HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Considering it took years for the similar Mary Brown's Chicken to find a local franchise operator and there are other players looking, ie Mrs Mikes and Milestones to name two, I would not expect Popeye's any time soon.
they are sure not spending any money on advertising the Mary Brown's Winnipeg store. I live in EK and until I read this thread I had no idea they had in the EK Transcona area.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 7:28 PM

^ Where are they located? I am in the same boat.

Edit: Ah they're somewhere in Reenders Square/Kildonan Crossing?? I think I remember seeing a sign for something like that on the backside along Panet??

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 10:03 PM

Looks like right by the Pet Mart / across from the Golden Fork.

I talked to somebody at work that lives on Prevette and she had no idea it was there either. I live further west down by Henderson/Kimberly so I may not get any of the new store flyers/coupons but she didn't get anything either.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Looks like right by the Pet Mart / across from the Golden Fork.

I talked to somebody at work that lives on Prevette and she had no idea it was there either. I live further west down by Henderson/Kimberly so I may not get any of the new store flyers/coupons but she didn't get anything either.
I live down by Munroe/Besant area. I haven't seen any flyers either. But haven't really been looking through them lately. Might have to give it a try.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 8:33 PM

How long has Mary Browns been there? I live fairly close and had no idea. That's some pretty terrible marketing on their part.
You get tucked away in that strip mall and no one will ever find you. I'll definitely check it out.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 8:42 PM

i have never even heard of it....i love me some fried chicken so they'll see me there in the next week or 2.
My tops places:
Clubhouse Chicken (Osbourne)
Chicken Delight
Chicken Chef
I tried Candys for the first time in prob 25+ years and was disappointed, not how it used to be.

Last edited by rkspec; Nov 23, 2015 at 9:10 PM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
i have never even heard of it....i love me some fried chicken so they'll see me there in the next week or 2.
My tops places:
Clubhouse Chicken (Osbourn)
Chicken Delight
Chicken Chef
I tried Candys for the first time in prob 25+ years and was disappointed, not how it used to be.
Pretty sure it's an Ontario franchise, heard quite a bit about it. Or atleast that's from where I hear about it.
Used to live by chicken Delight. It was pretty good. Good wings.
Had wings at Chicken Chef, it was pretty good. Don't know if th ey still have it, but few years ago they had all you can eat wings and pizza for like $10.99. Pretty good deal! Had Candy's couple years ago. It was 'okay'. GF doesn't really like fried chicken so I don't get it as much as I'd like! I hear Red Top has great fried chicken in St Vital, but I've never tried it.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 9:04 PM

there's amazing chicken at Van Goes on St.Mary's across from glenlawn school. large delivery area. not greasy at all.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 9:10 PM

the fried chicken at papa georges was excellent, they deep fried it in a pressure cooker.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
the fried chicken at papa georges was excellent, they deep fried it in a pressure cooker.
Doesn't KFC use some sort of pressure fryer system?

I think that most of the big chains do their product this way, the only difference is the seasoning.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:

I think that most of the big chains do their product this way, the only difference is the seasoning.
that is how the Red Top does chicken. it is very good.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 10:44 PM

popeyes chicken and biscuits is opening a location in the city soon

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 11:04 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Chicken Chef pressure fries too. I think they call it "broasting".

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 11:14 PM

^^ Unless you have some inside info beyond the media reports recently there is zero chance Popeye's is opening any time soon. That media hit was basically fishing for someone to pickup the local franchisee rights without any teeth behind it. It's very similar to the hits from Milestones and Mrs Mikes in this market with a long list of others I am sure...

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 4:28 AM

Mary Brown's was originally from Newfoundland, however the current HQ is in Markham, Ontario. There was a location in Brandon back in the 80s but it is long gone.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 3:06 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Pretty much EVERY fried chicken place uses a pressure fryer. This keeps the cooking time down much lower and the chicken quality stays consistent since you don't have to babysit it like with an open fryer.

Even the fried chicken at Sobeys/IGA is done in a pressure fryer.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Pretty much EVERY fried chicken place uses a pressure fryer. This keeps the cooking time down much lower and the chicken quality stays consistent since you don't have to babysit it like with an open fryer.

Even the fried chicken at Sobeys/IGA is done in a pressure fryer.
Back in the 80s I worked at both Chicken Delight and (briefly) at KFC. Both used pressure friers for the chicken (to speed up the cooking time). At the time, CD used canola oil while KFC was using solid vegetable shortening in their friers. I wonder if KFC has converted to a healthier, trans-fat free approach?

The St. Boniface/Downtown Santa Lucia makes fantastic fried chicken. Not so at the suburban locations.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 9:05 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Back in the 80s I worked at both Chicken Delight and (briefly) at KFC. Both used pressure friers for the chicken (to speed up the cooking time). At the time, CD used canola oil while KFC was using solid vegetable shortening in their friers. I wonder if KFC has converted to a healthier, trans-fat free approach?

The St. Boniface/Downtown Santa Lucia makes fantastic fried chicken. Not so at the suburban locations.
KFC uses canola oil.

http://www.kfc.ca/product-quality

On the topic of fried chicken. If you are ever in Onanole, stop in at Barnaby's. Their fried chicken is incredible.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 7:59 AM

Construction is underway now on fixing the Stella's on Sherbrook as all the insurance processes are done, apparently the fire actually started on the second level. Family member works at a company involved in the reno and said they wanted to go more upscale with this one and do nicer finishings as this is the flagship/head office location.

This is just a guess but it seems like maybe this is why the Pembina Hwy location seems to have been stalled... haven't seen any work happen there in a month probably, it's been a ghost town. Maybe they wanna get Sherbrook back up and running before doing a brand-new open.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

This is just a guess but it seems like maybe this is why the Pembina Hwy location seems to have been stalled... haven't seen any work happen there in a month probably, it's been a ghost town. Maybe they wanna get Sherbrook back up and running before doing a brand-new open.
Stella's web site still says Pembina opening Jan 2016.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan