HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 3:23 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

is that why i walked by around 7pm hargrave was closed off witch around 5pm i walked by was wide open?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 1:08 PM

needed a bottle of wine and I was driving down ellice, so made my 1st ever stop at the LC. 1 security outside and 2 inside the tiny store. then then man in front of me stumbles and knocks over a wine rack, breaking 3 bottles. wow, that place will not be a selling feature for Glasshouse residents.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
needed a bottle of wine and I was driving down ellice, so made my 1st ever stop at the LC. 1 security outside and 2 inside the tiny store. then then man in front of me stumbles and knocks over a wine rack, breaking 3 bottles. wow, that place will not be a selling feature for Glasshouse residents.
That's my regular LC... I've been there many times (typically on Saturday afternoons, mind you) and never seen anything like that in there. But for any Glasshouse residents who don't find this location to their liking, there is another one a block away in Cityplace.

Now that I think about it, it is kind of odd that there are two LC's basically two blocks apart... makes you wonder why they closed the Winnipeg Square location instead of the Cityplace one.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 2:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Now that I think about it, it is kind of odd that there are two LC's basically two blocks apart...
Is it really? They probably both do quite well.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 3:22 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

The LC is in the business of selling liqour. Of course they would have plenty of sales capacity in an area where so many drunks live.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 3:24 PM

Well, that plus the fact that when you combine residents and workers the area has the highest population density in the city by a longshot, but who's counting.

Anyway, my comment wasn't directed at the fact that there are two liquor stores in the area, it's just surprise that they aren't spread out a bit more. The one that used to be in Winnipeg Square used to do what looked like fairly brisk business too... who knows.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Well, that plus the fact that when you combine residents and workers the area has the highest population density in the city by a longshot, but who's counting.

Anyway, my comment wasn't directed at the fact that there are two liquor stores in the area, it's just surprise that they aren't spread out a bit more. The one that used to be in Winnipeg Square used to do what looked like fairly brisk business too... who knows.
I think the problem in Winnipeg square is that is virtually empty all day Saturday.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 5:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Now in Alberta where there are private liquor stores, there'd be about 5 times as many downtown. They are cheap to operate and there's always someone desperate enough to start one.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
That's my regular LC... I've been there many times (typically on Saturday afternoons, mind you) and never seen anything like that in there. But for any Glasshouse residents who don't find this location to their liking, there is another one a block away in Cityplace.

Now that I think about it, it is kind of odd that there are two LC's basically two blocks apart... makes you wonder why they closed the Winnipeg Square location instead of the Cityplace one.
I think there were always 2 LC's downtown. I remember one at Donald and Ellice (giant tiger bldg) and at the same time there was one in the Bay on the Mezzanine level.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 2:14 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
How far back are you going? I don't remember either of those.
How about Main and Market?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
How about Main and Market?
That one I recall. Always thought it was a shame that the entire commercial building it was in was torn down to make way for a small Playhouse rehearsal space and a big, useless windswept plaza.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 4:13 AM

You should cross post that to the Winnipeg Roads thread.

Does anyone know why the Assiniboine is so high? Riverman?

All the snow melted 6 weeks ago and it's been a dry spring. The river barely touched the river walk until a couple days ago. What have you been up to in Regina, having torrential rains or something?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 12:12 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

No the province made a huge underestimation of the amount of moisture in Sask and didn't sufficiently empty the resevoir. Water resources, like the the rest of the MB government, are incompetent bunglers.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 1:01 PM

Quote:
That one I recall. Always thought it was a shame that the entire commercial building it was in was torn down to make way for a small Playhouse rehearsal space and a big, useless windswept plaza.
Is there any glimmer of hope the WSO add-on at Pantages actually happens?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 2:07 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post

All the snow melted 6 weeks ago and it's been a dry spring. The river barely touched the river walk until a couple days ago. What have you been up to in Regina, having torrential rains or something?
Haha. Not around here. We got a bit on Saturday, otherwise it has been dry since Easter.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 2:33 PM

Quote:
The Main and Market actually made way for an addition to the Playhouse which included a badly needed lobby. The plaza is also useful as a prevent space for people to gather before doors open.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
Talked to a person today who is involved with installing the cable/wiring for the security system at the parkade. Twenty-eight HD cameras are to be installed, including the stairway areas.
You can have all the cameras you want however that alone is not a security system. You need someone to be actively monitoring those feeds and pro-actively reacting to situations that are unfolding. Being able to pull video of a "person of interest" after a murder has happened will not instill a feeling of safety in most people.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post

Sask had a fast melt. The flows in the Qu'Appelle were double what was predicted. The problem with this wet cycle is that every event is exaggerated. We had average snowpack but way above average runoff.

It is really receding now but the Qu'Appelle lakes are all flooded so there is still a lot of water heading your way.

One thing to watch for in the next few years is the spill of the Quill Lakes into the Qu'Appelle system. It is not believed that this has happened since the 1880's. This would add another 13,000 SQ KM to the drainage basin.

The Quill basin has no other outlet and normally relies on evaporation. The lakes have risen 6m in the last 10 years and are less than a metre from spilling now.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 5:59 PM

^ One of the initial homicides reported took place behind the APTN building and was reported by security personnel and thier "cctv" system was used as evidence. The second was in the back lane next to the new parkade/dumpster. The information provided by the poster had to do with the parkades "security systems" and nothing more, safety in the downtown area is another matter and an entirely different discussion.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 6:17 PM

Reg: moderators

Simple. At the Bottom of each local, Man./Sask. Canada, Albert, BC etc...thier is a list of all moderators in the bottom right hand corner of each page.(RED). It's listed under moderators, then again under moderators # 5 in this particular local.

This page:

Moderators
Moderators : 5
Archiseek, 1ajs, Tony, Stu, itom 987

You can also find All Forum Staff/Forum Rules on page 1 of this website(home page)
Forum Rules

One account per person.

No antisocial behavior, trolling, spamming, profanity, etc.

No illegal activity, no adult content...etc...

Forum Staff:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showgroups.php?

Hope this helps.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan