HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 3:24 AM

This Denverite article actually gives a bit more detail on the scope of the project, in addition to those "splash" images that were on the 7 segment.

https://www.denverite.com/records-sh...-denver-50168/

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
This Denverite article actually gives a bit more detail on the scope of the project, in addition to those "splash" images that were on the 7 segment.

https://www.denverite.com/records-sh...-denver-50168/
Interesting. So again I'd ask the question - is that all they want to leave for a park?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 2:37 PM
sidewalkin'

Rossonian...again....again

Rossonian redevelopments have been proposed almost as many times as T2.
https://businessden.com/2018/04/02/r...901#newsletter

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Wow..... No April fools here....

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...denver-skyline

"The River Mile plan calls for a 59-story hotel and other mixed-use buildings clocking in at 51, 49, and 46 stories, according to the plan obtained by Denver7."

The video has a brief splash of what looks like a document submitted to the city outlining their vision fully built out over Elitchs. I wonder if this is publicly available anywhere?
Found the article via their Facebook page. I read the comments...oh God, why did I read the comments?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Northfield in Stapleton needs another 400-600 apartment units built on some of the existing parking lots. If Stapleton ain’t gonna have neighborhood retail it can at least have some more faux Main Street crap.
Agreed... but from my house in Eastbridge, I can walk to the Stanley, the town center and the rec center. I've become rather happy with my "walkability".

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COtoOC View Post
Agreed... but from my house in Eastbridge, I can walk to the Stanley, the town center and the rec center. I've become rather happy with my "walkability".
Yeaah, Northfield's main street is fine. But it feels like you're walking through a movie set where you know just on the other side is the bleak reality.

Thankfully, some of the land between Northfield and CPB will get developed, but I'm still fearful it'll be one building surrounded by a field of parking on each lot.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
Yeaah, Northfield's main street is fine. But it feels like you're walking through a movie set where you know just on the other side is the bleak reality.

Thankfully, some of the land between Northfield and CPB will get developed, but I'm still fearful it'll be one building surrounded by a field of parking on each lot.
I'm kind of surprised they haven't built more in Northfield. I think the Orchard town center up north is much nicer, once you're actually in it (it's still surrounded by a mall's worth of parking lots). For some reason, I thought Northfield had plans to add another "Main St." along the street to the east of the current one. But with all the home and now a couple hotels being nearby, the place is always busy.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COtoOC View Post
I'm kind of surprised they haven't built more in Northfield. I think the Orchard town center up north is much nicer, once you're actually in it (it's still surrounded by a mall's worth of parking lots). For some reason, I thought Northfield had plans to add another "Main St." along the street to the east of the current one. But with all the home and now a couple hotels being nearby, the place is always busy.
Isn't the lot south of Central Park Station intended to be the de-facto downtown for Stapleton? That is where much higher densities than anything else currently in Stapleton make the most sense.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 7:53 PM

I swear... I did not make this up

https://www.denverite.com/massive-co...t-along-49990/
Quote:
With all of that, plus rising development costs associated with Denver’s new green roof initiative, she said Aurora will look all the more attractive to prospective homeowners.

People who might have considered moving to Denver, Johnston said, “May just want to go a few miles down the road to Aurora.”
Ironically, since the first of the year I've read a number of articles suggesting Denver is becoming more of a 'primary' tech city (as opposed to everything is a bit techy now-a-days). So long as jobs are gravitating to downtown Denver then so will both commercial and residential 'rooftops.'

Should more development (finally) sprout up around DIA that's also a good thing. We're not playing a zero sum game here.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
Isn't the lot south of Central Park Station intended to be the de-facto downtown for Stapleton? That is where much higher densities than anything else currently in Stapleton make the most sense.
I think this is dead on. Though I am curious what RTD's long-term plans for the three lots immediately south of Smith Rd are. RTD's TOD master-plan shows this ultimately being developed, and it seems like they'd be stupid not to redevelop any surface-lot that they can (proceeds from the sale of the real estate can go toward a new parking structure), but then again, it's hard to ever figure out if they have any long term organizational plan at all.

The lots south of 37th are owned by the City and County of Denver, so presumably those will definitely get developed. Factor in the Quebec Square real estate for future development, and this would absolutely be the logical place for Stapleton's main "downtown."

As for Northfield - I was just looking at an assessor's map and was disappointed to see that "Uinta, Verbena, 48th, 47th, and 46th Streets" are not actually city ROW, though they have carved out some legal parcels around the four corners of the parking-lot intersections for future development. The design of the interior streets seems to indicate the desire to add future density, but I suppose that will depend entirely on the desires of the corporate landowner when the time for redevelopment comes. With its site plan, it's not that hard to imagine the big-box retail on the perimeter of the site being redeveloped to high-density residential without the need to tear the entire mall down. It may just require some creative architecture to make it work, and perhaps regulatory changes to things like parking minimums.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
Yes. From the plans I've seen, it should be a decent project. I think Spouts is supposed to break ground there fairly soon. But overall, it's supposed to be actual TOD, not faux-urban suburban.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 1:45 AM

Does anyone know why the exterior lighting on 1144 and the Conference is ran so infrequently? I just got my first dslr and was hoping to grab a shot of the two of those together.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 4:08 AM

Speaking of the confluence, does anyone know what’s going on with the top? It looks unfinished and really detracts from the look of the building

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 4:23 PM

The former Qwest building (1801 California St) sells for 285 mil:
http://www.9news.com/article/money/b...n/73-534568196

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 4:41 PM

Love the final version of the Circa Building highlighted in the latest Denver Infill update.

https://denverinfill.com/blog/2018/0...al-update.html

Platte Street has really been transformed. Anyone know the plans for the remaining open parking lots? (the lot next to Denver Beer, the lot next to Riverview).

Also, although Commons Park West was a welcome island of development back when they were built (in the Dark Ages), now they are more of an eyesore. Not highest an best use! (though doubtlessly profitable). I sure wish something of higher quality had been (or will someday be) built there.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
Also, although Commons Park West was a welcome island of development back when they were built (in the Dark Ages), now they are more of an eyesore. Not highest an best use! (though doubtlessly profitable). I sure wish something of higher quality had been (or will someday be) built there.
Actually, Commons Park West was always an eyesore and I disliked them the moment they were built. I actually think that the current paint job is an improvement. But, they can only be salvaged with a major makeover.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
Does anyone know why the exterior lighting on 1144 and the Conference is ran so infrequently? I just got my first dslr and was hoping to grab a shot of the two of those together.
Denver has been cracking down hard on improperly permit exterior lighting recently. Just a guess, but I would not be surprised if both buildings were told to turn off the lights until they permit.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr8364 View Post
Actually, Commons Park West was always an eyesore and I disliked them the moment they were built. I actually think that the current paint job is an improvement. But, they can only be salvaged with a major makeover.

It would be a premier location for a high end condo development. Given that they've just spend a lot of money on refurbishment, that' ain't happening any time soon.

Perhaps in the next big cycle - 10 years from now - with River Mile developing nearby, the whole site can be scraped and redeveloped with something of high quality.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 6:53 PM

The Hirshorn Park view plane (https://www.denvergov.org/content/da...shorn_Park.pdf) will limit the height of the northeast building to the same height we have now, so replacing a bunch of apartments with high end condos will negatively impact density. The southwest side might be good for some high ride developments, but both properties are still zoned under the old zoning code.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 7:44 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

I live about a block from the Commons West apartments and have never felt they detract from the Platte Street experience. Their ground-floor retail spaces have an excellent sidewalk presence and the overall urban form of the development is what I would want anyway (given the height restrictions). The 16th Street plaza cutting through the site is a very pleasant public space, always busy with peds, dogs, bikes, etc. They parking is handled quite well--better than some more recent projects--where the only spots where you can even see the parking levels are blocked (or will be blocked) by neighboring buildings. Other than the architecture of the facades themselves, which is nothing special but works fine for a background building, I think it's a non-issue.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West