HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 12:11 AM

Navy unveils first concepts for planned $475 million museum in Southeast D.C.

Daniel J. Sernovitz
Washington Business Journal
April 13, 2023

“ Representatives for the Naval History and Heritage Command revealed on Thursday a range of potential visions for the planned National Museum of the U.S. Navy in Southeast D.C., presenting concepts from some of the biggest names in architecture.

Five architectural firms unveiled their ideas at a public event at the Washington Navy Yard, where the Navy is looking to build a roughly 270,000-square-foot museum outside of Navy Yard's secured gates to replace an 80,000-square-foot museum inside the gates. The Navy is eyeing a location along M Street SE that it hopes to acquire through a land swap with a private developer. The museum is expected to cost about $475 million to build....

Marc G. Anderson Consultants is leading the process of selecting the project's architect and announced the five finalists in January. They are are Bjarke Ingles Group, which has dual headquarters in Copenhagen and New York; Omaha, Nebraska's DLR Group: Frank Gehry Partners in Los Angeles; Chicago's Perkins & Will; and Quinn Evans Architects in D.C."

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...ource=facebook

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 8:38 PM

I took this photo Monday of a residential development in the Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard neighborhood. This is on First and N Street, SE, directly across the street from Nats Park.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 4:20 AM

-

In a matter such as this, I know theres nothing I can say to make the pain go away immediately. Im very sorry for your loss, and my best wishes go out to you and your family.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 5:56 PM

A New Academic Building Planned at Georgetown Law Center

By Urban Turf
April 28, 2023

Rendering courtesy of Urban Turf.

"A new academic building is on the boards for Georgetown University's downtown law campus.

The 130-foot tall building will take the place of The Sarah and Bernard Gewirz Student Center at 120 F Street NW on the university's Capitol Campus. The building will have five floors of academic space, four floors of office and clinic space, and a penthouse with a convening area..."

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...w_center/20962

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 2:54 PM

Here are a couple of photos I took yesterday evening of developments in Shaw. This is on North Capitol Street.

This is on Florida Ave, NW.

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
I took this photo Monday of a residential development in the Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard neighborhood. This is on First and N Street, SE, directly across the street from Nats Park.

Here's a great shot of Parcel H and Parcel I, from the New Frederick Douglass Bridge Twitter account. Also FYI, the DC Water facility has been completely cleared of vehicles and equipment, and seems to be ready for construction:

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 5:07 PM

Thank you for posting. The Frederick Douglass bridge really looks great. I want to go to the other side of the Anacostia and take a couple of photos of the Bridge District construction-- perhaps over Memorial Day weekend.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 6:18 PM

It looks like this development lost three units from what was proposed in early March.

Plans Filed For 19-Unit Apartment Development on Palisades Main Strip

Urban Turf
May 9, 2023

"Plans have been submitted to DC for a residential project in a neighborhood not known for new multi-family development.

Rishi Bhatnagar has filed plans with DC's Board of Zoning Adjustment (BZA) for a 19-unit apartment project on the triangular site at 4885 MacArthur Boulevard NW (map), one of the main retail strips in DC's Palisades neighborhood. The proposed apartments would be constructed above retailers Black Coffee, Café Vino and Dodge Chrome..."

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...alisades/20996

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 6:23 PM

D.C. Moves Forward With Efforts To Develop 110-Acre Waterfront Site
https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc...process-118886

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 6:33 PM

It will be exciting to see this development. I am going to try to get across the Anacostia either next weekend or over Memorial Day weekend and take a couple of photos of the Bridge district development. There are three tower cranes installed for that now.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 7:53 PM

Some Commanders fans were hopeful this would be the site for a new stadium. With this report, looks like that's a no-go.
https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/i...a-22eb6c26696f

I might swing around there and take some pics myself in the next few days.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 7:55 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Quote:
Here are a couple of photos I took yesterday evening of developments in Shaw. This is on North Capitol Street.

It's fine and all but would it have killed them to wrap the brick around the one side with the charming Flemish stepped gable? Just lazy.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted May 16, 2023, 5:02 PM

Here are a couple more recent photos I took of developments around NOMA and Shaw.

Old Posted May 16, 2023, 5:57 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Quote:

Yikes.

The bath and kitchen vents really do set it off.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted May 16, 2023, 5:59 PM

Here is a photo I took recently of the redevelopment of the vacant Cotton Annex building into apartments. This is located a couple of blocks south of the Smithsonian metro station in an area that has almost no housing right now.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 2:00 PM

The previous estimate for the Union Station modernization was that it would cost $10B. Even with the inflation in labor and construction materials, this is a significant cost savings. i think this probably comes from the reduction in the amount of parking.

Feds release updated $8.8 billion redevelopment plan for Union Station

The revised vision for the rail station includes less parking, an underground drop-off area, and integrated bus, pedestrian and bike access

By Luz Lazo
Washington Post
May 13, 2023

A rendering of the new train hall planned at Union Station as part of a multibillion-dollar redevelopment. (Rendering courtesy of the Washington Post)

"The Federal Railroad Administration unveiled a revised concept late Friday for the redevelopment of Union Station, laying out a future transit hub with far less parking, pickup and drop-off traffic below ground, and more fully integrated access for pedestrians, bikes and buses.

The new plan comes two years after the federal agency paused its analysis of the project to amend key aspects that were widely criticized as keeping the station too car-centric. The District had opposed a multilevel parking garage featured in a vision released three years ago, while officials and residents demanded better access for foot and bike traffic.

The proposed expansion of the 115-year-old train hub, estimated in the report to cost $8.8 billion for construction alone, calls for a transformation of the nation’s second-busiest intercity rail hub by 2040. It will add wide rail platforms, an integrated bus terminal, a new train hall and updated concourses lined with shops and restaurants that provide easy access to Metrorail, buses, taxis, ride-shares, streetcars and parking. The station’s historic main hall will be preserved..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...redevelopment/

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 7:37 PM

Unfortunately, this article is paywalled but this will be a 10-story, mixed-use building.

One of Buzzard Point's last development sites to become part Moxy Hotel, part apartments

By Daniel J. Sernovitz
Washington Business Journal
May 17, 2023

"Microhotel units and residences are planned for the site of a former auto repair shop..."

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...ate=2023-05-17

Old Posted May 22, 2023, 5:17 PM

I volunteered with the Anacostia Riverkeeper river clean-up on Saturday morning and took a couple of photos of developments in Anacostia while I was there.

These cranes are for the Bridge District development, located near the entrance to the Frederick Douglass bridge.

Old Posted May 22, 2023, 6:03 PM

Here are a couple of photos I also took of the Frederick Douglass bridge.

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 5:23 PM

HPO Recommends Approval For 45-Unit Condo Development Pitched For Former Church Site in Shaw

By Urban Turf
May 22, 2023

"Back in February, UrbanTurf reported on a plan to redevelop a pair of former church properties in Shaw into a large new condo project. Now, the new development has been given a nudge towards approval.

The Historic Preservation Office (HPO) report on the 45-unit condo development recommends the Review Board (HPRB) find the concept compatible and consistent with the historic district at their May meeting later this week..."

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...ormer_ch/21047

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations