HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 25, 2012, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZeig1 View Post
I was having a difficult time figuring out from what angle this photo was taken. I finally realized it when I saw the cranes for 3wtc sticking out in the lower rh part of the photo. Normally - I'm use to seeing 5wtc in the foreground of 4wtc when the shot is taken from the south of wtc complex. interesting angle...

Man does 7wtc look small in this photo...
Ummm 5 wtc?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2012, 6:02 PM

I think he means where 5 wtc will be in the future.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2012, 6:09 PM
Bionic Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZeig1 View Post
I was having a difficult time figuring out from what angle this photo was taken. I finally realized it when I saw the cranes for 3wtc sticking out in the lower rh part of the photo. Normally - I'm use to seeing 5wtc in the foreground of 4wtc when the shot is taken from the south of wtc complex. interesting angle...

Man does 7wtc look small in this photo...
This photo was taken most likely from Greenwich street and Rector street towards the Battery.

more steel going up as we speak...

DSC_4902 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Aug 25, 2012, 7:43 PM

On topic though, that above pic of the WTC complex (with WTC5 in the back) is really cool. I've seen a bunch of pics with different angles, but none like that.

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 26, 2012 at 1:14 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2012, 7:55 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosV View Post
Cranes are taller.....

DSC_4899 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

DSC_4901 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
I'm guessing that those cranes are now,at the least, in the same level of the Sears Tower height-wise. Hopefully, this is the starting point of many of NYC's future tallest to succeed. If Chicago doesn't come up with something soon, we always got Manhattan.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2012, 11:19 PM

I'm working on a model of the base... but I made a bit of a stupid mistake when I made the steel last year.: I used the steel that will support the base cladding for scale when I modeled the steel, knowing the elevation of the 20th and 1st floor. It turns out that I used a 13'9 1/2 spacing instead of the actual 13'4. Sounds like no biggie, but I'll have to adjust all of the angles in the base steel now, and the four sides aren't the same below the 20th floor.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I'm guessing that those cranes are now,at the least, in the same level of the Sears Tower height-wise. Hopefully, this is the starting point of many of NYC's future tallest to succeed. If Chicago doesn't come up with something soon, we always got Manhattan.
See the top of the red support structures for the cranes. They are near 1400' up now. The tops of the cranes extended are near the mid 1600s

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEPman View Post
On topic though, that above pic of the WTC complex (with WTC5 in the back) is really cool. I've seen a bunch of pics with different angles, but none like that.
That is 7WTC. 5WTC has not been built yet.

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 26, 2012 at 1:15 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 3:01 AM
SWFC and ICC R Best

So 5WTC isn't even built yet?? I thought that it was completed,, No Idea so that is 7 that's behind them?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
So 5WTC isn't even built yet?? I thought that it was completed,, No Idea so that is 7 that's behind them?
5 world trade center isn't built. The only towers being built at the moment is Tower 1 and 4. Tower 2 and 3 are going on hold, and no plans for tower 5.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 3:50 AM

Fun fact from Madagascar 3:
Quote:
The Manhattan skyline originally didn’t have the new World Trade Center—a DreamWorker from New York City who had just been down to that area was awestruck by the partially completed building and asked that it be put in to show the amazing architecture.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURKEY427 View Post
Ummm 5 wtc?
To clearify my point - here's a photo taken, for the most part, from the same angle as the above photo. Both shots are taken from a camera facing north from the southern part of the complex. You can clearly see the difference in angle and the change in the site.
I'm use to seeing the pic taken with the empty lot where the bank once stood. The above pic is taken further back behind buildings to the south. The pic below was probably taken from the slinder white building in the above pic. The newer photo kinda distorts the depth and scale of the buidings.
Not to bring Five WTC into this page, but there's a pit there now. Not sure if it's been fill yet.

Suzanne Tiedemann

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 4:43 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Back when these towers were babies. Good times.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 10:25 AM

Right i understand now Sorry for all the confusion.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 11:31 AM
Bionic Boogie

DSC_4904 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:

Beautiful morning!!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 1:29 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 4:03 PM

I wonder what they are doing with the counterweights, It doesn't look like they are adding or removing them from the cranes.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 4:11 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

Quote:

Simply Elegant great shot my man just think of that shot with all the glass in place

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 4:55 PM
New Yorker for life

I'm sure everyone remembers Childs twisting form of the tower, and the glass base that came with it...

But I don't recall seeing these renderings of that base, which are well done...

http://massforma.com/arch/freedom-tower/

Freedom Tower

Quote:
Alfred Huang was the original member of the World Trade center design team responsible for the project’s early responses to the masterplan as well as all public areas of the project, including below-grade retail, lobbies, exterior plazas and landscaping, observation deck and restaurant lobbies. He also pioneered the implementation of Building Information Modeling (BIM) for project design and delivery. The project challenged the design software of the time. Many challenges and lessons from the project informed the development of BIM software tool for large-scale projects.

The new World Trade Center Freedom Tower was designed to be the most important symbol of New York City, the 1,776 foot-tall (540 meters) as it strives to restore the skyline and draw inspiration from the cables of the Brooklyn Bridge and the sweeping twist fo the Statue of Liberty.

The design calls for 70 commerical stories with 2.6 million square feet (241,500 square meters) of office space with underground connection to retail and regional transit hubs. Above the offices is a broadcasting center, observation deck, and restaurant. Glass ceilings of the restaurant will look up at 400 feet (122 meters) of weaving cable-net superstructure housing wind turbines that will generate 20% of the building’s electricity. A 276-foot (85 meters) spire will top off the tower as a beacon of the city. The tower’s structural diagrid extends down the asymmetrical form, generating the weaving diamond-shaped curtain walls that clad the twisting east and west facades. At the base, the diagrids form a monumental arcade around the glazed cable-net lobby as it opens to the street.

Alfred Huang designed the project from 2003 to 2005 while employed with Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, LLP.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive