HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
If we do get a downtown movie theater (and we need one; Canal Place ain't cutting it) it will be a large megaplex, with 8-12 screens, probably integrated with a larger development.
Well Canal Place caters to a completely different demo. The people driving out to the nearest AMC30 or Palace are likely not type who are going to pay $15 for a movie ticket and then $20+ a person on food, wine, etc. Likewise the people who flock to the The Theatres At Canal Place are looking for much more of an experience than they can get eating goobers and popcorn at a megaplex.
The few times that I have gotten to Canal Place the theaters were sold out, but I agree about the need for a mainstream style theater in the area.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 3:03 PM

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 12:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
Is winn dixie making a comeback?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 4:21 AM
-

I think they have started to focus more on their core states and I hear lots of people talk highly about the gas credit card thing they have right now!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I hear lots of people talk highly about the gas credit card thing they have right now!
I've saved up to, I want to say, $0.35 per gallon using the card. The downside is that the stations that accept the card are usually $0.10-$0.20 more than nearby gas stations and I don't really prefer to shop at Winn-Dixie.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 7:38 PM
-

I dont follow it much but if the store is as nice as they say the Covington store is it will certainly give the Rouses right there a run for its money. Cant wait til the downtown rouses opens though. My new place is literally half a block away from it. I may have to purchase my own grocery cart lol

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 5:28 AM

Nice story on the "Rampart renaissance"...

...and what's amazing is that it has already begun before the streetcar line is up and running, the re-opening of the theaters and of course the redevelopment of Iberville into a mixed-use mixed-income development.

Good story that's only going to get better.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 1:51 PM

i-blight program Lot Next Door reaches 1,000 purchase agreements in New Orleans

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...ot_next_d.html

"The slow-to-launch program giving New Orleans homeowners first dibs at taking over abandoned lots next to their properties inked its 1,000th purchase agreement last week, a milestone that officials say shows one of their key strategies for restoring the city's blighted landscape has finally gained some momentum.

The Lot Next Door initiative, spearheaded by the New Orleans Redevelopment Authority, offers buyers as much as $10,000 to restore vacant properties adjacent to their homes, as well as landscaping expertise to help owners turn decrepit parcels into side yards, vegetable gardens and other amenities. The money also can be used to rehab abandoned homes. ...."

Glad to hear it's making some progress, but it has a looooooong way to go. If I lived next to one I absolutely would buy it up. It would just be stupid not to, but that's not the case...oh well.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 6:43 PM
-

Couple things I saw over the weekend. The VA has finally opened a same day surgery center on Poydras with 110 employees. Also, the old Cuvee spot on Magazine downtown will be turned into a steakhouse by the same guy that is turning the Dixie Welding Building into a steakhouse. The Magazine restaurant will be called Chophouse New Orleans(100 seat restaurant featuring live music nightly) and will open July 8th. So looks like this guy will have two restaurants in New Orleans now.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 7:31 PM

Chophouse

I'd say the article is inconclusive. CityBusiness said:

"In a feature published in Tulane’s A.B. Freeman School of Business magazine last summer, Greenbaum said he planned to convert the Dixie Machine, Welding and Metal Works Shop in the Warehouse District into a 300-seat high-end steakhouse. He reportedly purchased the building in May 2010."

Which doesn't clarify anything about opening two or just one or really anything other than the old Cuvee space is being used.

I doubt the guy would build a 100 seat steakhouse down the street from a 300 seat steakhouse. That's a bit much especially with Ruth's Chris, Dickie Brennans, etc all in the area.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/th...r-cuvee-space/

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
I'd say the article is inconclusive. CityBusiness said:

"In a feature published in Tulane’s A.B. Freeman School of Business magazine last summer, Greenbaum said he planned to convert the Dixie Machine, Welding and Metal Works Shop in the Warehouse District into a 300-seat high-end steakhouse. He reportedly purchased the building in May 2010."

Which doesn't clarify anything about opening two or just one or really anything other than the old Cuvee space is being used.

I doubt the guy would build a 100 seat steakhouse down the street from a 300 seat steakhouse. That's a bit much especially with Ruth's Chris, Dickie Brennans, etc all in the area.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/th...r-cuvee-space/

Very odd indeed that he would be opening up two steakhouses so close together. I hope he isn't doing the Cuvee space instead of Dixie

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 7:53 PM

Poeyfarre Market

Here is a picture of the outside of Poeyfarre Market they posted

http://ow.ly/i/ckeO

Supposed to FINALLY open by July 4th. Store looks great though.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 8:51 PM
-

Im guessing he is doing the smaller space to test out the market and tweak their concept. I still see signs etc recently added to the Dixie Welding Building. So hes definitely doing something with the space.

BTW Most foodies would agree New Orleans is acutally underserved when it come to true steakhouses. The only real upscale ones we have are Mortons, Shulas, Ruths Chris and Dickie Brennans.

Also the Dixie Building will use a different concept it seems. The Chophouse is a concept they have done several times before where as the Dixie will be a unique concept for them.

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 13, 2011 at 9:04 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 8:54 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
Here is a picture of the outside of Poeyfarre Market they posted

http://ow.ly/i/ckeO

Supposed to FINALLY open by July 4th. Store looks great though.
The place definitely looks good. My friend Nick actually developed the store, hope he does well with it.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 10:08 PM

Saw some construction behind harrah's hotel downtown off of fulton street. bei general contractors. any idea ? Listed on bei website...

http://www.beigc.com/project_in_progress.htm

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 10:10 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
Saw some construction behind harrah's hotel downtown off of fulton street. bei general contractors. any idea ? Listed on bei website...

http://www.beigc.com/project_in_progress.htm
Yeah thats the future Mannings Restaurant and Bar. Were contractors actually working when you passed by because construction had seemed to be going very slow!

BTW that is one crap website for the contractor~

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 2:39 AM

yes they were on-site

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 3:50 PM
-

New Businesses announced for Freret Street( This streets renaissance is truly amazing)

New Sushi Restaurant and a Live Music Venue:

http://uptownmessenger.com/2011/06/j...ent-on-freret/

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 3:57 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission Most Livable View Post
...and what's amazing is that it has already begun before the streetcar line is up and running, the re-opening of the theaters and of course the redevelopment of Iberville into a mixed-use mixed-income development.

Good story that's only going to get better.
I find it ironic WWl is doing this story on the streets renaissance when they are by far the ugliest building on the block. A renaissance is happening but certainly not because of anything they are doing. They should be ashamed of the upkeep of the buildings they own!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I find it ironic WWl is doing this story on the streets renaissance when they are by far the ugliest building on the block. A renaissance is happening but certainly not because of anything they are doing. They should be ashamed of the upkeep of the buildings they own!
That is pretty ironic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations