HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 5:50 PM
BANNED

What about buying a condo on the top floor Scaper? They appear on the market occasionally. Besides, do you know how popular you would suddenly become with people like me at this site?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 5:03 PM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Thanks Phil. I would love to have a rooftop condo one day. Can't afford it yet though. I imagine a condo like that would be in the millions.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2021, 5:55 PM

Hmm, you make it sound like Phil showing up at your patio would be a good thing.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2021, 5:38 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden West View Post
Hmm, you make it sound like Phil showing up at your patio would be a good thing.
Hahaha... now you have me rethinking.

I went downtown tonight and took some photos. I've not done that in so long. It was a really nice break from my work and It was a fun outing. I thought I'd share some of my photos from tonight. I'll share a few more tomorrow evening.

Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 2:46 PM

Great photos. In particular I like how the new Customs House condo is coming along.

In some ways it was an impossible task to create a major piece of new architecture amidst the Rattenburys that make up one of the world's most impressive architectural groupings but this project fits right in without imitating it like much of Songhees did across the harbour.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 9:18 PM

Awesome photos as usual!

Just disappointed at the type of roof cladding they are using at the Customs House. It certainly looks cheap compared to the heritage buildings surrounding it. Very unbecoming for such a prime location.

The rest of the building looks fine although I'm still sore about losing the 50s addition, which I have always thought very fitting for this location.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 12:52 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Quote:
Great photos. In particular I like how the new Customs House condo is coming along.

In some ways it was an impossible task to create a major piece of new architecture amidst the Rattenburys that make up one of the world's most impressive architectural groupings but this project fits right in without imitating it like much of Songhees did across the harbour.

Thanks Holden. I also really like the new Customs House condo and how it's looking. I'm not a real fan of most of the old Songhees developments. I do like the new Bayview towers though other than they all look the same. I think they would have looked better if they had differed a little bit from each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Awesome photos as usual!

Just disappointed at the type of roof cladding they are using at the Customs House. It certainly looks cheap compared to the heritage buildings surrounding it. Very unbecoming for such a prime location.

The rest of the building looks fine although I'm still sore about losing the 50s addition, which I have always thought very fitting for this location.

Thanks Vin... I also liked the old building that was there too. I was surprised that they were allowed to tear it down. I'm going to wait and see how the Custom House will look when completed. I told Zoomer on Flickr that I am surprised as to how long it is taking to be built. Taking for ever.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 5:09 PM

The previous building was just a lame 1990s reclad of the even lamer 1950s building that replaced the magnificent 1890s building. The 1950s building was probably the most extreme example of that post-1945 Victorian effort to introduce supreme blandness into the old town/downtown area. That's what the 1990s reclad was all about: it was a better-late-than-never effort to try to undo some of the damage.

Quote:
From https://customshouse.ca/history

"The 'Friends of Victoria' viewed the first (1988 refurbishment) proposal as "abominable" and commissioned an architect to envision a recreation of the original facade. They stated "It is time to make amends for the heritage violation wreaked by Ottawa decades ago and provide once again a grand stately entrance to Victoria's charming old town."

"By 1992 the federal government had refurbished the facade with controversial heritage-like fiberglass siding, pediments and finials. A 2014 Conservation Plan noted "the 1956-57 building is not considered historic and will be demolished." The building was demolished in 2018.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aastra View Post
The previous building was just a lame 1990s reclad of the even lamer 1950s building that replaced the magnificent 1890s building. The 1950s building was probably the most extreme example of that post-1945 Victorian effort to introduce supreme blandness into the old town/downtown area. That's what the 1990s reclad was all about: it was a better-late-than-never effort to try to undo some of the damage.
If anything the 1988 facade alteration proposal plan looks the nicest. The current replacement is an abomination to the original post office that burnt to the ground. The roof area should have been designed with a neo-classical cornice instead of the cheap-looking metal cladding.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 10:22 PM

I'd say the new building is one of the very few modern buildings in the inner harbour milieu that actually demonstrates a legitimate understanding and acknowledgement of its setting. Very refreshing to my eye, like a return to the glory days.

FYI: the 1890s post office building did not burn to the ground. It suffered a fire in 1937 but remained in use through the 1940s and early 1950s. In the late 1950s it was demolished and replaced with a modern office block. Some modern Victorians like to claim it was in a state of extreme disrepair but photographs in the years prior to its demolition suggest otherwise. Here's a high-resolution picture from 1946. You can zoom in on the upper left corner to see the condition of the building a full decade after the fire.

The modern office block was controversial even before it was built:

Quote:
Daily Colonist
February 11, 1956

Building Plan "Spoils View"

The building now planned by the federal government on the site of the old post office on Government street would detract from the appearance of the inner harbor, the Capital Region Planning Board said yesterday.

The board proposed that the government should study the question further before proceeding with construction...

The building will house the customs and immigration departments.

"Earlier this year the Capital Region Planning Board considered the proposal of the federal government to demolish half of the old post office building and to reconstruction thereon a new building covering 100 per cent of the site. It is the opinion of the board that the project as presently conceived will detract from the appearance of the inner harbor and that it will be most unfortunate if it proceeds without further study.

...the board was essentially opposed to the design of the new building, not the site...

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 10:25 PM

That 1946 pic also shows us the fine Government St. building that was eventually knocked down for the Harbour Square mall complex.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 10:30 PM

Quote:
...that actually demonstrates a legitimate understanding and acknowledgement of its setting...
By this I mean it's not imitating anything, nor is it trying to be faux or pretentious, nor is it trying to be invisible, nor is it giving the proverbial middle finger to its surroundings. Instead it just fits in (imagine that!), by being another distinctive and fine building in an array of distinctive and fine buildings.

Last edited by aastra; Aug 27, 2021 at 1:21 AM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 6:30 PM

Yes, it has a tangible depth to it that gives it a feeling of weight and authenticity. Compare with Scaper's photo of the pancake-flat Bay Centre, it looks faker than one of his plastic models. Kudos to the architect on this one, I feel it will age well.

And Chard's Sovereign on Broughton has settled in well, despite it's gaping parking entrance.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 8:09 PM

Looking north:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@48.42303...7i13312!8i6656
From Government Street:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@48.42344...7i13312!8i6656

I don't think the previous building was ugly. It was quite plain but it did fit the surrounding areas. The only thing which it lacked were nice cast-iron window frames, or french windows. Add some Juliet balconies and the entire facade would've been transformed. The ground floor could be knocked open for boutique shops.

Not saying that the new building is all bad, the general architecture is beautiful. I just don't like the roof. All that effort could have been used to replace many other uglier modern buildings in Victoria, such as the following:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@48.42349...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 9:18 PM

Office buildings for Douglas Street beside the Crystal Garden and Blanshard Street on the Capitol 6 property:

Concept image for the Capital Iron properties (pic from Times-Colonist):

Rental building at Pandora and Vancouver:

Mod Victoria at Cook and View (pic from www.modvictoria.com):

Yates Street London Drugs redevelopment (pic from www.vicnews.com):

Yates Street Dodge dealership redevelopment (pic from www.timescolonist.com):

Herald at Government:

Esquimalt town centre:

Residential highrise at Uptown:

Last edited by aastra; Aug 27, 2021 at 10:01 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 9:55 PM

I'm gobsmacked at that Capital Iron proposal. I've been praying for those properties to be redeveloped but that's a lot to contemplate. It appears they intend to ignore the industrial aesthetic tone set by the neighbouring existing heritage and the new Ironwood condo.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 10:06 PM

It's called Ironworks, isn't it? Or were you paying it a compliment?

Yeah, I'm not seeing much "old town" in that concept. Victorians have tried to force at least some red brick on almost every new development since 1945, and yet there doesn't seem to be a trace of it on this project. And yet if ever there was a project that should have some, you'd think it would be this one.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 3:55 AM

Ironworks, that's it.

I guess my concern with the Capital Iron site and I guess this is the windmill I'm always tilting at is that you have Rock Bay with its brick and corrugated iron and the City design guidelines reflect that, then on the other end of town you've got Harris Green with its funky eclectic vibe. Then you've got this project and the proposed London Drugs mega project and they are completely interchangeable.

Now, the architect would rebut me by saying architecture should reflect its time, not its outdated neighbours and that a district should be defined by great architecture, not phony themes.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 4:37 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Quote:

Yes, it has a tangible depth to it that gives it a feeling of weight and authenticity. Compare with Scaper's photo of the pancake-flat Bay Centre, it looks faker than one of his plastic models. Kudos to the architect on this one, I feel it will age well.

And Chard's Sovereign on Broughton has settled in well, despite it's gaping parking entrance.
Are my models really that fake looking? hahaha... I've almost finished a new one. I should have it done by the weekend. Such a fun hobby.

Such awesome proposals... I love the Telus office building. I think it's going to look awesome. Same with the Capital 6 office building. The Capital 6 movie theater building is one of my least favorite buildings in the city. I'm also excited about the 20 story hotel proposed on Blanshard too. I also hope that the London Drugs site gets approved for 32 stories. Ten years ago who would have ever thought a 30 story building could be built in Victoria. Finally I also really like the Capital Iron concept. I think it looks great...Zoomer was making some comments the other day I believe on Flickr how he hated the Value Village building. It was regarding this photo I took in June from the Bay Street Bridge...
Victoria B.C. Canda by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 5:20 AM

Nice golden glow there GS.

Yes, I hate Value Village. Who the heck owns that? Shirley.. that site must be worth a fortune and can be put to far better use. Not to mention it looks horrible right along the harbour there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia