HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 5:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecho111 View Post
I should squeeze in my annual quad clover pass on my bike before construction starts. I usually do a full ride of Albert Street in both directions early on a Sunday morning when its quiet. Often I do Albert and Broad in the same ride, but it's usually later in the year. Once I did all 16 cloverleafs around the city which ended up being an 86 km ride.

I wonder if they are doing both bridges this year and redirect traffic. I don't think there would be enough time to do both decks sequentially this year.
That's wild! Good for you!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
It will be nice for the overpass overhaul. Are there any renderings or major changes?
As far a I can recall it is just replacement of the two bridges which are at the end of the lifespan. They are also raising them to limit collisions. I believe the clover leaf will remain.

Looking back, it includes replacing concrete spans with steel girders which are supposed to last longer. Also 3km of paving.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
As far a I can recall it is just replacement of the two bridges which are at the end of the lifespan. They are also raising them to limit collisions. I believe the clover leaf will remain.

Looking back, it includes replacing concrete spans with steel girders which are supposed to last longer. Also 3km of paving.
I really dislike those cloverleafs when driving. You've got people accelerating and decelerating in the same space. When you are getting off at Albert from the west you have to say a little prayer people coming down the ramp won't do something stupid. Exiting Albert going eastbound your visibility of traffic is compromised while you are turning as there is a point where you stop seeing them through your window, but can't pick them up in your mirror yet.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 6:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I really dislike those cloverleafs when driving. You've got people accelerating and decelerating in the same space. When you are getting off at Albert from the west you have to say a little prayer people coming down the ramp won't do something stupid. Exiting Albert going eastbound your visibility of traffic is compromised while you are turning as there is a point where you stop seeing them through your window, but can't pick them up in your mirror yet.
Full cloverleafs are actually incredibly dangerous and should be illegal.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 6:24 PM
arf

Quote:
Agreed. Worst design ever for traffic safety. If anything, the speed limit around the cloverleafs needs to be reduced as the variations in traffic speed are just too large for getting on and off reasonably.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Agreed. Worst design ever for traffic safety. If anything, the speed limit around the cloverleafs needs to be reduced as the variations in traffic speed are just too large for getting on and off reasonably.
So Am I the baddie when I use them to test out my summer performance tires?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 1:44 PM
arf

Quote:
Eeks. I wouldn't really trust any of our roads to be smooth enough or clear of gravel enough for performance tires.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 2:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Lol, just watch out for gecho111 while you're doing it.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Eeks. I wouldn't really trust any of our roads to be smooth enough or clear of gravel enough for performance tires.
You gotta pick your spots for sure. One spring I saw a motorcycle hit the gravel on the curve on the Assiniboia Ave flyover. He got hurt and wrecked his bike.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 4:35 PM
Unregistered User

There are active geopolitics threads in the national forum. Hardly any Sask forumers contribute there, but it is a much more appropriate place for this sort of discussion than the Regina construction thread.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 4:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
There are active geopolitics threads in the national forum. Hardly any Sask forumers contribute there, but it is a much more appropriate place for this sort of discussion than the Regina construction thread.
Honestly, I have never ventured outside the Sask/Man section much. I honestly prefer talking about these things with other people closer to me geographically. Politics has become too centralized on a national level as it is, plus there are other websites for that that I do discuss these things on at that level. But I would gladly take the discussion to the appropriate threads. As I have said before, these tangents usually happen organically and quickly so moving to a different thread can be awkward. But I get it.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 4:45 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Honestly, I have never ventured outside the Sask/Man section much. I honestly prefer talking about these things with other people closer to me geographically. Politics has become too centralized on a national level as it is, plus there are other websites for that that I do discuss these things on at that level. But I would gladly take the discussion to the appropriate threads. As I have said before, these tangents usually happen organically and quickly so moving to a different thread can be awkward. But I get it.
I get the appeal of discussing politics in the local subforum. Maybe you could liven up the "Western Expresso" thread (god I hate that name)

Edit: shows how often I check that thread....

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 4:51 PM
arf

I venture into other parts of the forum because I've lived lots of places and, to me, the forum was better when it was less fragmented. City planning and issues are not singularly a local issue in that there is stuff to learn from other municipalities and provinces and countries. It isn't always an apples to apples comparison, but nothing is generally that simple. But the sharing of ideas across geographies is good. We've lost a lot of that on skyscraperpage as the forum has been fragmented into smaller and smaller regions.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 5:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
I get the appeal of discussing politics in the local subforum. Maybe you could liven up the "Western Expresso" thread (god I hate that name)

Edit: shows how often I check that thread....
Haha it is a weird name for sure.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 4:08 AM

The previous speakers

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 4:52 PM

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 7:58 PM

Quote:

The previous speakers

Should see if I can purchase those babies for the garage...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Looks promising but what's with the asphalt sidewalk with no separation from vehicular traffic in front of rebellion??

Edit: I see now that it's temporary pathway access to the Yards.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 8:55 PM

I didn't know Coop Cabs were using Peugeot vehicles.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 9:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I didn't know Coop Cabs were using Peugeot vehicles.

Interesting mix of local and foreign references.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan