HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 12:14 AM

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQySjXlp..._web_copy_link

The proposal was posted on the companies instagram page.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2021, 11:23 PM

The 8 houses on the northeast corner of Scot St and Joe Howe are fenced off for demolition.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 2:13 AM
Halifax Promoter!

What is going up where these 8 houses are going? Any pictures or is there a link?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
The 8 houses on the northeast corner of Scot St and Joe Howe are fenced off for demolition.
Looking at Streetview, I only see 5 houses on the NE side of Scot St. I see another 4 on the E side of Joe Howe that would make for a larger lot. Is the fencing along both streets?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 8:02 PM

There is a project on the DAC tracking list for upcoming projects for that area.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 6:08 PM

When I was watching council discussing Centre Plan Package B earlier this week Waye Mason and Sam Austin referred to a project I had never heard of. They talked of a project with three 30 storey buildings behind the hotel in Dartmouth by the MacDonald Bridge. Sounds like a great place for that much density and can't wait to learn more.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
When I was watching council discussing Centre Plan Package B earlier this week Waye Mason and Sam Austin referred to a project I had never heard of. They talked of a project with three 30 storey buildings behind the hotel in Dartmouth by the MacDonald Bridge. Sounds like a great place for that much density and can't wait to learn more.
Sounds like Harbour Gardens by the Ghosn Group. Not much info but a rendering is on their main site:

https://ghosngroup.ca/

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Sounds like Harbour Gardens by the Ghosn Group. Not much info but a rendering is on their main site:

https://ghosngroup.ca/
Last I heard from that site, it was 1x 35 storey, and a bunch of 6 storeys. When they say "Behind the hotel" I can imagine them repurposing the under-used parking lots to something like this, could easily accommodate 3x 30-storeys:

One can hope, at least. 30 storeys should be the new normal. Maybe one of our fellow users more artistically inclined than I am can put together a better massing model

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
Last I heard from that site, it was 1x 35 storey, and a bunch of 6 storeys. When they say "Behind the hotel" I can imagine them repurposing the under-used parking lots to something like this, could easily accommodate 3x 30-storeys.
Whoa, whoa, whoa - hold on a second here.

First, Ghosn's proposed development has nothing to do with the lands "behind the hotel" shown in your photo. It's on an entirely different site, just north of the bridge, bounded by Wyse, Faulkner, Williams and Lyle.

Second, the parking lots you refer to are anything but "under-used", except perhaps on weekends. As someone whose office was in Metropolitan Place for many years, I can absolutely guarantee that its lots are heavily used, to the point that many people who work there have had to rent space in the Sportsplex lot across the street. In fact, lack of parking was one of the factors in one large (i.e., occupying two entire floors) tenant recently not renewing its lease.

What is it that makes so many posters here think that parking in the Nantucket-Wyse area is abundant? It's the exact freaking opposite!

Last edited by Saul Goode; Aug 19, 2021 at 9:44 PM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa - hold on a second here.

First, Ghosn's proposed development has nothing to do with the lands "behind the hotel" shown in your photo. It's on an entirely different site, just north of the bridge, bounded by Wyse, Faulkner, Williams and Lyle.

Second, the parking lots you refer to are anything but "under-used", except perhaps on weekends. As someone whose office was in Metropolitan Place for many years, I can absolutely guarantee that its lots are heavily used, to the point that many people who work there have had to rent space in the Sportsplex lot across the street. In fact, lack of parking was one of the factors in one large (i.e., occupying two entire floors) tenant recently not renewing its lease.

What is it that makes so many posters here think that parking in the Nantucket-Wyse area is abundant? It's the exact freaking opposite!
1. I know - I was trying to say that unless Harbour Gardens changed from 1x 35 and 6x6 to 3x30, then this could be something else, and these parking lots were the only thing that came to my mind in the area.

2. Unless it's changed in the ~4 years since I've worked in Metro place, it really wasn't that busy... Even if it is as busy as you say it is now, a few floors of underground parking would free up so much desirable land.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 1:30 AM

I checked with Sam about this - He was referencing an ANS article that noted the owners of the Double Tree wanted to add in 3X 30 story towers on the 3 parking lots as noted behind the hotel. I think it's a good spot as long as there is parking.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
Unless it's changed in the ~4 years since I've worked in Metro place, it really wasn't that busy.
I worked there from 2013-2019 and I beg to differ.

I don't know what else to say.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 1:59 AM

Speaking of rumors for that site, check out this excerpt from a 10 June 2021 article in Real Estate News Exchange:

"Manga has eight hotels in the Halifax area, including the DoubleTree by Hilton Halifax Dartmouth.

It also owns the land beside that hotel and is in the midst of building three, 30-storey rental apartment buildings on it that should be completed in 2022. The property, at 20 Best St. and overlooking Halifax Harbour, will have more than 700 units. [I added the boldface]

'Dartmouth and Halifax is a strong market and needs new units, and zoning was available there,' said Toor. 'We’re trying to build apartments with hotel-style amenities, lobbies and experiences.' "

Manga is "in the midst of building" these towers right now? For completion in 2022? Really? Wow.

Full article here: https://renx.ca/manga-hotels-faith-h...ntown-toronto/

Last edited by Saul Goode; Aug 20, 2021 at 9:22 AM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Speaking of rumors for that site, check out this excerpt from a 10 June 2021 article in Real Estate News Exchange:

"Manga has eight hotels in the Halifax area, including the DoubleTree by Hilton Halifax Dartmouth.

It also owns the land beside that hotel and is in the midst of building three, 30-storey rental apartment buildings on it that should be completed in 2022. The property, at 20 Best St. and overlooking Halifax Harbour, will have more than 700 units. [I added the boldface]

'Dartmouth and Halifax is a strong market and needs new units, and zoning was available there,' said Toor. 'We’re trying to build apartments with hotel-style amenities, lobbies and experiences.' "

Really. Wow.

Full article here: https://renx.ca/manga-hotels-faith-h...ntown-toronto/
Geez, good find. This corner alone then has the following proposals:
1x35 storeys - Harbour Gardens?
3x30 storeys - Hotel parking lots
1x20 storeys - Flatiron
6x6 storeys - Harbour Gardens(?)

No real information on the Ghosts' Harbour Gardens except the 2019 article I linked above, which is outdated I guess. They have that new rendering on their site at https://ghosngroup.ca/ but no information

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 12:00 PM

Actually if you look at Google Maps the 3 x 30-storey proposal referenced at 20 Best St has nothing to do with the parking lots for the hotel or Metropolitan Place as far as I can tell. Best St there is a mostly undeveloped dead-end street with a few single homes, flats, and a 1950s 2-storey brick apartment building. It connects to only Windmill Rd right now.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Actually if you look at Google Maps the 3 x 30-storey proposal referenced at 20 Best St has nothing to do with the parking lots for the hotel or Metropolitan Place as far as I can tell.
Exactly.

And I believe Manga does not own the parking lots on the south and west sides of Metropolitan Place (the two outlined in red on the right of mleblanc's photo) anyway, and possibly not the one on the left, either, though my information may be outdated.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Exactly.

And I believe Manga does not own the parking lots on the south and west sides of Metropolitan Place (the two outlined in red on the right of mleblanc's photo) anyway, and possibly not the one on the left, either, though my information may be outdated.
Manga owns the two leftmost lots highlighted in the picture above - the lot on the right is owned by the owners of the Metropolitan Place.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midasmull View Post
Manga owns the two leftmost lots highlighted in the picture above - the lot on the right is owned by the owners of the Metropolitan Place.
Good to know. It wasn't always that way. When Metropolitan Place was developed, everything (i.e., hotel, office tower and all associated parking lots) had common ownership. I wasn't sure how it had all shaken out in the multiple transactions since then.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 6:43 PM

Quote:

Just because a surface parking lot is sometimes full does not mean it is not underused. Any surface parking that exists in an urban setting is considered underused lands as it is not developed to its full potential. This is a prime area for redevelopment and from a planning perspective these surface lots could accommodate these towers in addition to underground parking for the existing office tower and hotel.

I could see the two in the back having an address on Best St. I don't know if all of them, but some of those 1950s era apartments in the back have just been redeveloped with new windows and I'm assuming full interior renos. They won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Just because a surface parking lot is sometimes full does not mean it is not underused. Any surface parking that exists in an urban setting is considered underused lands as it is not developed to its full potential.
From a land use and planning perspective, sure, no doubt. I should have looked at it from that angle before reacting as I did. I was just remembering the irritation of the lot being jammed fairly regularly.

Quote:
This is a prime area for redevelopment and from a planning perspective these surface lots could accommodate these towers in addition to underground parking for the existing office tower and hotel..
Again, no doubt.

Quote:
I could see the two in the back having an address on Best St.
They do. They're one consolidated lot with the civic address 20 Best.

Last edited by Saul Goode; Aug 21, 2021 at 1:06 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth