HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 24, 2015, 3:38 AM
I am a typical

It's hard to believe it's been over 11 years since I started posting here. The last 6 years have gone by a lot faster than the first 5 did.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 5:54 PM

Are we sure we want to rush to build all this highway capacity with free flow traffic in all directions?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle24637389/

Quote:
The plan is for an autonomous vehicle corridor along Route 83, which runs north-south through Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota and North Dakota. The road then continues into Manitoba.
Autonomous vehicles would greatly reduce the need for extra lanes and free flowing intersections, I would imagine.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Are we sure we want to rush to build all this highway capacity with free flow traffic in all directions?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle24637389/

Autonomous vehicles would greatly reduce the need for extra lanes and free flowing intersections, I would imagine.
Good point in the long run, but we will have dumb vehicles on the road for at least another 25 years and perhaps indefinitely. I guess new high speed corridors could ban dumb vehicles eventually and be like the robot highway in the article.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
It's hard to believe it's been over 11 years since I started posting here. The last 6 years have gone by a lot faster than the first 5 did.
You used to get heavy into the discussions a while back? Then again I'm not following the forum as much as I used to so you still may be posting frequently, you always had a great counter point to many discussions..

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 1:08 AM
I am a typical

No, I posted a lot of shit and got suspended a bunch of times.

I was a kid! Back then I didn't even think I'd make it to 21 years old, let alone 26. I remember posting about how "I'm finally old enough to drive!"

There are kids driving today who don't remember 9/11.

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 3:23 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:

I was a kid! Back then I didn't even think I'd make it to 21 years old, let alone 26. I remember posting about how "I'm finally old enough to drive!"

It will be 12 years for me come November.

I don't post as much anymore, but still keep track on major goings on, and this place is prime for city infrastructure happenings and politics that I like to keep track of.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 4:06 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

At forks dance party on the padio

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 6:29 PM

I am amazed by how many Americans there are wandering around the city for the Women's World Cup. There are probably more of them here than there are Rider fans on Banjo Bowl weekend... I don't remember seeing this many out of towners here since the 1999 Pan Am Games.

It's great that they're here... aside from stimulating the local economy, the truth is you'd never know the WWC was going on if it weren't for all the US visitors wandering around in their Team USA jerseys.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 6:51 PM
arf

Quote:
Ah, the good old days.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 7:08 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I am amazed by how many Americans there are wandering around the city for the Women's World Cup. There are probably more of them here than there are Rider fans on Banjo Bowl weekend... I don't remember seeing this many out of towners here since the 1999 Pan Am Games.

It's great that they're here... aside from stimulating the local economy, the truth is you'd never know the WWC was going on if it weren't for all the US visitors wandering around in their Team USA jerseys.
I went to the zoo on Sunday and it was nuts. So many U of M Gophers, Fighting Sioux, and other what I would consider American apparel on everyone. It was crazy how busy it was, and how many of the people there were american families (and a few of the US women's team).

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 7:11 PM

^ Haha, Americans do love clothing that identifies their home state.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 7:26 PM

Quote:

Well, I've just been posting for just over 2 years on this forum, so I never new your age or past posting history before 2013, people can change dramatically over the time period you've been on this site....

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 7:47 PM

Quote:

Well you can thank the stadium being at U of M for that. I'm sure that in places with central stadiums like Vancouver and Edmonton, the downtowns are crazy.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Well you can thank the stadium being at U of M for that. I'm sure that in places with central stadiums like Vancouver and Edmonton, the downtowns are crazy.
The downtown is (kind of) crazy... but it's all people in USA jerseys responsible for that. The people in WWC gear I've seen are repping roughly 97% USA, 3% AUS/SWE/NGR. I have not seen a single person wearing Team Canada gear.

There would have been way more excitement had Canada had its group games here, but the reality is that only two teams can whip up major fan enthusiasm... Canada and the USA, and Winnipeg lucked out with the latter.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 9:08 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
The downtown is (kind of) crazy... but it's all people in USA jerseys responsible for that. The people in WWC gear I've seen are repping roughly 97% USA, 3% AUS/SWE/NGR. I have not seen a single person wearing Team Canada gear.

There would have been way more excitement had Canada had its group games here, but the reality is that only two teams can whip up major fan enthusiasm... Canada and the USA, and Winnipeg lucked out with the latter.
Something to laugh at... I heard a bunch of the Americans came downtown for a tour of the CMHR today before the game but it's closed because it's in it "Fall/Winter hours". Funny enough their "Spring/Summer" hours don't start until after Canada Day, and run until Labour Day. That's 2 Months for Spring/Summer.

On another note, it's quite a nice Winter day out today.

Last edited by steveosnyder; Jun 8, 2015 at 9:23 PM. Reason: I can't count

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
Something to laugh at... I heard a bunch of the Americans came downtown for a tour of the CMHR today before the game but it's closed because it's in it "Fall/Winter hours". Funny enough their "Spring/Summer" hours don't start until after Canada Day, and run until Labour Day. That's 3 Months for Spring/Summer.

On another note, it's quite a nice Winter day out today.
Wow... talk about missing the bus. You have all these tourists and one of the attractions that was supposed to draw in visitors is closed? Oh well.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 9:22 PM
North End Troublemaker

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...306526511.html

City worried about Convention Centre Expansion paying back it's loan... The best quote from the whole thing is this one:

Quote:
Silver said that without another hotel of that quality, the convention centre won’t be able to attract the new business needed to repay the city loan.
Bob Silver must really have his head in the sand... Conventions have been a dying model for a while, just ask some of the large American cities that funded large convention centres.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepomanYWG View Post
Wow... talk about missing the bus. You have all these tourists and one of the attractions that was supposed to draw in visitors is closed? Oh well.
Well, it's closed Mondays but so are a lot of major museums, galleries and whatnot. I'm used to having to make special plans for Mondays when I'm on vacation as you typically have fewer options than normal. I certainly wouldn't single out the CMHR in that regard.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...306526511.html

City worried about Convention Centre Expansion paying back it's loan... The best quote from the whole thing is this one:

Bob Silver must really have his head in the sand... Conventions have been a dying model for a while, just ask some of the large American cities that funded large convention centres.
Bob Silver could only charitably be described as having even a passive involvement with the Convention Center. This is very easily ascribed to toeing the party line.

The question is which financial institution is going to agree to having payments suspended on a loan for tens of millions of dollars that's underwriting an institution of which the board is openly acknowledging has virtually no hope of meeting its repayment obligations. The answer is that there isn't one.

I thought for sure the Convention Center needed at least a couple years to hang the threat of default over the administration's head. It didn't even take until the end of construction.

ETA: I mentioned this last week and now the city is effectively copping to it in its report. It's looking more and more like the TIF revenue from 220 Carlton that was supposed to repay the $17MM from the city is now going to be heading into the hands of True North. In other words, the true cost of the land at 220 Carlton to the city is not just the $7MM+ to acquire and demolish it, but another $17MM in financing that was supposed to be serviced through its taxable capacity. Go Jets Go.

Last edited by Simplicity; Jun 9, 2015 at 12:33 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 12:09 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

how long is the term of the loan they could just take longer to pay

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan