Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://tribecatrib.com/content/memor...laza-next-year

Memorial Chief Expects 'Freely Accessed' Plaza by Next Year

By ALINE REYNOLDS
Jul. 12, 2013

Thank you for answering my question in advance, I was just going to ask about that

I guess that by then they'll also open the surrounding streets, at least partially or some of them, that now are full of construction equipment.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 4:05 PM

From the WTC Progress Facebook page:

"WTC Transportation Hub 3D design by Santiago Calatrava."

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 9:24 PM

Fantastic news about the memorial plaza opening up; I've been eagerly anticipating this development.

I predict that by Spring 2014, the inaccessible construction block will shrink to an 'L'-shape, encompassing the temporary PATH station, 2WTC, the Transportation Hub, and 3WTC. If Greenwich street reopens by that time, I'd imagine that it would also form a nested 'L'-shaped street perpendicularly intersecting the western portion of Fulton street. Maybe Vesey and Liberty streets will be reopened as well...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 9:32 PM

Sorry for the double post, but I've been meaning to ask precisely how the southbound IRT(1) platform will connect to the Transportation Hub. I can see a few surface-level access points for this platform, but it isn't immediately clear how riders will enter or exit the southbound platform directly from or into the underground complex respectively.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
Sorry for the double post, but I've been meaning to ask precisely how the southbound IRT(1) platform will connect to the Transportation Hub. I can see a few surface-level access points for this platform, but it isn't immediately clear how riders will enter or exit the southbound platform directly from or into the underground complex respectively.
Like this. The red squares represent the stairways so they are the exits..........

http://thebergennetwork.com/junk/fultonstdiagram.png

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 6:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Update on Current Progress

WTC transportation hub taking shape in NYC

Reaching three levels underground, the 800,000-square-foot complex will link the PATH trains with Hudson River ferries to New Jersey, and 11 city subway lines - all already operating.Under construction are the two wing-like sections to be separated by a special feature: a skylight that will open like a huge eye.
On each Sept. 11, this "oculus" will be aligned so direct sunlight will shine through the glass at 10:28 a.m. - the time when the second tower collapsed in 2001.

The $3.9 billion cost of the steel-concrete-and-glass structure falls into a budget under the Federal Transit Administration and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey that owns the trade center site.Plate compared the hub's 150-foot high main hall to that of Grand Central Terminal, with 100,000 square feet of upscale retail space planned to serve about 250,000 World Trade Center commuters passing through each day.
More than 12,000 tons of steel is needed to complete the complex, with up to 500 people working there in any given 24-hour period.On Wednesday, they braved a heat index that hit 100 to keep the labyrinth of construction equipment, scaffolding and cranes going.

Among the engineering challenges was the destruction wreaked by Superstorm Sandy last October, Plate said.Salty water flooded the lower level, destroying electrical conduits and half-built escalators that had to be entirely replaced.
============================================
NEW YORK (AP), Verena Dobnik, July 23, 2013, http://www.wtc.com/news/wtc-transpor...g-shape-in-nyc

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Like this. The red squares represent the stairways so they are the exits..........
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was referring to the Cortlandt/WTC IRT station, formerly servicing the 1 and 9 trains. I do not see any staircase markers for this station on the map you posted.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 7:41 PM

From the WTC Progress Facebook page:

"Progress continues at WTC PATH Hub Transit Hall."

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 9:47 PM
Eagle Scout since 9/28/09

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 4:45 PM
Back to Basics

Sphere to Return?

Is there any new information on the Sphere debacle? Or is the whitewashing of the real events that transpired here still in full force?

It's ironic that in advertising for the 9/11 museum they use the image of the Sphere to evoke a response... Yet the Sphere is to be located nowhere near the museum.... Even though the most OBVIOUS SPOT is completely perfect for relocating the Sphere.

The Sphere should, nay, MUST be in front of the Museum in a fountain similar to the old one, in full view of the new 1 WTC, Museum and Memorial Pools. How can the developers justify any other placement? Shameful.

(Image Close-up from Earthcam found HERE )

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 1:46 PM

That's a terrible idea. Give it up.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 2:26 PM

Personally the fountain idea sounds like too much there are already two fountains on site! Another is a bit much. They could just leave it the new spot you mentioned with no fountain or the Liberty park option which wouldn't be far from it's original location.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 8:02 PM

They finally poured the slab for the little piece in the NW corner that they hadn't finished. You can see it in the above picture covered in white plastic (they had just finished the pour and it was raining). Looks like 4 trees are going there.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 2:24 AM

I almost wish they didn't open up the site to motor traffic. I liked the old layout where it was part of one "campus" if you will.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 7:44 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

holy moly i cannot believe how calatrava the station looks these days, both inside and out. and absolutely exactly like the renders come to life. wow what a sight it is already. fantastic. thanks for posting the pics peoples.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 2:10 PM

What are they doing to the roof of the museum? it looks like they're covering it.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
Is there any new information on the Sphere debacle? Or is the whitewashing of the real events that transpired here still in full force?
[/IMG]
Although PATH Hall roof is designed to withstand incredible loads imposed on any point of it (not disclosing magnitude) the NS11M&M Board Committee made it clear not to include the sphere on Memorial area.

Struct engineer contractor of VSC final package was required to engineer a spot on the Liberty Park program where it could accomodate the sphere perfectly, it's up to the PA heads to whether include it or not.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 3:09 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
That's a terrible idea. Give it up.
Other than this terse antagonistic statement, do you have any REASON for such sentiment and would you care to elaborate?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 4:26 PM
testify

there are already so many elements that mark the attacks, including an actual museum and an enormous memorial plaza, why take up the space with an ugly, ruined globe? keep it elegant, timeless, interesting, so that in 40 years when most of us are dead or irrelevant and the 20-30 year olds of that era are wandering around the plaza, they're seeing something that's spare (like the original plaza) and visually appealing (unlike the original plaza) and not self-flagellatingly morbid like some broken globe.

anyway, i think the original post scoffing at your idea is referring to how incredibly difficult getting anything done at the site has been - overlapping and competing jurisdictions and interests, different visions of the project, etc. there's simply no chance something like what you're proposing will ever get built, so there's no point in bringing your campaign to skyscraperpage where people are most interested in actual building.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 5:56 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

I think that this statue would be a far better one to put atop the PATH roof:

WTC | AMERICA'S RESPONSE MONUMENT by roccocell, on Flickr

I do hope that it finds a permanent home at the WTC Memorial in a prominent place and not merely tucked away in a corner as it currently is.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture