageviews but is it a temporary thing?( never payed to view it yet).

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 4:27 AM

Realtor Community Preference Survey

This is from the following survey that the US Realtor association commissioned:

NAR & Portland State University: 2015 Community and Transportation Preferences Survey
http://www.realtor.org/reports/nar-2...ference-survey

http://www.realtor.org/infographics/...walks-the-talk

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
This is from the following survey that the US Realtor association commissioned:

NAR & Portland State University: 2015 Community and Transportation Preferences Survey
http://www.realtor.org/reports/nar-2...ference-survey

http://www.realtor.org/infographics/...walks-the-talk
Definitely interesting stuff.

The only thing I might caution about using age as a means for determining people's preferences is that it's probably not as accurate as using somebody's stage in life. Boomers and Gen-Xers at a similar age as Millenials would be right now were well ahead. They were married with children probably ~10 years in advance and their decisions would have reflected that. Millennials, on the other hand, spent more time becoming educated and delayed the sorts of decisions that would ultimately land them in the suburbs. The old '30 is the new 20' type of thing. Not to mention that significant North American population growth has meant that what was once considered suburban living is now considered living within a mature community and most millenials have been priced out of living within these communities; they have to go to a much farther-flung suburb to get the same effect which is now much more inconvenient than it once was.

There's lots to this, and these are interesting statistics, but lots of it has to do with real estate becoming commodotized in the intervening 30 years...

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 2:25 PM

Definitely agree with your analysis - it will be interesting to see what happens as these "Millennials" age and the next generation comes in. Will the trend continue/push to older ages (I hope & assume so) or will things stay the same as they are now, with each younger generation adopting their older generation's habits.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 2:34 PM

This is obviously anecdotal, but within my cohort of thirtysomethings there doesn't seem to be the huge rush to get as far outside the city as possible as there was in the 80s with my parents' circle of friends.

People are still getting married, having families and departing Osborne Village, but in my group it's more common for a family in my circles to move to Wolseley, Old St. B or even Linden Woods as opposed to West St. Paul or Oakbank.

Obviously there is home construction out in exurbia so I know people are still moving out there, but it just doesn't seem to be the same kind of boom or rush to get out there as there once was... by and large, younger people appear more interested in remaining in the city.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 5:33 PM

Quote:
This is obviously anecdotal, but within my cohort of thirtysomethings there doesn't seem to be the huge rush to get as far outside the city as possible as there was in the 80s with my parents' circle of friends.

People are still getting married, having families and departing Osborne Village, but in my group it's more common for a family in my circles to move to Wolseley, Old St. B or even Linden Woods as opposed to West St. Paul or Oakbank.

Obviously there is home construction out in exurbia so I know people are still moving out there, but it just doesn't seem to be the same kind of boom or rush to get out there as there once was... by and large, younger people appear more interested in remaining in the city.
I'm a young guy and I was with a bunch of older folks last week and they were talking about the exact same thing. How while when they were growing up they all wanted the big house in the suburbs with a big yard and yada yada, while their kids now aren't interested in that at all. They were all more partial to saving money and/or having a more central location with more amenities and being able to travel more. And I completely agree, that's how myself and most of my friends think too. Two of my friends have kids and they're very happy not being in the suburbs... if they want to have a big space to play outside with their kids, they go to the park around the corner.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 5:49 PM

Yeah, this is why it's important not to rely upon anecdote for much. The general trends on a North American basis are still quite heavily towards the suburbs.

But to Esquire's point about West St. Paul and Oakbank, there's no question that's true. But I might wonder why. It used to be that you could buy a home at a pretty significant discount in the developing suburbs. That seems to be less and less the case based on the pace of home building these days. Remember - millenials grew up in a time where you could barely move a lot in the early 90's. It took ten years to develop a street. That's not really the case anymore. These subdivisions are fully built out in that time.

Anyway, this is a great conversation. These trends tend to really consume my interests...

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I'm a young guy and I was with a bunch of older folks last week and they were talking about the exact same thing. How while when they were growing up they all wanted the big house in the suburbs with a big yard and yada yada, while their kids now aren't interested in that at all. They were all more partial to saving money and/or having a more central location with more amenities and being able to travel more. And I completely agree, that's how myself and most of my friends think too. Two of my friends have kids and they're very happy not being in the suburbs... if they want to have a big space to play outside with their kids, they go to the park around the corner.
In my office, the only people who live outside the Perimeter are a couple of boomers nearing retirement age.

If anything, the homes outside the city are a better deal than the ones in town. Nearly anyone with a house in the city could afford one outside the city... there are plenty of inexpensive 60s/70s bungalows on big lots for those who want that lifestyle. And of course, some people are doing that... they're just in the minority among my friends. And it's not like I run with some uber-hip gallery-openings-and-indie-music crowd. We're all pretty run of the mill young families.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 3:34 AM
surely you agree with me

yeah, I generally don't pay much attention to these statistics unless they are comparing what each generation did at comparable stages in life.

The studies that do this tend to still indicate a slight shift in values. Car ownership is down for 30 year olds for the first time since the invention of the car as an example.

There are lots of reasons for these kinds of trends that go well beyond desire for an urban lifestyle. $300,000 average homes and $20,000 cars is a big one.

I agree with you simplicity when you say the trend is still overwhelmingly to suburban growth in canada, but I do think urban living is growing faster than it has in the past, at least in the big cities, but is still losing ground as a percentage of the whole.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 1:37 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:

Within our circle of thirty-somethings, living inside city limits is the exception from the rule. Most people from our group are now in Headingley, Oak Bluff and LaSalle.

We are pretty much the lone couple that went "urban" as we got older.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 2:15 PM
North End Troublemaker

Looking at the council meeting agenda for the day I came across this ZAA... This seems so strange to me, why would council ever have a say on something like this, and why would someone ever agree to a ZAA like this.

I'm guessing that this repeal is because Video Cellar is changing hands and will no longer be there.

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/View.../c/2015/a14664

Quote:
The subject zoning agreement dates back to a rezoning in 1991 (DAZ 222/91). The conditions of the zoning agreement relegate the subject site to only be used for video sales. Clause #2 of the agreement states the following:

No use other than a video retail store and uses accessory thereto shall be permitted on the land.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
Looking at the council meeting agenda for the day I came across this ZAA... This seems so strange to me, why would council ever have a say on something like this, and why would someone ever agree to a ZAA like this.

I'm guessing that this repeal is because Video Cellar is changing hands and will no longer be there.

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/View.../c/2015/a14664
How strange. It almost looks like that piece of land was hived off from the parcel that houses the block behind it. I'm guessing same ownership at the time. Sine the rest of the band is RMF, they probably consented to a use that would service the area specifically rather than just a generalized commercial zoning.

Weird stuff, anyway...

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 3:04 PM

http://cjme.com/article/231569/leade...nted-saskatoon

I do not know the 2015 circulation of the Winnipeg, Saskatoon and Regina papers, but I am quite sure it is far less than these 2011 figures and falling fast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...by_circulation

Edit: It will be the first time in 132 years the LP was not printed in Regina. Here is the photo that is part of the Big Bang Theory Intro featuring the BNL song:

Last edited by Stormer; Oct 7, 2015 at 3:15 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 3:41 PM

The Winnipeg Free Press recently switched to a paywall online. Thinking it will bring in revenue. Seems like most sane people just go elsewhere for the latest news. Print edition will be gone in no time.

A tip to bypass the paywall. If you're on Twitter and viewing via mobile device, you can still view all the stories through the Twitter browser. I follow the FreeP, they post links to the articles on Twitter. When you click the link, the paywall doesn't come up. Twitter has it's own web browser type thing that is used. So why the hell would I pay them!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan