HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 6:45 PM
Hmm....

Corner of Scarth and Victoria in downtown Regina:

Source = Adrian Halter's Twitter Feed

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 7:39 PM

3 pictures from Sherbrooke taken this morning, pretty cold around here for the 24th of March. Notice the crane in the first pic, 12 stories building coming out of the ground soon

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 9:14 PM

Wow!! Very nice shots last couple page, those Winnipeg shots are absolutely fantastic. I really like the one with the orange sky. Fantastic. Hopefully the next few towers that are going up currently changes things a bit.

Also hope that new tallest gets built, will be nice to have some height elsewhere downtown other than the Portage & Main towers / Fort garry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Nice shot! But unfortunately just shows how little of a downtown Winnipeg has outside Portage...

I mean, this almost looks like Regina or Saskatoon (cities a quarter of Winnip's size).
Well, to be fair Winnipeg's downtown is very spread out. It actually has one of the largest areas for a downtown in Canada...approximately 3 square kilometers, and that does not include Osbourne or west end or anything "additional" being factored into that.

By comparison, Ottawa and Calgary both have an official downtown area of approximately 1.2-1.3 sq km each. Downtown Edmonton about 2.3 square km.

Winnipeg downtown might not be very dense (and it isn't) but its really spread out and very "square-ish" in area.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 9:26 PM
ARTchitecture

Hmmm, I dunno about that. You're only talking about our downtown commercial core with 1.3 sq. km. Contiguous parts of downtown other than the CBD include Chinatown (0.2 sq. km), Eau Claire (0.4 sq. km), and Prince's Island Park (0.2 sq. km) totalling around 2.2 sq. km. and the Beltline is definitely part of our downtown, not just "part of the inner city" at 2.2 sq. km, for a grand total downtown area of 4.4 sq. km. Not sure about Ottawa, but there is certainly more to their downtown then their commercial core, just as there is to Winnipeg's and Edmonton's.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Wow!! Very nice shots last couple page, those Winnipeg shots are absolutely fantastic. I really like the one with the orange sky. Fantastic. Hopefully the next few towers that are going up currently changes things a bit.

Also hope that new tallest gets built, will be nice to have some height elsewhere downtown other than the Portage & Main towers / Fort garry.

Well, to be fair Winnipeg's downtown is very spread out. It actually has one of the largest areas for a downtown in Canada...approximately 3 square kilometers, and that does not include Osbourne or west end or anything "additional" being factored into that.

By comparison, Ottawa and Calgary both have an official downtown area of approximately 1.2-1.3 sq km each. Downtown Edmonton about 2.3 square km.

Winnipeg downtown might not be very dense (and it isn't) but its really spread out and very "square-ish" in area.
I've tried looking for those stats before for Canadian and American cities before. What source do you use for those values, or did you calculate it yourself?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 10:12 PM

That Winnipeg's orange sky picture is just spectacular.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Here's a webcam view from today. The TD crane is now a couple of segments taller:

Source
I love how Halifax's downtown is built right up to the water, just like lower Manhattan or Hong Kong. That makes it look like a city of over a million people.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Hmmm, I dunno about that. You're only talking about our downtown commercial core with 1.3 sq. km. Contiguous parts of downtown other than the CBD include Chinatown (0.2 sq. km), Eau Claire (0.4 sq. km), and Prince's Island Park (0.2 sq. km) totalling around 2.2 sq. km. and the Beltline is definitely part of our downtown, not just "part of the inner city" at 2.2 sq. km, for a grand total downtown area of 4.4 sq. km. Not sure about Ottawa, but there is certainly more to their downtown then their commercial core, just as there is to Winnipeg's and Edmonton's.
I could be wrong about the actual data. I did mean what the city legally defines as downtown (as per the CDA). Otherwise downtown is purely subjective. Its like how to many people Winnipeg downtown is just the portage & main and south portage area, which itself is small relative to the legally defined borders (for example the exchange, forks, chinatown, central park, colony area just to name a few are part of downtown winnipeg)

Calgary downtown is bordered by Bow River to the north (so yes you're right to include Eau Claire & China town) and 9th Ave to the south (so beltline is officially not part of downtown, just as in Winnipeg osbourne, which is basically a short bridge away from the core, is also not included) and its 9 St SW to 3 st SE length-wise. Google maps draws downtown Calgary larger, going to 14st Sw all the way to basically the end of 9th ave before the bridge into inglewood

I would say thats stretching it a bit, as I drive down 14th St SW almost every day. Its on the fringe, and there are still city centre signs on 14th st sw (just like including west broadway in downtown winnipeg, which it isn't according to city zoning; further osbourne isn't part of downtown winnipeg either so those osbourne towers aren't technically in downtown even though they show up on the skyline, the human rights museum is technically more a part of downtown than they are! strange eh)

The core of Calgary downtown is already defined by the city, legally as per the Calgary Downtown Association (and has been since 1988...perhaps those boundaries are now a bit archaic I may agree with you there to an extent) as I feel the east and west ends are becoming more and more associated with the core as development spreads out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middeljohn View Post
I've tried looking for those stats before for Canadian and American cities before. What source do you use for those values, or did you calculate it yourself?
I referred to Wikipedia, truthfully.

There is a member on this site named chrisallard who did a very, very detailed and in depth boundary of all of Winnipeg's neighbourhoods. He was very good at figuring out areas, and if he was on he could certainly help out with more calculated numbers. The area he defined is essentially what the city of Winnipeg defines as "legally" downtown (https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...324&dg=feature) is his map

He is really great at figuring this stuff out, but doesn't frequent SSP much anymore.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 4:14 PM
ARTchitecture

The Beltline is part of downtown Calgary. Osbourne isn't comparable as it only has one connection to downtown Winnipeg, while the Beltline is completely contiguous, having five direct underpass connections and one grade connection. Heck, the Beltline alone has the office space of a major city at around 10 million sq. ft. And a population coming up on 20 000. That is akin to saying the Southcore/harbourfront of Toronto isn't part of downtown. Osborne is akin to Mission, or Kensington, which most people still consider part of downtown, but they are removed enough that they can be considered a separate entity.

My overall point though, is that Winnipeg most certainly does not have a significantly larger downtown relative to other large cities just because the City of Winnipeg chooses to delineate the borders a different way.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 4:50 PM

Quote:
The Beltline is part of downtown Calgary. Osbourne isn't comparable as it only has one connection to downtown Winnipeg, while the Beltline is completely contiguous, having five direct underpass connections and one grade connection. Heck, the Beltline alone has the office space of a major city at around 10 million sq. ft. And a population coming up on 20 000. That is akin to saying the Southcore/harbourfront of Toronto isn't part of downtown. Osborne is akin to Mission, or Kensington, which most people still consider part of downtown, but they are removed enough that they can be considered a separate entity.
I'll admit I've always considered the Beltline to be a distinct neighbourhood from downtown--directly adjacent to it, but separate, with the rail line along 9th Avenue delineating the "bottom" of downtown. (Rather than consider it like Toronto's South Core, I'd liken it to King or Queen Street, west of University--no longer "downtown," but a very central neighbourhood often referred to as "downtown.)

The Beltline has a growing amount of office uses, making the northern parts of it a bit more downtown-y, but they're still separate areas--in my head, anyway.

That's unlike Eau Claire and Chinatown, which feel like parts of downtown.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 6:56 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Taken by me, this afternoon:
[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 10:30 PM
Rational urbanist

Well the City of Vancouver doesn't consider the West End to be downtown, although many consider it to be. It's completely arbitrary and really not a big deal

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 3:36 AM

Quote:

My overall point though, is that Winnipeg most certainly does not have a significantly larger downtown relative to other large cities just because the City of Winnipeg chooses to delineate the borders a different way.
I think we are just looking at it from two different perspectives. You raise a good point though in bringing the Toronto example up. The beltline certainly feels like an extension of the downtown core when you go through it. There is lots of office activity and height there as well. Also, the beltline is considered a part of "Calgary City Centre" - officially, which the City of Calgary recognizes. So that supports your point too.

But where I was coming from was more the description of what each city legally claims as zoned downtown boundaries. What the City of Winnipeg chooses to label its downtown is larger than the zone specifically defined as downtown Calgary. They do distinguish "downtown" from the beltline, and in some cases even from Eau Clare, east & west ends and chinatown too. (Which is why I said the city may need to re-check their definition). Winnipeg's zone is so big for a city its size, because back in the day I think city officials of that time thought Winnipeg would also be larger. At least, that's my thought on why its so spread out.

But really, what's the difference between "downtown" and "city centre"? they seem like interchangeable words to me. I was just being overly specific, and might be coming off as a bit of a twad over the internet with the focus on the schematics but I don't mean to be like that exactly - just a clarification as to where I was coming from.

And on that note, everyone coming into this thread expecting new images relevant to the thread title are probably cursing my username right about now so I won't clarify any further.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 9:12 PM
Ham-burgher

The latest Tim Hortons Field construction pics contain a view of Hamilton's skyline from inside the structure. This angle doesn't get displayed as much as others.

Source page

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 2:04 PM

2008_10_12 par ccpoirier, sur Flickr

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 6:07 PM

Here's some shots of Hamilton I took last weekend when I was testing the camera on my new phone. They turned out pretty good considering I was about 7 kilometers from downtown. I took them from the Old Guelph Road lookout...

Source: My Photo

Larger Size:

Source: My Photo

Larger Size:

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 6:10 PM
ARTchitecture

Yellowknife, Northwest Territories

http://traveltrade.spectacularnwt.co...other-packages

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 8:05 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

If only all our cities could have that level of skyline proportionately.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 5:53 PM

Great pic of Yellowknife!!!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 9:36 PM
ARTchitecture

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada