HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 3:46 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I suppose it depends on the leader of the party at the time. The NDP in Manitoba had passed some legislation that required, I believe, all Provincial and Crown corp. capital projects to only award to businesses that had unionized employees. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that but imposing a restriction like that does create the potential to pay more for less as that is a limiting factor that doesn't ensure value for money or improve quality.
Okay never mind. I feel that you guys may be more screwed under NDP then. The traffic light on St Nobert Bypass will stay, and there will be cross roads over Headingley Bypass...

Pallister sounds frustrating but at least there’s slightly more chance.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 7:08 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I suppose it depends on the leader of the party at the time. The NDP in Manitoba had passed some legislation that required, I believe, all Provincial and Crown corp. capital projects to only award to businesses that had unionized employees. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that but imposing a restriction like that does create the potential to pay more for less as that is a limiting factor that doesn't ensure value for money or improve quality.
Less scope & quality for more $$ is exactly what you will get with the NDP. As Dengler says, just look at what has happened to BC highway projects under the NDP.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 7:41 PM

You'll get virtually nothing with the current PC government. So there's also that.

I'm not aware of the NDP limiting contracts to unionized companies. But haven't been paying attention to that level of detail. Seems counter-productive.

It seems to be the best course of action is design-build or P3 type contracts that en
encourage innovation and competitive cost. Those require a very detailed and thorough set of project requirements (and a back bone) to ensure we actually get what is wanted.

The most recent and best example is the Southwest Transitway. Went from $590 million to just over $400 million. That's a huge amount of money.

To get the South perimeter done in pieces, design-build is likely the best course of action. This was the process for 59N/101.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 8:36 PM

Pallister needs to go!! Every other jurisdiction in Canada is taking this money and putting it well towards road construction. What has Manitoba done a few resurfacing projects?? It makes me so sad. Living anywhere else seems like a fairytale. It’s easy to say move when you have most of your family here.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
Pallister needs to go!! Every other jurisdiction in Canada is taking this money and putting it well towards road construction. What has Manitoba done a few resurfacing projects?? It makes me so sad. Living anywhere else seems like a fairytale. It’s easy to say move when you have most of your family here.
It makes no sense why your government wouldn't submit projects to apply for funding from these various pots. The funding won't cover the full cost of projects but will it definitely help to get them off the ground. Mix in P3, getting developers to help fund interchanges that have a huge benefit to them, city funding, etc. and you'll find there's a lot more money available than you think. If need be build less interchanges to start off with. I'm not saying have traffic lights (big no to that!). People can go a bit out of their way to exit and enter on to the freeway. Spacing them out is actually good for safety--drivers will quickly discover that fact.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 9:11 PM

The City of Winnipeg has made various priority lists and funding applications over the past couple years.

The Province is basically in austerity mode. Even though they call themselves Progressive Conservatives, they have been more and more just plain old Canadian Conservatives lately. Pallister talks a lot, cuts funding, cuts programs. In an effort to reduce government and regulations, under the guise of balancing the budget. So there have been zero major projects of any form announced under his Premiership. Beyond the healthcare overhaul (ie: cuts), and not just infrastructure, there has been nothing.

That's what he campaigned on though. The NDP broke the Province and balancing the budget. And he was elected twice. Looking at the election map, heavily rural voting conservative. Following the Canadian trend. Because somehow he will save the farmers.

Enough from me on politics.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 12:47 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Beyond the healthcare overhaul (ie: cuts),
I have to disagree there. The changes to the provincial ambulance system and the Winnipeg ERs were good policy, and came from reports started by the previous government. The same thing now needs to happen with unsustainable ERs outside of Winnipeg, as unpopular is that is.

Last edited by jmt18325; Sep 2, 2020 at 3:40 AM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 1:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I have to disagree there. The changes to the provincial ambulance system and the Winnipeg ERs was good policy, and came from reports started by the previous government. The same thing now needs to happen with unsustainable ERs outside of Winnipeg, as unpopular is that is.
We're off topic here but look at Wabbie grandstanding in Roblin today, there is a shortage of medical techs because of staff shortages and redeployment for COVID testing and Wabbie was out shouting at the sky, poor folks in Roblin NOW gave to temporarily drive a whole 20 minutes to Russel! Not like any of us have ever had to drive 45 minutes to an-1 hour within the city for various medical reasons!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 3:41 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
We're off topic here but look at Wabbie grandstanding in Roblin today, there is a shortage of medical techs because of staff shortages and redeployment for COVID testing and Wabbie was out shouting at the sky, poor folks in Roblin NOW gave to temporarily drive a whole 20 minutes to Russel! Not like any of us have ever had to drive 45 minutes to an-1 hour within the city for various medical reasons!
Like I said, as unpopular as it is for my fellow rural residents, especially with the shrinking populations in rural western Manitoba, some ERs will have to close. If it were up to me, Prairie Mountain Health would have 3 ERs at the 3 major health centres. There's no point in being taken by ambulance to a place where they can't do much for you anyway.

Anyway, back to the topic.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 1:07 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^This is/will be happening...quite a number of sites. The wheels are already in motion. Covid just delayed it.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 2:10 AM

Back to Perimeter, does anyone know the purpose of that huge pile of fill just south of the Kenaston/Perimeter intersection? I know some is being used for the service road construction but it seems like way more than needed.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 2:50 AM

Is Lagimodiere still considered a provincial highway as it once was? If so, you have to wonder if there will ever be any more significant improvements made by the province? I spent some time driving on it this past week and the stop and go traffic was maddening. It is so congested in some parts.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 2:57 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Was the east portion of Perimeter Highway out of your way?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Was the east portion of Perimeter Highway out of your way?
Yeah, it was. But Lagimodiere (which functioned as the original east leg of the Perimeter for the first 35 or so years of the Perimeter's existence) is getting so choked at certain times that it may make more sense to considering going to the east Perimeter in the future.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 1:17 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Is Lagimodiere still considered a provincial highway as it once was? If so, you have to wonder if there will ever be any more significant improvements made by the province? I spent some time driving on it this past week and the stop and go traffic was maddening. It is so congested in some parts.
It still is, at least with the route signs posted throughout Lag.

It would be nice to improve Lagimodiere along the high traffic areas, starting with Regent and Lag, and Fermor and Lag. Although the latter seems that with the current construction on Fermor, nothing is going to happen on the intersection other than improving that intersection by way of no grade separation.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
It still is, at least with the route signs posted throughout Lag.

It would be nice to improve Lagimodiere along the high traffic areas, starting with Regent and Lag, and Fermor and Lag. Although the latter seems that with the current construction on Fermor, nothing is going to happen on the intersection other than improving that intersection by way of no grade separation.
The interchange at Fermor and Lag made it into the cities 2020 infrastructure priorities list. Now this will probably take a while given projects such as the Rt 90 improvements will likely come before.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 2:13 PM

Lag at Fermor was just reconstructed, as Fermor was finally upgraded to a divided 4 lane roadway eastward to the rail overpass. Not that it matters if the City actually wanted to put in an interchange. But they just spent a pile of money on Fermor.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 2:20 PM

I drove quite a bit of the Peirmeter this weekend. 101 from PTH 59 to PTH 6 in the north and 100 from Roblin to PTH 1 in the east.

101 was a much easier drive due to the only traffic light being at Pipeline (and at #6, but I took the exit north).

100 was stop and go with all the lights. 100 is also down to 80 km/h from PR 330 through Waverley, which is terrible. I can't believe they wouldn't just move the Waverley intersection over to Kenaston already.

I bypassed Headingley coming in from the west by going south to Roblin.

On 101 there were numerous median opening that were closed via barricades. 100 had almost all the median opening closed permanently with curbs. The only ones left were PTH 2, Brady Rd and Symington Rd in the east. So that made it really nice knowing no one was going to dart across. All the access points from the service roads are still there though.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 2:25 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Lag at Fermor was just reconstructed, as Fermor was finally upgraded to a divided 4 lane roadway eastward to the rail overpass. Not that it matters if the City actually wanted to put in an interchange. But they just spent a pile of money on Fermor.
The job they did in the intersection itself was pretty lame. Just ground down the old asphalt and repaved. It'll be terrible in another couple years again.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 2:58 PM

Mill and filled the through lanes on Lag. For all the work that was done there, it was a bit odd you're right. I will also the paving job there seemed to be a bit poor. Overall yes it's all new pavement and generally nice. But i severely dislike brand new pavement that is undulating, the seems aren't great, and stuff like that. It will smooth out as time goes on with vehicle traffic.

Some jobs the pavement is so nice and smooth you can't even feel the seams that go horizontally across the road. They should all be like that. Comes with experience I suppose. This is me being nitpicky.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan