HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecho111 View Post
I was looking at the aerial photography and saw that it can be opened in Google Earth, which in turn let me see that there is imagery in Google Earth from September of this year. That SaskPower building at the back of their lot is huge. I thought the imagery was updated for the entire city, but its just a narrow stripe that happens to encompass the GTH stopping part way through the Loblaws warehouse. Google Maps also shows the same imagery.

Full size: https://i.imgur.com/uSpzw5L.jpg

The grid road I was taking pictures from is on the left, it was muddy this week so I turned around the other day.

I also noticed the land cleared while laying pipelines for gas and water was visible: https://i.imgur.com/9aAS8HR.jpg

This kmz file will load the April aerial photos in Google Earth (but it is very slow). https://opengis.regina.ca/arcgis/res...l/mapImage.kmz

Probably posted ages ago but this PDF has detailed site layout pictures for the Cargill plant. The 4 last page even indicates what is stored in each of the tanks. The big concrete ones are for canola meal, not raw seed. https://pubsaskdev.blob.core.windows...2BProposal.pdf
Absolutely incredible thanks for posting

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 8:38 PM

Many detention ponds out at the GTH. 2 big ones south of the SaskPower yard, another one being build south of the Cargill tracks, 2 inside the rail loop. The one with a square and prongs coming out of it is just to help it drain when the level is low, the pond includes the light colored area around it and the green part above. 2 separate adjacent ponds there so maybe one will be for storm drainage and the other for process water.

That's a lot of clean fill to haul away somewhere. Someone's always looking to fill in a low spot. There is an area south of Harbour Landing beside the service road that seems to take anything they can get, all the stadium dirt went there.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Many detention ponds out at the GTH. 2 big ones south of the SaskPower yard, another one being build south of the Cargill tracks, 2 inside the rail loop. The one with a square and prongs coming out of it is just to help it drain when the level is low, the pond includes the light colored area around it and the green part above. 2 separate adjacent ponds there so maybe one will be for storm drainage and the other for process water.

That's a lot of clean fill to haul away somewhere. Someone's always looking to fill in a low spot. There is an area south of Harbour Landing beside the service road that seems to take anything they can get, all the stadium dirt went there.
Cargill would have used all their fill for their internal rail and road beds.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 3:26 AM

Regina looks to delay Saskatchewan Drive, Scarth Street Mall projects until 2027

City says rising costs behind proposed delays

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...lays-1.7037517

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 3:32 PM

When the city can't afford regular road rehabilitation projects it doesn't leave me much hope they will do any of the cycling stuff laid out in the Transportation Master Plan.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2023, 1:33 AM

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/vanier-cup...2025-1.6660691
Vanier Cup to be hosted by University of Regina in 2025

It's a huge event. it's the top event in university sport for obviously the game of football, and to have it here in Regina, it's only been out in Western Canada three times in its 60-year history," said Lisa Robertson, director of sport, community engagement, and athlete development.
What incredible news

Old Posted Nov 26, 2023, 1:35 AM

Quote:
When the city can't afford regular road rehabilitation projects it doesn't leave me much hope they will do any of the cycling stuff laid out in the Transportation Master Plan.
Like everything that’s the way it is, look at railway yards Taylor field site half up downtown is empty with parking lots really what is the answer?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 6:58 PM

https://www.620ckrm.com/2023/11/26/r...ies-in-canada/

Regina Fourth on the list of most livable cities in Canada
A good list to be one

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 8:52 PM

Got out for a ride for first time in over a week after doing a number on my leg. https://imgur.com/a/2hK5raD

Some excavation work going on at the Cargill plant west of the silos. My guess is that they are starting on the rail car loading buildings that will straddle the tracks.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Got out for a ride for first time in over a week after doing a number on my leg. https://imgur.com/a/2hK5raD

Some excavation work going on at the Cargill plant west of the silos. My guess is that they are starting on the rail car loading buildings that will straddle the tracks.
Thank you for posting , when is the plant going to be operational

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
Thank you for posting , when is the plant going to be operational
All the search results are from when the project was announce and say 2024. A lot of work left, so maybe late 2024.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 2:35 PM

RM of Edenwold official denied the compost facility so that company will have to find another location to build the compost facility for city green bins.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
RM of Edenwold official denied the compost facility so that company will have to find another location to build the compost facility for city green bins.
One of the regina bypass borrow pits seems like a good choice?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 1:56 AM

Quote:
It feels like that company has been doing SFA waiting for the RM to make a final ruling so they can sue them. Like actually making an effort to find another site would hurt their planned lawsuit. You'd figure the City of Regina would be losing patience.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 3:27 AM

Quote:
It feels like that company has been doing SFA waiting for the RM to make a final ruling so they can sue them. Like actually making an effort to find another site would hurt their planned lawsuit. You'd figure the City of Regina would be losing patience.
Someone at the city is probably involved behind the scenes, making money on it. Yes, I'm cynical these days. The city wants to contract out more and more. It's all accounting tricks for the budget.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Someone at the city is probably involved behind the scenes, making money on it. Yes, I'm cynical these days. The city wants to contract out more and more. It's all accounting tricks for the budget.
The company is not going to broadcast their private business plans to the world, especially before they had the final decision from the RM. If it was known they had an alternate site, that would give the RM an excuse to deny.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 6:07 PM

The question I have is why is Regina's compost facility not in Regina in the first place? Why can't it be set up out at the landfill and that's the end of it?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
The question I have is why is Regina's compost facility not in Regina in the first place? Why can't it be set up out at the landfill and that's the end of it?
The landfill is City of Regina property and compost is being run by a private company that needs to purchase their own land, and their prerogative would be to buy land as cheap as possible. Even if there was land near the dump along Fleet Street it would likely be priced at a premium for future industrial development considering that corridor will be getting road improvements in the near future.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
And why is it not run by the city itself? Core services should be owned and run by the public, the past has proven that privatization/contracted services only end up costing the public more (while at the same time creating lower-paying jobs).

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
And why is it not run by the city itself? Core services should be owned and run by the public, the past has proven that privatization/contracted services only end up costing the public more (while at the same time creating lower-paying jobs).
I don't agree with this. If contracting is mismanaged, it can cost more, but the City has an extremely high cost structure and outsourcing properly can save taxpayers money while reducing risks by transferring the risk to the private sector. For example City employee pension cost are more than an additional 20% over and above wages.

This does not mean the City should contract out everything. For example the City should have core staff ready to respond to normal issues like snow removal, water main breaks, parks and road maintenance and other routine issues. It does not make generally sense though to have large crews siting around waiting for a big project to come along. Those can be sent out to tender.

I assume the City did not have the expertise or infrastructure to take on the compost file and decided to contract it out, just like they do with recycling.

This current scenario is a good example. If the contract is well structured, the contractor is eating the cost of having to find alternate land. The contractor may have already bought the land and now may have to sell for a loss. If the City was doing it they would bear that cost.

Last edited by Stormer; Dec 8, 2023 at 5:40 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan